Official All-Star Jam Set Discussion

All I can say is that I missed about half an hour of it ... one song of which I really I wish I handn't missed, doh! ;)

But yeah, that guy in those big balloon boobs outside was one of those double-take moments for me.

Oh, and the music! Definitely props to PM for learning all those songs, and props to the crew for doing an awesome cover of an awesome song. Whatever, it wasn't perfect, but were these guys paid to play it? no. For that matter, were we being trapped there for the whole night? no. If you wanted to go to sleep, you were free to do so. Yeah, back to the music... Floor doing Alone by Heart was truely spine-tingling... my eyes started to get a little blurry at points,... and her duet with Ralf was beautiful! Talk about something unexpected! AC/DC was fun, fun, fun! Desperado was a great choice, and for people who listen to nothing but metal, how can you think you're into prog? The point of prog is to be creative and draw on diverse influences. The most interesting part of something like this is that you get to see what songs your favorite singers like.

This was like a live karaoke performance. It's not about precision, it's about fun!!! Let me put it this way, I was so drained by After Forever's set, that I sat down for most of the jam... except that there were plenty of moments where I couldn't help but stand up for at least a chorus. :D

A good idea, although, yes, I would have liked a longer After Forever set, even if it meant only one song per singer. It would be a nice thing to do for future years, too, but maybe not on such a grand scale. One song per singer, maybe a couple headliners doing duets thrown on top, a song by the crew, and don't shorten the headliner sets, please! Let it drag on into the night and give it an afterparty feeling!

I am glad that my husband and I left early on the second night. We only wanted to see Sonata, and we did, and on the second night we were bored and decided to go order a pizza lol.
Anyway, I was wondering what the allstar thing was about. If I had seen the naked whore I would've been super pissed off. I don't tolerate trash. Periode! And i feel that metal and sleaze should not be mixed. If anyone has a problem with my personal opinion, I simply don't care and will not respond to any bashings that go on after I post this.

I admire Glenn for his eithics and apology and saying that it won't happen again. There were kids there, and I'd like for it to stay a kid friendly event. Kids need metal too!:headbang:

Overall the All Star Jam was worth it. The only bad part were the AC/DC songs, I am SOOOOO tired of them. The King Diamond cover was GREAT, what a voice. Hats off to the Pagans Mind guys for playing two nights in a row!!!!!

Going to the venue saturday night i had all sorts of expectations and quizzical wonders about the all star jam and what it would be like.

Walking back to the hotel at 3am i reached the conclusion rather quickly that it was fricking awesome.

A lot of respect and cheers to the guys from Pagan's Mind for learning most of the songs. I loved each song that was played. Some were metal, some were not but i loved them all the same.

I loved the King Diamond cover of Welcome Home. Nils: you are gifted my friend and did King D beyond justice on that song. The band as well!

Ralf doing Metal Gods......well i guess a lot of people might have expected a JP song but he had such a catalog to choose. I felt Metal Gods hit the theme perfectly.

[non metal Danowar moment]
The Floor/Ralf duet was beautiful. I had a fuzzy feeling in my heart.
[\non metal Danowar moment]

Personally, if Glen decides to do that again i'm all for it. I'll stand for an hour. 2 hours. I don't care. It's metal.

[much discussed topic]
Myself, i had no problem with the artwork girl. I do understand there were persons under 18 in the audience. Let me remind you i can find far more offensive things on the evening news than what i saw at shows this weekend. I am not a parent (at least not proven in a court of law) so i will not comment further.

\m/

Saw the whole ASJ from beginning to end and loved every second of it. Yeah, there was a 'painted lady' on stage having some fun with Damian (well, maybe that would be better stated vice versa, LOL!) but so what? It was 1:30am at a metal show. I've seen worse things than that on a stage, believe me! One of the most intelligent posts I read about THAT whole thing was from the now 12-year-old mind of JediKing! Way to go Tommy! Kudos to Mom and Dad King for raising such an intelligent and rational son. The King family rules!

As for the late hour, again, get over it. If it is too late, just leave. We had to leave our hotel at 5:00am Sunday to catch an early flight out, and I wished they would have just played on for another hour or so. We will likely never see something like that again and I wished it wouldn't end! I am sure it was a hell of a thing to get organized and Glenn deserves a lot of credit for being able to pull it off!

There were a couple of songs I didn't recognize and a couple more from bands that don't spend a lot of time in my CD player but that didn't didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the entire event one bit. Just because I'm not a huge Kiss fan or a huge Accept fan (much to the chagrin of Alex Skolnick, I might add!) certainly doesn't mean I can't enjoy Zak covering Strutter or Lance King and the gang covering Balls to the Wall! I was hoping to be entertained and I got WAY more than I bargained for! (Hell, a set that starts off with TWO performances of The Final Countdown has just GOT to be good!!)

The Pagan's Mind guys RULED as well! I'm sure they already knew SOME of the material (what metal guitarist hasn't ever played Back In Black at least a few times??) but it was a Herculean feat to learn the bulk of the lot, play as well as they did, and have the stamina to go on all night long - nothing short of stunning!! A first class group of musicians to be sure! THANKS GUYS!

Ah what else....oh yes, that Christer fellow from Freak Kitchen was drunk. Freaking wasted is more like it. I still loved it!!! Again, it was all about the fun and the music - and he still pulled it off! And geez, who hasn't seen a metal musician drunk on stage before??? It's really OK, especially when wearing viking horns, LOL!

One more big round of thanks goes to the behind-the-scenes guy Chris - don't know you personally, dude, but I can only imagine how difficult it was to keep everyone in line (more or less, LOL!) and to get them on and off the stage when appropriate. I think a good description would probably be 'herding cats'! But it all worked!

Yep, it was late, I was tired, and we did have a really early flight. Big freaking deal, all of it! The All Star Jam totally KILLED That night and It is something I will never ever forget, no matter how many hundreds more shows I see. Way to go Glenn - this was a huge treat!!!

Cheerios, all!

That was pretty cool considering a few minor details. A nice selection of tunes. The Eagles was neat. By that point I personally wanted to hear something besides keyboard metal. However oddly I heard a keyboard riff from a Van Halen tune during the set up and thought one of those would pop up. I would have thought Freak Kitchen would have had something to do with The Eagles over the weekend. And the Crimson Glory made it for me, a big fan of what they were. Zakk's 'Children of the Sea' kicked ass. That guy can sing anything and make it his own. Much like Jorn can sing anything and make it Coverdale. And the Faith No More was a surprise, in many ways omore odd than the Eagles. A lot of heads were being scratched around me when that FNM tune was going on. Quite enjoyed the King Diamond too. And the vocal work on 'Alone' was amazing.
As for the Pagan's Mind guys and what they pulled off, thumbs up.

why would you bring your kids anyways...I hate when people bring thier kids to movies and get mad when there is swearing or nudity in the film. it is called a babysitter. plus...why are we so scared to see the human body???

Well, considering that my son is 12 years old and an aspiring musician who happens to have (on his own, no less) flipped off the rest of his MTV addicted friends and taken a liking to some good music, why wouldn't I bring him to see some of his favorite bands at an "all ages show"? It was a pristine bonding moment between the 2 of us that we seldom get due to my military career. You are making this into much more than it was. Nobody is "up at arms". Noone has decided to turn their backs on the festival due to what happenned. There are no law suits being threatened. Those of us who did bring our kids with us simply expressed our opinion that it was tasteless and unexpected. Not the nudity (he sees that on tv for Christ's sake) but the grinding and overt sexuality of the whole thing was inappropriate for an all ages event. You disagree, great. Let's move on...

I know VH's "Eruption" was originally scheduled, but was dropped from the ASJ setlist.

yea that would have been neat

i wish some VH songs would have made their way on there, but man the setlist was already bad ass as it was!

as for the ACDC songs, theres a huge difference between some random band covering ACDC and freak kitchen doing it. it was FREE! dont complain!

the only thing i think people should be critical about is the fact that damian brought the chick on stage, i personally didnt mind, but yea it was uncool to do it without permission, i know alot of people were offended. but seriously to the people that brought their kids, i dont think bringing your kids to a place where there are lots of people getting drunk is such a good parenting practice either, i know the stripper thing is on a whole different level than that, but i mean you cant complain TOO much about the stripper when talking about your kids. there are always lots of chicks underdressed at shows too, so...ya know, just something else to be pointed out. if you werent complaining about your kid though, then yea this doesnt apply to you.

Where are all the boob-haters' complaints about pagan's mind's new album cover? The boobs on that girl are actually visible, not painted over!

Ummm…I don’t expect you’ll find ANY “boob-haters” on this board. But for the record, I decided NOT to purchase a Pagan’s Mind women’s t-shirt with the full goddess logo. While I'd wear it to a metal show, I only attend a few concerts a year...and it’s not exactly something I would choose to wear to the local grocery store…

But back to the All-Star Jam…LOVED it! Highlights included:

Anytime Floor was on the stage. (After watching the AF set, I’m a new fangirl!)

Nils (with some help from Chris) performing “Take Hold of the Flame” – and hitting those high notes that seem to be out of reach for Geoff Tate now.

Zak NAILING my all-time favorite Sabbath track (“Children of the Sea”).

Lance King (accompanied by the crew) doing “Balls to the Wall.” I didn’t think he would do Queensryche again, since Krucible already covered QR in their showcase set…but I did expect something in a similar style. WRONG! :lol:

I loved the whole ASJ. I loved every song. Some I didn't know, but that was okay. Some I don't like (I HATE the Eagles), but that was okay too. They were still great, fun, different performances, and I loved watching/hearing/singing along with every one of them. My legs ached for most of the weekend from all the standing on the main floor (I don't get how people can sit for some of these performances), but during the ASJ, my legs didn't bother me at all. In fact, a few of us were discussing that our cheeks hurt from smiling so much. As long as it was, I was disappointed when it was over. I would have loved to have seen more.

It was cool to see the performers having as much fun as we were. This is especially true of the PM guys. They were smiling the whole time too. They did a great job and where before I liked PM, I'm now bordering on fanboy.

In my opinion, this was overall the best PP I've been to. It's funny, but the ASJ is kind of like a bonus track on a CD though. I don't really consider it a part of the 'fest, but as a bonus. Kinda like when a band throws in a song after several minutes of silence on the last song on their CD. It was a great ending to a fantastic weekend.

Anytime Floor was on the stage. (After watching the AF set, I’m a new fangirl!)

Floor really floored me. :OMG: She has a wide vocal range, and is a very nice person as well. (She really took all the technical issues in stride and really liked the audience).

I bought the latest AF album because I really like the sound of the whole ensamble. I'm not a harsh vocal fan, but Floor's voice makes up for it and then some.

While Epica played last year, Simone's voice is just not as good as Floor's voice is. I'd like to see the two of them perform together on stage one day because both are great peformers, but if I had to choose one - Floor gets my vote hands down.

got an opinion and want to discuss further? don't be afraid i don't hit too hard.
TRIBUNALRECORDS@AOL.COM
email me.

matt[/QUOTE]

I kmow you ,ay find this as a surprise after all the years, but I agree entirely with you Mr. Tribunal. And it's about time someone calls these guys out.
Those guys in Pagan's Mind ruled on those tunes. They tackled some extremely good guitarist and distinct ones at that. I was not a Pagan's Mind fan, but I raise my glass to them.

Where are all the boob-haters' complaints about pagan's mind's new album cover? The boobs on that girl are actually visible, not painted over!

Oh yes, I noticed, and I hated it. It's so fucking disrespectful to women. I hate when bands do that. I will not listen to their music much less buy an album because of it. I was not impressed. And if i remember correctly, it wasn't just boobs showing on the album, it was practically full-frontal nudity... band of cocks...:mad:

perhaps some people's issue with the stripper/dancer is because they are not use to seeing a woman like that without a glossy finish. And as for kids at a concert, forget a babysitter, don't even breed to begin with. Seriously, kids do not belong there. Although they seemed well behaved but that is not that point.