Oddball bands?

Does anyone know what the reception was like for Spiral Architect at Prog-Power II? If they worked, then Spastic Ink or Watchtower could probably work as well.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Does anyone know what the reception was like for Spiral Architect at Prog-Power II? If they worked, then Spastic Ink or Watchtower could probably work as well.

Um, I don't like them at all, but they were horrible live compared to there cd.

It seemed like their own music was too difficult for them to master on stage. They sounded a mess. They also just had some major line-up changes (which might have been the whole problem). My opinion, I believe, was also shared by people who DO like Spiral Architect.

I will 2nd Arcturus. Also I think Hollenthon (if they tour) and Penumbra would be great.

I wouldn't consider Beauty and the Beast bands oddballs, but I bet some other people would. So in that case, Epica would be amazing.

In the other direction, Russell Allen's solo project would be awesome :)

Robin

I don't think the vast majority of the crowd was into Spiral Architect, but they did have a pretty strong following up front if I recall right. I sat back and watched although I wasn't all that familiar with them. I liked the diversity that a band like that brought to the festival. They did have some appeal though from some of the various progressive boards like Perpetual Motion. Bands like Fantomos, Ulver, and Solefald are way under the radar if you ask me.

When I think of an "oddball band" I think of a band that can play a #2 or #3 slot and is somewhat known, but most of the bands you mentioned are fairly unknown to the general prog/power fan.

I guess my pick for an "oddball" that would go over pretty big is Freak Kitchen. I think Glenn has become aware of this band so perhaps there's hope us that would love to see them play the festival !!

Britt

I think Arcturus could so do Prog-Power. Their newest album is their most accessible yet (whether that's a good thing or not.....). Then they have the more mainstream name power with Vortex being on vocals now, and Hellhammer still on drums. It's also basically an all-star progressive lineup for fans of that type of music. And they still haven't set foot in the US, and I would be suprised if they did outside a festival date like this.

Just to clarify, I consider Pink Cream 69 the oddball this year. Honestly, who were you more suprised about? Orphaned Land or PC 69? If you doubt it, go back and look at the threads prior to and when the bands were announced.

It's not about a specific style of music, it's about delievering something that you don't expect. That's the definition of oddball in my book.

Glenn H.

DarkTide said:
They did have some appeal though from some of the various progressive boards like Perpetual Motion. Bands like Fantomas, Ulver, and Solefald are way under the radar if you ask me.

Fantomas is really an all-star lineup. Musically, it's Mike Patton's writing, mega John Zorn Naked City influence. But you've got Mike Patton, coming from a bigger band than anyone who have played Prog-Power (Faith No More), and Dave Lombardo and Buzz Osbourne in the same situation. Even if not everyone loves the music, I would think there would be some name-power alone, at least maybe people who didn't know them would be curious.

Ulver is another oddity. I don't think they would ever play Prog-Power, but if they did I couldn't see them headlining or anything, which is odd considering they're a very prolific and respected third wave black metal band, and then moved from that to being a very prolific and respected progressive band. A live show would be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

It's true that Pink Cream 69 is something unexpected in a kind of general sense, but musically they're not too terribly far from a lot of power metal bands, especially power metal bands with more of a rock base and a guitar focus. It's slower, groovier, and bluesier. The "surprise factor" as I see it is that they sing about relationships instead of hobbits. If they do well, I vote for Freak Kitchen at a future Prog-Power.

Summary: Pink Cream 69 are one type of "oddball"......and Orphaned Land are a bit of a different type of "oddball."

Barking Pumpkin said:
Fantomas is really an all-star lineup. Musically, it's Mike Patton's writing, mega John Zorn Naked City influence. But you've got Mike Patton, coming from a bigger band than anyone who have played Prog-Power (Faith No More), and Dave Lombardo and Buzz Osbourne in the same situation. Even if not everyone loves the music, I would think there would be some name-power alone, at least maybe people who didn't know them would be curious.

Ulver is another oddity. I don't think they would ever play Prog-Power, but if they did I couldn't see them headlining or anything, which is odd considering they're a very prolific and respected third wave black metal band, and then moved from that to being a very prolific and respected progressive band. A live show would be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

I didn't know that about Fantomas. I did listen to their latest after downloading it somewhere, but it didn't appeal to me. I never seem to hear much mention about them at the various boards I scope out, so I took it they were way under the radar. Perhaps I give too little credit to the prog fans that really do follow that band?

I listened to the latest Ulver the other night, and I found it incredibly boring. That's not to say that everyone would feel that way, but they would truly seem to be an "oddball" band at prog power. I just can't imagine there being a big appeal for them at Prog Power.

Britt

rockyracoon said:
Anathema is mellow??? Are you kidding me. Sure they have some more laid back stuff. But wow, maybe you should check out their entire catalog. Its pretty extensive.

Really? I don't know Anathema's music well at all, my impression was that they were one of the bands that went from the death/doom type sound (which I'm not a huge fan of), to post-rock or more atmospheric stuff or whatever.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Really? I don't know Anathema's music well at all, my impression was that they were one of the bands that went from the death/doom type sound (which I'm not a huge fan of), to post-rock or more atmospheric stuff or whatever.

true their sound has changed, but it would be tough to categorize them as mellow, imo...

DarkTide said:
I didn't know that about Fantomas. I did listen to their latest after downloading it somewhere, but it didn't appeal to me. I never seem to hear much mention about them at the various boards I scope out, so I took it they were way under the radar. Perhaps I give too little credit to the prog fans that really do follow that band?
Britt

I came to Fantomas being a really big Mr. Bungle (California/Disco Volante) fan. But I was looking for the wrong thing in their music, as Trey Spruance is the main Mr. Bungle writer, and Mike Patton composes everything for Fantomas. It's more like a taken to extreme 'Disco Volante' (produced by John Zorn) than the melodically oriented California. A lot of the concepts in Fantomas come from John Zorn. (flash card compositions, cartoon music, film soundtrack covers, avant-garde jazz influences, etc.). Mike Patton and Trevor Dunn (bass) have worked a whole lot with John Zorn. Mike Patton is one of my top five favorite vocalists and is a real vocal master. And he can make all the weird noises he wants with Fantomas. :D

The Fantomas albums took a long time for me to get into, but I like them. If you want something a whole bunch more accessible, get 'The Director's Cut,' which is Fantomas versions of various movie themes.

BP, The Directors Cut is the disc that I have heard from Fantomas. I thought the idea was cool, but it didn't work for me. I deleted the mp3's after a couple spins. All in all I'm not the best judge of really progressive matrial, because most of the time it just missed the mark with me. Maybe if I come across it again I'll give it another shot. I can be a patient listener at times, and on occasion things hit me after multiple listens. Perhaps that would be the case with some of these prog bands.

Britt

Creeps said:
Bah, PC69 is a rock band through and through. If you must put a new label on them, then melodic-rock will do. And thank Glenn :worship: for booking them, my money is on them, Orphaned Land, Therion, Circus Maximus and Manticora for show highlights.
I always describe PC 69 as a hard rock band or melodic hard rock/metal, if you will. Big props g-man on getting them over here...dog. Anyone who is a fan of PC 69, check out Razor Back, if you don't already know them. Great melodic hard rock band.

DarkTide said:
BP, The Directors Cut is the disc that I have heard from Fantomas. I thought the idea was cool, but it didn't work for me. I deleted the mp3's after a couple spins. All in all I'm not the best judge of really progressive matrial, because most of the time it just missed the mark with me. Maybe if I come across it again I'll give it another shot. I can be a patient listener at times, and on occasion things hit me after multiple listens. Perhaps that would be the case with some of these prog bands.

Britt

Okay, I thought you meant their 2005 album, 'Suspended Animation.' The Director's Cut is the only one I don't own, although I'm getting it soon. I just wanted to get all of their original material before I picked up that, although the songs I have are very fun listening. I especially love Twin Peaks. ^_^

Check your PM's. ;)

When I said I was looking for oddball bands i'm meaning by what Glen has pointed out bu his definition " Oddball ball bands must have a crossover appeal meaning with clean vocals at some point " .

Some of you are naming bands that have either entire non-clean vocals . I'm looking for bands that combine prog/power with elements of death/black metal.

By the I don't know who posted Pain of Salvation as a oddball but they are definetly not that!!! I'm not a PoS fan anyway.

Barking Pumpkin said:
I forgot if this has been said...

I think Finntroll is easily the most realistic "oddball" band I would expect to see at Prog-Power. They would definitely fit.

I don't think soo. Glen posted awhile back that oddball slots are only open to bands that have clean vocals at some point. He will never book bands that use entirely black/death metal vocals.