Metal Evolution

3. The controversial subject matter that would follow most of those bands isn't exactly something suitable for the Bon Jovi fans tuning in or the execs signing the checks.
I would think the controversy would sell. There is a shock value there, that I think would actually be more enticing to the average person, than say the piece on NWOBHM.

This sounds like no surprise and certainly a band like Metal Church, Lizzy Borden, Armored Saint, Sanctuary, Omen, and god forbid Manilla Road deserve no nods.
I do however think that power metal at least in the U.S. does owe a little probs to Progpower, obviously the fest has made some impact for the appeal of the genre here in the U.S.
Ok Glenn that's all you get, let's going back to arguing now.:lol:
But seriously it is not a kissing ass statement I just really believe there is truth to it. So here's toya:kickass::kickass:

Actually Metal Church was mentioned at Grunge episode where they were talking about Seattle metal scene in 80s :heh:

Curious, was King's X mentioned in the grunge section (or The Melvins). Also with Grunge did he go early into grunge or stick mostly with the MTV-grunge?

Curious, was King's X mentioned in the grunge section (or The Melvins). Also with Grunge did he go early into grunge or stick mostly with the MTV-grunge?

King's X are one of those bands that don't belong anywhere but could easily be adopt into many genres. I would have thought the 90s would have made them huge but I guess they were too alternative.
The episdoe dropped Mudhoney, Green River and Malfuction but not much more. I don't believe their was a mention of Mother Love Bone but they were more T Rex than grudge.
The worse thing to ever happen to Pearl Jam was Andy dying and that other guy stepping in. Mother Love a star that certainly burned out to quickly, before it was even noticed on the map.

Pearl Jam nowhere near compared to Mother Love Bone, but in fairness few did.
Apple is brilliant. As good a disc as there's ever been. That said, Ten is also a brilliant disc. I guess it depends on whether you see Pearl Jam's post-Ten efforts as actually being a detriment. OK... now that I think about it, you're right. MLB > PJ.

Hey Zod...

I LOVED MLB and thought Andy was brilliant. I also raise my hand proudly as a post-Ten fanboy. Just in cased you missed it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right but you have to understand that this isn't 'metal for people who spend all day on the internet talking about metal and running labels and booking shows and downloading/buying too many albums', it's 'metal for VH1 viewers'. Quite a difference and worlds ahead of Eddie Trunk. People should know about the roots before you get TOO deep into a genre and this is a tv show with limited time. An introduction to nu-metal is going to be just that -- an introduction. I don't even know who the fuck Mordred is and I grew up listening to nu-metal (well until I turned 13 or so).

THIS.

This series is being presented by VH1 Classic. So you have to take it for what it is...an OVERVIEW of the evolution of metal. We are really talking about 40 YEARS of heavy metal. What can you expect with 60 minutes (45 w/ commercials) about any factor of the metal genre. You can cover the basics and that is about it. No deep cuts, or that cult band you have always loved. They will get no respect so instead of nitpicking who WASN'T covered sit back and say "WOW! They gave money and invested in an 11 PART documentary about Heavy Metal."

We should be happy that VH1 is trying to convert new fans to metal with this series, because my dad watched a few episodes with me (he is music buff himself, but not metal fan) and was constantly saying "wow, I didn't know that, that's impressive" etc etc.

There my rant in support of Sam Dunn and his efforts is over. :)

HAIL & KILL!

THIS.

This series is being presented by VH1 Classic. So you have to take it for what it is...an OVERVIEW of the evolution of metal. We are really talking about 40 YEARS of heavy metal. What can you expect with 60 minutes (45 w/ commercials) about any factor of the metal genre. You can cover the basics and that is about it. No deep cuts, or that cult band you have always loved. They will get no respect so instead of nitpicking who WASN'T covered sit back and say "WOW! They gave money and invested in an 11 PART documentary about Heavy Metal."

We should be happy that VH1 is trying to convert new fans to metal with this series, because my dad watched a few episodes with me (he is music buff himself, but not metal fan) and was constantly saying "wow, I didn't know that, that's impressive" etc etc.

There my rant in support of Sam Dunn and his efforts is over. :)

HAIL & KILL!

I personally get the fact "cult" bands aren't going to be mentioned and reallize what the show is. However it just seems that something created by a metal guy for metal people would be a little more than what VH1 has always pumped. His glam episode for instance was not much different from the "When Metal Ruled" VH1 did about 10 years ago. But it is what it is.
So I guess no Death SS in tomorrow night's episode.:lol:

Hey Zod...

I LOVED MLB and thought Andy was brilliant. I also raise my hand proudly as a post-Ten fanboy. Just in cased you missed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mohB_7y_7f4

Wow. That was really cool. I've got to come down on the MLB side as well. I thought Ten was brilliant, but ended up liking each follow-up significantly less. Andrew Wood probably would have disappointed eventually too. He cemented his legacy by dying young.

To go further off-topic, Crimson Glory's much-hated Strange and Beautiful album always makes me think of Mother Love Bone for some reason.

Wow. That was really cool. I've got to come down on the MLB side as well. I thought Ten was brilliant, but ended up liking each follow-up significantly less. Andrew Wood probably would have disappointed eventually too. He cemented his legacy by dying young.

To go further off-topic, Crimson Glory's much-hated Strange and Beautiful album always makes me think of Mother Love Bone for some reason.

well "brilliant" I would not use to describe Ten, certainly not alongside of albums like 'Darkside of the Moon' which are brilliant albums. Still I liked Ten, really have a hard time stomaching it now. That is mainly due of hearing way too much and that fact Pearl Jam seemed to very gotten worse has that went on. For christ sake Eddie eat some Raisin Bran it will help you stay regular and you might not sound so constipated all the time.
I do agree with exactly what you said about Andy; the fact that his death did solidify his greatness before he had time to reunion it it.
'Strange and Beautiful' does the same for me actually. Odd that you mentioned it because I was listening to 'Apple' earlier and 'Strange and Beautiful' followed.:lol: It always happens.
Mother Love Bone were and always will be one of the must underrated bands of the 90s. Thinking back beside NYHC, MLB, Warrior Soul, and The Cure were my top bands through that terrible decade. Though I can listen to them now and remember the few good things of the time like my punk rock girlfriend who could not stand Dream Theatre and was happy when that 'Pull Me Under' single from snapped the tap because I listened to it so damn much.:lol: (passing thought)