Oddball bands?

JosephAcevedo said:
I don't think soo. Glen posted awhile back that oddball slots are only open to bands that have clean vocals at some point. He will never book bands that use entirely black/death metal vocals.

Aha! I haven't listened to them in forever, I forgot about that. So uhh.....disregard what I said. :D

It's not about a specific style of music, it's about delievering something that you don't expect. That's the definition of oddball in my book.

If that's your definition, then I say Stratovarius is the oddball band. It wasn't very long ago that they were saying they "never" plan on playing the US. ;)

JosephAcevedo said:
When I said I was looking for oddball bands i'm meaning by what Glen has pointed out bu his definition " Oddball ball bands must have a crossover appeal meaning with clean vocals at some point " .

Some of you are naming bands that have either entire non-clean vocals . I'm looking for bands that combine prog/power with elements of death/black metal.

I don't know every single band mentioned here, but I think very few don't include clean vocals.

You confused me now. So by looking for "oddball" bands, you mean you're simply looking for metal bands with both clean and harsh vocals? :confused: I can help you better if that's what you mean.

Harvester said:
Every now and then I have to do this. My apologies to everyone but professional promoter mode off....

Personal mode on....

BP,

You epitomize the "prob snob" label.

As for the above comment, you can fuck off.

Glenn H.
Amen, brother! Someone finally said it.

Barking Pumpkin said:
I hate boundaries in music. Real progressive music is no boundaries.
1. oh no you didn't. remember the other thread? you just contradicted yourself.
2. even in the above 2 quoted sequential sentences, you contradict yourself yet again.
3. which is it? Prog for president, or music is a boundless entity of subjective "good" and "bad"? here comes the i told you so and complimentary erk.

I told you so. :erk:

Silent Song said:
1. oh no you didn't. remember the other thread? you just contradicted yourself.
2. even in the above 2 quoted sequential sentences, you contradict yourself yet again.
3. which is it? Prog for president, or music is a boundless entity of subjective "good" and "bad"? here comes the i told you so and complimentary erk.

I told you so. :erk:

That's not what I meant. Genres are important and not worthless. They help with classification. However, they're not important in terms of what is good music and what is bad music. Genres are at least mostly (somewhat) objective. Progressive music is defined as music that moves forward. As in moving music forward, doing new, fresh things. That's why it's basically borderless, because there is no set sound for a progressive band. What I mean I didn't like is imaginary boundaries based on what sound a band has or image, or what they sing about, or whatever. Prog as defined by a lot of people here is music with changing time signatures and lots of solos. If it doesn't sound like that, it's an "oddball" band. They're not the same thing.

Genres are an objective way of classifying something that is subjective (music). So you can say, hey, recommend me x genre. If people think genres don't mean anything, then you can't do that. I still prefer to describe what I like about the music to just saying a genre, but genres are still related and helpful.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Summary: Pink Cream 69 are one type of "oddball"......and Orphaned Land are a bit of a different type of "oddball."

I have to disagree - based on "Mabool," Orphaned Land is progressive metal through and through. I don't think that the occasional death vox make a real difference overall. On the other hand, their earlier material is harder and less polished (but still good stuff).

Still, it's good to see someone not using the "oddball" label to denigrate the band. Like you, I can't wait to see them kick ass.

What about Elvenking? I think they have a pretty unique, somewhat lighthearted style and would qualify as an oddball. I'm not sure what Glenn things about them, or anyone else on this board for that matter, because they aren't mention very often at all. Anyway, what do you guys think about them?

Elvenking, like Falconer, released an awesome album (or albums in the case of Falconer), and then had a lineup change. (both of them changed vocalists) I would think that the immediate effect would be that they wouldn't be as "big" a band in terms of festivals and touring. I still have yet to listen to the new material from either band, but from what I've read, people seem to think the new material from both bands is not as good.

I know Elvenking and Falconer aren't much like each other, just brought Falconer up because the bands are kind of in the same situation, being around for a little while, releasing awesome stuff, and then having to regain respect with a new vocalist.

Edit: I'd be up for having either band though, even though I haven't heard the stuff with the new vocalists.

metal71 said:
I know how we can settle all this, and put the right bands at the right shows...

Someone needs to start a Barking Pumpkin Festival.

LOL it couldn't have been better stated! lol

I'm sure even Glenn and Mattias would attend! LOL

AngraRULES said:
I would love to see mellower bands at PP. We cant forget to mention Riverside (although not really an oddball) and Antimatter (same thing).

How about Antimatter as well? The Gathering? =D (not oddballs)

Riverside would be sweet....:headbang:

But for god's sake PLEASE - ENCHANT!!! :worship:

These guys are an Inside Out band, have been doing it for YEARS, have toured overseas with Dream Theater, Threshold, Spock's Beard, you name it. They are a US band who should get more exposure and have played Nearfest - damn I will CARRY THE BANDS EQUIPMENT and pick them up from the airport if they made the list.......

Barking Pumpkin said:
Elvenking, like Falconer, released an awesome album (or albums in the case of Falconer), and then had a lineup change. (both of them changed vocalists) I would think that the immediate effect would be that they wouldn't be as "big" a band in terms of festivals and touring. I still have yet to listen to the new material from either band, but from what I've read, people seem to think the new material from both bands is not as good.

I know Elvenking and Falconer aren't much like each other, just brought Falconer up because the bands are kind of in the same situation, being around for a little while, releasing awesome stuff, and then having to regain respect with a new vocalist.

Edit: I'd be up for having either band though, even though I haven't heard the stuff with the new vocalists.

Actually, Elvenking's original singer has returned to the lineup, and they are now in the mixing process for their new album with him. It's true that their second album didn't live up the the first, but I expect a return to form with this release. You're pretty much right about Falconer though. The first was amazing, but they've been declining ever since.

Burke said:
But for god's sake PLEASE - ENCHANT!!! :worship:

These guys are an Inside Out band, have been doing it for YEARS, have toured overseas with Dream Theater, Threshold, Spock's Beard, you name it. They are a US band who should get more exposure and have played Nearfest - damn I will CARRY THE BANDS EQUIPMENT and pick them up from the airport if they made the list.......
You are correct sir... :)

The_Kinslayer said:
Actually, Elvenking's original singer has returned to the lineup, and they are now in the mixing process for their new album with him.

But he wasn't on 'Wyrd,' right?

Barking Pumpkin said:
But he wasn't on 'Wyrd,' right?

No he wasn't, but 'Wyrd' was what is widely considered to be a disappointment. This is the original guy that sang on 'Heathenreel,' which was much better than 'Wyrd' in my opinion, and that also seems to be the general consensus. They have no need of regaining respect because he's the guy they gained respect with to begin with. To bring back the Falconer comparison, it would be like Matthias Blad returning to Falconer's lineup. Anyway, its a very positive lineup change in my opinion. Hopefully that makes sense.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I'd be interested to see what they're coming up with next. Does Glenn listen to them?