Metal Evolution

I've been a lifelong Savatage fan and have never once considered them Progressive Metal... maybe my view is skewed but just cause they incorporate some orchestral arrangements and have a few long songs I don't believe this defines them as a Progressive Metal band... Certainly not when you compare them to the likes of Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Threshold, etc... I'd like to hear what some of our other Prog Fans on the forums think about this.

Yeah...I always looked at Savatage as being straight up power metal (back when power stood for something....not bands like Edguy). Unfortunately, they veered into what I call "Broadway Metal" with Streets....they became theatrical, not progressive. I also have a hard time considering Queensryche as that progressive.....Mindcrime was when they moved away from their slightly progressive tendencies to a more simple song structure with catchy melodies, but they're considered progressive because of it being a concept album. I guess that must mean that W.A.S.P. is progressive thanks to The Crimson Idol, eh?

I also have a hard time considering Queensryche as that progressive.....Mindcrime was when they moved away from their slightly progressive tendencies to a more simple song structure with catchy melodies...
True. When I think simplistic song structures, the first song that comes to mind is Suite Sister Mary. :loco:

...but they're considered progressive because of it being a concept album. I guess that must mean that W.A.S.P. is progressive thanks to The Crimson Idol, eh?
I think people have their own definition of what "progressive" means. For some people it requires odd time signatures. For others, it means doing something new.
I would say the uniqueness of the band's overall sound, Tate's distinct vocal style, being the band who introduced the concept album to the genre, and so distinctly changing their sound (from disc to disc), makes them "progressive".

True. When I think simplistic song structures, the first song that comes to mind is Suite Sister Mary. :loco:

I think people have their own definition of what "progressive" means. For some people it requires odd time signatures. For others, it means doing something new.
I would say the uniqueness of the band's overall sound, Tate's distinct vocal style, being the band who introduced the concept album to the genre, and so distinctly changing their sound (from disc to disc), makes them "progressive".

uuummmm VoiVod beat them with the whole concept album I think. Killing Technology is the start off point for the VoioVod story. While not being full on prog. They are a band that was always way ahead of the rest in changing and trying new things.

Categorization is the main problem with this documentary. As he confesses he is not too familiar with a specific genre, yet he has no problem labeling some bands under a certain genre that is does not know much about. As he defined what power metal is , he almost defined Iron Maiden. And even though he is familiar with Iron Maiden and since he labelled them into NWOBHM (which is more of a "point in time" genre, Diamond Head and Maiden could not be more different), he could not call them power metal.

Labeling is a never ending argument anyway in metal , just on this page Queensryche and Savatage is being discussed in terms of genre.

if there was an "Overrated" episode they could be on that one.

yeah, can't agree with you there. Savatage are/were pretty awesome and if anything are underrated. As for being progressive no not at all unless you are referring to the 'Hall of the Mountain King' period when Meatloaf found his Steinman and they started to make the band an Andrew Lloyd Webber rock project. And they were "progressive" at this point well then that was long ago; we saw where Savatage was going, it went there and stayed there, thus no longer progress any further. To call Savatage a progressive metal band is kind of stretching itm to say they are not awesome is just wrong.
Wait does Savatage have a 20 minute song? They have keys and from what I can tell there are a group of people that believe it only takes keys and a 20 minute song to be progressive, so maybe...
Come to think of it isn't that how Symphony X got in the club?

I think Bob's hatred of Savatage simply comes from how praised they are around these parts.

I mean, he used to be a huge Nightwish fan and is a huge Avantasia fan.

I think if he sat down and listened to Streets or Wake of Magellan or Dead Winter Dead in full, his opinion of them would change immediately.

I think Bob's hatred of Savatage simply comes from how praised they are around these parts.

I think if he sat down and listened to Streets or Wake of Magellan or Dead Winter Dead in full, his opinion of them would change immediately.

nope, saw them live once and it wasnt very good.

I can understand completely.

uuummmm VoiVod beat them with the whole concept album I think. Killing Technology is the start off point for the VoioVod story. While not being full on prog. They are a band that was always way ahead of the rest in changing and trying new things.
I knew someone would find one that pre-dated it. :mad:

So allow me to rephrase... the first one that made an impact. The reason concept albums became so wildly popular in the genre, is because of Mindcrime.