Old dogs learning new tricks . . . or at least getting better at their old tricks.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
It seems like a lot of "older" bands have really decided to get serious and make some of the best music of their careers this year.

Cannibal Corpse made what I consider their best album since The Bleeding.

Slayer is getting all kinds of praise, although I'm still not fully on board.

Deicide just got a 9/10 in Terrorizer, and it is said that 'The Stench of Redemtion' is their best album since their first three.

But more than all the others, Celtic Frost TOTALLY crushed everybody with 'Monothiest'. Album of the Year so far. I'm totally blown away by this album. It is still Celtic Frost, but it is so modern and original that I can hardly control my bowels just thinking about it.

Anyway . . . if Neurosis unleashes something on par with everything else coming out from the old guys this year, I could have a terrible time putting together a top 10/25 list this year.

Next think you know Morbid Angel will kick us in the balls with their best work since 'Domination'.

Nate The Great said:
It seems like a lot of "older" bands have really decided to get serious and make some of the best music of their careers this year.

Cannibal Corpse made what I consider their best album since The Bleeding.

Slayer is getting all kinds of praise, although I'm still not fully on board.

Deicide just got a 9/10 in Terrorizer, and it is said that 'The Stench of Redemtion' is their best album since their first three.

But more than all the others, Celtic Frost TOTALLY crushed everybody with 'Monothiest'. Album of the Year so far. I'm totally blown away by this album. It is still Celtic Frost, but it is so modern and original that I can hardly control my bowels just thinking about it.

Anyway . . . if Neurosis unleashes something on par with everything else coming out from the old guys this year, I could have a terrible time putting together a top 10/25 list this year.

Next think you know Morbid Angel will kick us in the balls with their best work since 'Domination'.

Pagan Altar and Warning as well. Best Work Since Formulas not Domination.

Helheim released their best album in about a decade.

Necrophobic's new one might be the best thing they've released since 93's Nocturnal Silence.

agreed on most things stated Nate ... even the CF has grown on me, although still a bit "Monotonous" :loco: ... not enough variety on it.

was never a fan of Deicide ... I put them in the same bullshit artist, pay no mind file cabinet as Nile ...

Lets not forget new Maiden ... this one REALLY surprised me ... really fresh sounding.

And the mighty fucking EXODUS ... last 2 are on par with BBB :kickass:

I'm sorta done with Cannibal Corpse. Even if I thought The Wretched Spawn was damn fine, my interest in them is pretty much dust.

New Slayer.... ehhhhhhhh. I had my hopes up, and I enjoyed it a bit, but man. It's just drab. I'm not giving up yet, but it's definitely getting shelved for the time being.

Never liked Deicide, they look a lot cooler than they actually are.

I had no interest in Celtic Frost (even their classic material I can take or leave), but you totally sold me on Monotheist. Gonna purchase that right now.

Morbid Angel have some work to make up for, with Vincent on board I have high hopes. :kickass:

Every Neurosis album I have (Through Silver in Blood and up) is pretty god damn incredible, so I'm hoping for that to continue.

Should I just buy it? I love everything of theirs I have, although I mostly listen to their newer shit.

EotS has some of their best songs. It's most similar to Through Silver in Blood, though different in that every-Neurosis-album-sounds-different. I personally think it's great.

Honestly, I think you'll find more to like in Souls at Zero.

Ignore Pain of Mind. The Word as Law is weird ambient -core or something. Personally, it annoyed me.

Souls at Zero and everything after is golden. Also, if you like newer Neurosis, the Sovereign EP is necessary if you dont already have it.

I heard one track off Monotheist and didn'T think it was good, maybe I should listen to more?

Another band that could be considered in this category is Blind Guardian. I have a feeling their new album will bring back a part of their old sound.

Celtic Frost put on the boringest live show ever, though... I really liked the new album; it's totally crushing! And it's sloooow, so unfortunately, the ol' guys figured they would play their old classics at half the speed as well... :erk:

Procreation (of the Wicked) has never bored me before, but it sure as hell did this time...