Low crowds for recent metal tours...

I have noticed low turn out. It is especially concerning when bands come to a big city like L.A. and play a venue that holds 1000 and only 200 or under show up. It could be because the low or no advertising, timing, distance of the show for many, or cash. It seems like everyone (band and venue) depend only on internet advertising or websites to announce shows. Back in the day bands (major and local) would take out adds in the local entertainment paper. Now you just see listings, which are sometimes very small, for clubs with who is playing.

Back in the day bands (major and local) would take out adds in the local entertainment paper. Now you just see listings, which are sometimes very small, for clubs with who is playing.

Because of the internet, I think it's actually more expensive to take out ads in physical print. We've done it a few times and it suuuucks, and there's hardly any buzz generated by the physical ads. :(

Because of the internet, I think it's actually more expensive to take out ads in physical print. We've done it a few times and it suuuucks, and there's hardly any buzz generated by the physical ads. :(

depending on the show. I know a few small fest in the Chicago area that people didnt even know that was happening but if they put an ad in the Chicago Reader or Illinios Entertainer people would have at least come across it. Beleive it or not there are lots of people who dont look for show info online.

photoih.jpg

I may have to add a smaller version of this for my sig.

And yes - I am taking my lazy fat ass to a gig tonight! :lol:

Turnout here in the Phoenix area hasn't been the best of late either. At the Cage show this past Friday there were a whopping 19 paying customers according to Pat (nailz). But Cage still rocked the house, although I don't think they were too pleased with the turnout and left immediately after their set. And for Wayne Static there were maybe 150 people in a 1000 seat venue. I was very surprised at that considering Static-X almost always sold out the same venue.

I was going to post about Saxon over the weekend, but I screwed up my account here and couldn't post.

I didn't go to the show (I actually was having dinner at the Afgan place with my wife), but it looked like there was an OK crowd there. Line going in wasn't particularly long, but it looks like they mostly filled the parking lot.

Looking forward to the show tonight.

It was a respectable-sized crowd, though I honestly expected more. I have no idea how you could be right there - with Saxon playing, no less - and not go in.

Beleive it or not there are lots of people who dont look for show info online.

I believe it, but since advertising online is so much more popular, and the printed media is in danger of being extinct, getting printed ads are that much more expensive. It's a shame, because I still read newspapers, but it's ridiculously expensive to get an ad in a real newspaper (that's bigger than your thumb) for more than 2 days for less than a grand.

That being said, I'm going off of the Washington Post's rates and they're probably high because it's such a popular newspaper.

It was a respectable-sized crowd, though I honestly expected more. I have no idea how you could be right there - with Saxon playing, no less - and not go in.

First off, not really a fan of Saxon (Mostly because I don't know Saxon, not because of anything I heard). Second, I was having a night out with the wife unencumbered by my son, and we needed to pick him up by 10:30.

That being said, I'm going off of the Washington Post's rates and they're probably high because it's such a popular newspaper.

The Post isn't the only option in town, and probably isn't even the best option. There is the City Paper and the Examiner. There may be others that I don't know about.

Anyways, Joakim was pretty damn amazed at the crowd last night. He just couldn't get over it.

The Post isn't the only option in town, and probably isn't even the best option. There is the City Paper and the Examiner. There may be others that I don't know about.

You're right about that, but I'll be honest, I don't know many people who read the Examiner or the City Paper. We used to call it the "Shitty Paper". I'd be interested in finding out how many people actually read it, because I do love putting out real physical ads.

There's also the legendary Milestone in Charlotte, but that's more for small shows & punk rock shows. Total hole-in-the-wall dive bar, but I love that place. Played some great shows there & had some great times there!

Don't forget Tremont Music Hall in Charlotte - I saw Alestorm there not too long ago, and have seen Blind Guardian and Symphony X there.

2 places that are further away, but are in places that you could make a weekend trip out of it if it works are the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach and the Orange Peel in Asheville.

Also the Fillmore Charlotte for "bigger" shows - Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel 11/5 :headbang:

Anyways, Joakim was pretty damn amazed at the crowd last night. He just couldn't get over it.

There was actually a pretty decent turn-out for the Sabaton show, especially being on a Monday night. Of course, it goes saying that they put on one totally kick-ass show!

To bad for having to put up with that annoying drunk (or at least very obnoxious) jackass in the audience, though. What the fuck did he keep yelling (until somebody in the back finally yelled back "Shut the fuck up!" at him)

well see for me.. its distance... closest metal shows are usually 5 hours away... and on weeknights..
Progpower I try to go to but again its a flight away and often i am out of the country that time of the year.

I am in the minority but if I had shows within 2 hours of me I would go on a regular basis (5 requires a hotel stay, which means 2 days off work)

However! i am getting to PP 2013 for Pretty Maids!

I went to the frets of fury tour at Station 4 in St. Paul, MN last night and it totally owned. All the bands were fantastic and put on a great show despite the lack of attendance. It was really disheartening to see only about 50 people or so at such a great package :(

I have a question, be it for Diabolik or anyone else who wants to chime in - would you guys consider that the younger demographics that would be "Blackguard's Fanbase" is also Dragonforce's main fanbase?

I have a question, be it for Diabolik or anyone else who wants to chime in - would you guys consider that the younger demographics that would be "Blackguard's Fanbase" is also Dragonforce's main fanbase?

Powerglove would share more with dragonforce IMO. young comic con kids.

Blackguard, Gauges, tattoos and tanks.