Need feedback on PP USA IX

As much as I enjoy the excitement of having the bands announced over a long period of time, I think announcing the bands earlier (be it at the festival or not) will have little to no effect on the success of the festival. This is the eighth one now, and since virtually everyone who enjoys the genre has heard of the festival and those who don't will probably notice when a band they like gets booked, things should still be okay.

I do agree that it is very important to make the festival something exclusive. While some of the old Progpower lineups were phenomenal, the reality of the situation is most of the old headliners are doing extensive US tours now, and outside of the hardcore fanbase for the festival, people are much less willing to travel for a band that they can see in their own backyard vs one that isn't likely to play anywhere else in the US.

I think announcing the bands early will work fine, but I think there should be a bit more of a focus on bands who haven't played the US before/are not touring around the festival, because that's something I think will get a lot of fence-sitters on a plane to Atlanta.

Count me in on this. NEVERMORE would rule! Especially the idea of playing Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety. Although Ascension would cry for days.:heh:

Well...since you decided to include me in your quest to hug Nevermore's nuts, l'll comment. You're right...Nevermore would be a no go for me...but there is always the possibility to score a one day ticket from someone or just plain bail on their set...l don't want to waste my time. Not to mention they would probably be hitting clubs all around the states anyway & fanbois like yourself that wanted to see them would have the opportunity. Why take away a slot from a band, like Poverty's No Crime, Andromeda, Labyrinth, etc., that doesn't get to the states? For an exclusive set of some album irrelevant to the prog/power metal scene ? Naaaa...tell them to do it at Jaxx so the 100 people that want to see that can.

Ok...back to the topic...l don't think it matters about announcing bands early. The loyalists will be there & those like me who go strictly for the lineup will have more time to make a decision. This years lineup is nothing amazing to me with the exception of Vanden Plas. But, VP alone wouldn't draw me. But, add Redemption, Threshold, Pagan's Mind, Communic, & Sonata Arctica and l'm good. That's less than half the bands at PP but it's enough. I don't ask for perfection...just enough to make it interesting & give me something to think about. Plus, as I have seen, there are those whose finances just didn't allow them to make the journey this year (as well as other years)...the extra time could give them a headstart on the money issue.

That's my fitty cent. :heh:

I prefer that you announce earlier so that I have more time to get to know any bands that you book that I may not yet be familiar with! I will be there either way as I have been for the last 7 years.

Thanks,
Bill
QFT

I am willing to bet 95% of the people who attend, do so because they either have one or more bands they love in the show, or know that they are coming up there to have a kickass 3 (4,5) day vacation. Or both, like me.

When you have to pay 80 bucks to see a band like RUSH or 120 to see the Police, paying about 150 bucks for 15 bands is a fucking bargain. You could put the tickets on sale right now, with NO bands announced, and my check would be in the mail tomorrow.

Nathanfest... HAHHHAHAAHAH, I almost fell out of my chair.

I know! I'm sitting here reading this thinking "Is he talking about that Nathan's hot dog eating contest?"

ROTFL

I think Glenn should do what he needs to do in order to ensure a good festival for next year. If that means booking early, then that is how it will have to be. I think it would be fine to maybe conclude this year's PP festival with an announcement of the bands he booked for next year. It would sort of cap off the festival nicely.

You're right...Nevermore would be a no go for me...but there is always the possibility to score a one day ticket from someone or just plain bail on their set...l don't want to waste my time.
Ehhh... suck it up. I haven't been interested in a headliner's set since PPII.

Why take away a slot from a band, like Poverty's No Crime, Andromeda, Labyrinth, etc., that doesn't get to the states?
No you wouldn't. Nevermore would be a headliner. Those other bands wouldn't be. At worst, you'd be taking a slot a way from someone awful... like Jorn. But hey, maybe we can convince Nevermore to do 12 or 13 Whitesnake covers.:loco:

The point is moot. Glenn is not going to book Nevermore, especially that far in advance. I was only joking around with that suggestion.

Zod

I have no problem with early announcements. That way you have time to make a decision, plan your trip well in advance, and save enough capital. Count me in!

I think the nature of the situation dictates that you be aggressive early and go after the bands you want to fill your roster. It is true that you have competition now in the form of other US-based festivals but I would think that, based on the types of bands you prefer to book, that ProgPower USA is still considered the preeminent festival of its type in this country. This is not meant as an insult to the other festivals at all. The mere fact that there are competing festivals gives me hope that one day, if the stars align themselves properly, the US will have a fertile metal scene not only for domestic bands but more and more international ones as well. Glenn, you have developed a successful business model over time and your formula, while it probably requires tweaking here and there to adapt to a given year's circumstances, works and it works well. There is a reason ProgPower USA is so highly regarded. Bands want to play for festival. Fans want to attend this festival. I say just go and do what you do best and just begin the process earlier (as you have already indicated this to be the case).

I concur with those who would prefer an earlier ProgPower USA IX line-up announcement. I think it would generate buzz and excitement for all the right reasons while giving us something to look forward to a bit earlier than has been done in the past. Announcing at this year's fest who you have already booked for next year would be a great idea. Then as you make new bookings you announce them along the way. As has already been stated by others an early announcment gives people time to evaluate if they want to attend the fest (based on the roster you've chosen), a chance to prepare themselves financially if they do wish to attend, and a chance to acquaint themselves with the discographies of bands with which they are unfamiliar. If you're able to keep the timing of the gold badge and general ticket sales for the fest comparable to what they are now then I think this would be best as it gives everyone a fair chance to make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase tickets and save whatever funds are required to do so should they wish to purchase.

Although the current situation dictates that you be aggressive in pursuing bands you wish to book and perhaps focusing, at least in part, a little harder in obtaining a few bands that have yet to perform in the States your past history gives me nothing but confidence in your continued ability to construct a roster that will offer something for everyone. Granted it's a very tall order to build a roster with bands that everyone will like but I don't think it's ever been a requirement that everyone like every band. The festival from what I have learned is much more than just the sum of its parts. Sure it's the bands but it's also the people and the environment that you have created for everyone that makes ProgPower so special to begin with. Just continue to do what you do best and I'm sure continued success will follow! :headbang:

Sweet Mary, I've typed a book haven't I? Time to go ice down my fingers....

The drawback:
*The excitement of the announcements is gone.
*The momentum built towards the ticket sale date from January to March is gone.

I have neglected to chime in thus far, because every time I comment on the business end of stuff, it seems to earn me complaints from one sector or another. I will say this: If these are the only two drawbacks you can find with announcing bands earlier, then I say absolutely go for it. You don't necessarily need the ticket sales momentum... it builds itself during the week before, and you've only had a non-sellout once since the second fest -- that's one hell of a track record. The excitement of the gradual announcements is fun, but overrated; I think most of us (if not all) agree that we can do without it, in favor of allowing you to have bands booked earlier in advance.

The one other neat thing that could come out of this is that if you have a band confirmed for PPIX by the time of PP VIII, you could invite them to PP VIII as guests so they can hang out with the crowd and build anticipation for their performance one year away. That would actually be really cool if we could meet this year with a few of next year's performers! That actually provides an aspect of year-to-year continuity that we don't have yet.
Ken

Fabulous idea man! Love it!

My wife, twin daughters and I will be there regardless of the bill, because I know Glenn will put a quality festival out every year.

What hasn't been said already? Anywho...being a hardcore PP attendee since PP IV (I didn't know about it until after PP III--sorry) and knowing that I will attend every future PP regardless, I can only mirror what has been the predominant sentiment expressed on this thread: Glenn, do what ya gotta do. I do want the best bands and the best way to get them is to get them early. The earlier the better. I was never a fan of the old band-a-week-disclosure as it drove me nuts as I would salivate at the computer every day hoping for some leak that would satiate my overwhelming need for more information about the bands who would be appearing. ENOUGH ALREADY!! Give me the bands!

As to the issue that early band booking and disclosure will/may lead to last minute changes, etc., because of the ever-changing line-up changes and band breakups, does anyone remember....this year? So far, Threshold lost not only a guitarist but thier vocalist; Firewind "lost" their vocalist; Sonata Arctica lost thier guitarist. However, each band is still on the bill. If these changes had caused any of these bands to have to cancel their appearance at PP, Glenn would be "scrambling last minute" to fill the slot, etc. (As he has had to do in past years when bands pulled out.) Hence, I can't see any problem with early band procurement or disclosure that can't and hasn't happened with the traditional boookings and disclosure we have had in the past.

I see nothing but positives with early bookings and letting us know who the bands are.

The only thing I can add to this thread - coming in so late on it - is that I'm quite sure my employer will be pleased that my productivity will spike on Thursdays in Jan-Mar '08 as I won't spend hours hitting refresh every week waiting for the next band to be announced and then spend the rest of the day reading/posting opinions on whether Band X deserves the spot they got. :loco:

Glenn, I hope you will take this opportunity to go off the beaten path. Show them all why you are the Jesus Christ of the Prog/Power community in the US. I really hope that you bring in Dream Evil, Seraphim, or Dark Moor. My greatest hope is that you give the Harveston Seal of Approval with the US scene by bringing in American bands Suspyre, Zandelle, Katagory V or Outworld.

Put your mark out there for all of eternity.

And, yes, it would be a stroke of genius if you announce bands early on.

Peace,
Ray C.