Metal Evolution

Categorization is the main problem with this documentary. As he confesses he is not too familiar with a specific genre, yet he has no problem labeling some bands under a certain genre that is does not know much about. As he defined what power metal is , he almost defined Iron Maiden. And even though he is familiar with Iron Maiden and since he labelled them into NWOBHM (which is more of a "point in time" genre, Diamond Head and Maiden could not be more different), he could not call them power metal.

See, I would have to disagree with you there. I don't know what his definition is as I haven't seen these yet, but in terms of Maiden, I would argue they basically are pre-power metal. If for sake of argument if Maiden were to come out today, I'm pretty damn sure people would label them as power metal. Hell, a lot of bands trying to be Iron Maiden are power metal. From reviews I read when Helloween came out, people initially were slagging them even for being an Iron Maiden clone (even though Kai's inspiration was more Priest than Maiden). That is my problem though with calling NWOBHM a genre. It isn't. It's a movement. Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Witchfinder General, Tank and Saxon are all considered NWOBHM, yet most of them don't sound a damn thing alike.

are they adding a Black Metal and Death Metal episode to the DVD set? hahaha. kind of incomplete without it, but hey it's VH1 and they don't like extremity it seems (or like i was told personally).

I'm going to go ahead and correct myself...I was wrong. :D

glad i didn't have to jump in with the definition. hahaha.

but yes, it seems Amazon is going this way on things they don't expect to sell many copies of.

i actually just got a few boxes of CreateSpace CDRs from labels with ILD (my distributor) and while they look VERY good, they definitely cannot replace the original CD. i was impressed however, but i would rather spend the money, as a label, to print the real thing. and if i cannot print the real thing then a digital only release. but a CDR copy is slightly insulting to the consumer i would think.

glad i didn't have to jump in with the definition. hahaha.

but yes, it seems Amazon is going this way on things they don't expect to sell many copies of.

i actually just got a few boxes of CreateSpace CDRs from labels with ILD (my distributor) and while they look VERY good, they definitely cannot replace the original CD. i was impressed however, but i would rather spend the money, as a label, to print the real thing. and if i cannot print the real thing then a digital only release. but a CDR copy is slightly insulting to the consumer i would think.

I can see a CDR copy being offensive to audiophiles/uber collectors (present company accepted), but most other people probably wouldn't care or even immediately tell the difference.

I really wasn't a fan of this series.
As a fan of metal already, it really didnt make me go "oh wow, I didnt know that information."
Plus they did a section on shock rock and nu metal, which my opinion have nothing to do with metal in the slightest.
Its pretty good for someone who doesnt know about the genre, and are interested.
However it wasnt all that great.

Was hoping for some additional footage, but it seems these are basically what aired, so no real value; especially to those well versed in the history of metal to begin with.