Our first Review for DARK DECEIVER!!!

Great review
I finally got the CD I am simply stunned this is a brutal and yet at times deeply moving piece of work. I still trying to take it all in and this may take a few good weeks to really sink in.
I hope you get the opportunty to promote this work ao it goes to a wider audience.
The band has a whole cohesive whole intense at times with lyrics that have a good sense of depth. Also the way the brutality is mixed with beautifual and atmospheric moments giving them a deeper emotional feeling.
I am very very impressed

That's awesome my brutha and so STOKED you dig it Spatch. I always dig talking shop with you bro because you're into so much music man. YOU BRO and thanks for letting us know your thoughts on DD.

METAL MY BRO!!

Jasun

I can't believe I just found out about Zero Hour but I'm loving everything I've heard so far. I'm going to get to Dark Deceiver when I'm done with their previous work.

Righto, picked up the album today, so as I listen to it for only the second time, I shall share my initial thoughts...

First up, I must admit, seeing the cover in the store, were I not already a fan, it may have been confusing and caused me perhaps to think of the band more in the death-metal vein, and as a prog-fan, may have missed out on an absolute masterpiece. The artwork is great, but I don't think it quite suits the mood of the music... Just seems a bit too br00tal imo, but hey maybe that's just me... The band pics and the booklet layout is cool though... ;) Anyway, onto the music...

Brilliant production, no complaints there, great mix etc. The chops have certainly increased on this album, Troy's bass playing is particularly spectacular, but as a guitarist, it is Jasun's extra solo passages which I appreciate the most! Lots of killer arpeggios right throughout the album to air-guitar to! :D Awesome work mate, hopefully this album will help get you some more recognition out there cos you're a killer player man! :headbang: Great drumming and vocals by Mikey and Chris as well of course.

My favourite tracks initially would have to be 'The Power To Believe' and 'Inner Spirit'. TPTB is a powerful opening, with killer riffs and Troy shredding away on the bass in the background, very cool, and Jasun's lead playing in the middle section just slays! Lots of arpeggiaic mayhem, from both guitar and bass (there's a new word for ya :lol: ). Inner Spirit is epic, which I love, the whole tune is magnificent, creates the feel of the journey really draws the listener in, and reckon you guys should do more of. Temple Within is great as well, as is every track really. Overall a heavier feel, but I don't think too ridiculous, still an excellent Zero Hour balance. The instrumentals are cool, but just that, they didn't do much for me (though Troy's bass solo is obviously incredible) I think I preferred the ones on Specs, which sounded a bit more like actual songs.

Perhaps one of my only other 'complaints' (which is very minor, and I'm only giving them for constructive purposes) is that a couple of the songs feel like they finish just a little bit too soon... I think mainly 'Dark Deceiver' and 'Lies' both seem to build and feel like they're about to shoot off into a sick instrumental section or something, but then they just end... Its probably just the prog-geek in my coming out, but they just seem a little short to me... But killer tracks regardless. The first half is my favourite, but who knows, that might change... Love it.

So there ya go, another killer album, fantastic work fellas, and thanks for all the hard work you've put in, us fans really appreciate it! If you can ever make it over to Australia, WHEREVER in Australia that is, I'll do my utmost to make it along to a show, and I'm sure this newest album will grow on me the more I listen to it and become a firm favourite. \m/ METAL! \m/

Dan

Right on Dan and glad you dig the disc bro. I would have to say "The Power to Believe" and "Inner Spirit" might be my personal faves on the disc.

Thanks everyone who's picked up a copy and we really appreciate the support.

YOU ALL RULE and have a great weekend.

Jasun

P.S. Would love to come to Australia.

A couple more reviews to share.http://www.vampire-magazine.com/article.php?aid=45450

ZERO HOUR (USA)
DARK DECEIVER Sensory Records
Written by Matthieu De Ronde on Tuesday 03 June, 2008. Last updated on Tuesday 03 June, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last five or six years, Zero Hour has been regarded as one of the top progressive metal bands in the world. Especially with the release of their last two albums“A Fragile Mind“ and “Specs from Pictures Burnt Beyond”, they have stepped out of obscurity and claimed a well deserved spot in the highest rank of the genre. As it’s always a big surprise to see what the Tipton brothers come up with next, I was excited to hear their fifth album “Dark Deceiver”.

Where Zero Hour implemented a more accessible style on “Specs from Pictures Burnt Beyond”, they return to a more technical and experimental style, like on “The Towers of Avarice” but with a lot more aggression and a higher level of intensity. You can say that they mix the ramming drums and rapid-fire guitar shots that you find in extreme metal acts like Meshuggah and mix this with complex melodies, unexpected break(downs) and unique tempo changes. The album also has a very dense and dark sound, that really presses on the listener and it’s hard to let go which also shows the skill of producer Dino Alden. This atmosphere is hard to describe but somehow it feels like walking through an polluted petro-chemical site while the year’s heaviest rain cloud is starting to gather above your head. It’s impressive that a band like Zero Hour has already shown so much of itself, but still manages to come up with an almost entirely unique sound after five albums. On vocals we can still find Chris Salinas and he really fits in one hundred percent with the band now. From his superb clean vocal work, to the strange droning chanting that he uses in the epic and dynamic “Inner Spirit”, it is obvious that this is the only perfect vocalist for the ever changing dynamic music of Zero Hour.

Zero Hour’s “Dark Deceiver” is perhaps the best Zero Hour album to date. It is however a huge “grow record" so you’ll only appreciate it after a spin or five. It can also almost be a blind purchase for anyone that enjoys intense and heavy progressive metal.

http://www.rockreport.be/review.asp?id=2081

ZERO HOUR
Dark Deceiver
© 2008 Sensory Records (SR3042)
nuclear physics metal
studio album
9 tracks - TT 44:43
release date: April 29, 2008
http://www.zerohourweb.com
http://www.lasersedgegroup.com

Zero Hour has released a new album and I can tell you all right up front that it was a hard nut to crack.
The Tipton brothers have returned, after a couple of more accessible records (with obvious highlight last year’s ‘Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond’), to their more difficult to comprehend roots. Their latest effort can be seen as the rightful follow-up to ‘The Towers Of Avarice’. Those in the knowing will either have a sudden case of vertigo or cry tears of joy. This record, ladies & gentlemen, will separate the boys from the men, sonically speaking.
Compared to this whirlwind of riffs, typhoon-solos, breaks & tempo-changes your average Dream Theater record will sound like the latest Madonna album.
It took yours truly a couple of weeks to get into this brutal avalanche on the senses. Zero Hour’s latest effort is dark, moody, at times very aggressive & a couple of moments later deceivingly soothing. The masterpiece ‘Inner Spirit’, a mere 12 minutes long, is a good example of that. And to top everything off we are offered a strong melodic set of tonsils going by the name of Chris Salinas, straight from the Geoff Tate school of whaling. What more could you want? (KVK)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Members' opinions post your opinion

andrejmy (on 5/06/08)

Yes finally something really progressive !!
Zero Hour fantastic again.

cradle1scot (on 4/06/08)

I really cant see what all the fuss is here. Cant believe you also think this makes the averageDT sound like Madonna because DT dont make average albums...apart from 6DOIT !

VaDeR (on 4/06/08)

Again a great album that takes multiple spins to fully grasp the complexity.
Highly recommended !!!

Metalrob4662 (on 3/06/08)

Very aggressive and dark, I like this cd a lot, but something is missing for me.
But if you enjoy Progressive Metal as much as me then you should pick it up you wont be dissappionted.

snoe (on 3/06/08)

I cried tears of joy indeed. One of the true progressive metal bands out there. Way overlooked.

WOLF 359 (on 2/06/08)

The Towers Of Avarice is one of my all time favourite albums, with it's dark and aggressive music. This new album from the Tiptons' is it's natural successor and just as complex and tricky to get into. A winner from start to finish.

Right on Dan and glad you dig the disc bro. I would have to say "The Power to Believe" and "Inner Spirit" might be my personal faves on the disc.

Thanks everyone who's picked up a copy and we really appreciate the support.

YOU ALL RULE and have a great weekend.

Jasun

P.S. Would love to come to Australia.

No worries, I'm not surprised those are your favourites either, you absolutely rip on those 2 tracks especially! :headbang:

Hey, if there's even a rumour of you possibly being able to come, let me know who the promoter might be and I'll do my best to help push it along, and I'm sure Mark would as well... Anyway, rock on!

I think you have found a new career Dan, Prog album reviewer!! Great job::headbang:

QUOTE=progmetaldan;7317709]Righto, picked up the album today, so as I listen to it for only the second time, I shall share my initial thoughts...

First up, I must admit, seeing the cover in the store, were I not already a fan, it may have been confusing and caused me perhaps to think of the band more in the death-metal vein, and as a prog-fan, may have missed out on an absolute masterpiece. The artwork is great, but I don't think it quite suits the mood of the music... Just seems a bit too br00tal imo, but hey maybe that's just me... The band pics and the booklet layout is cool though... ;) Anyway, onto the music...

Brilliant production, no complaints there, great mix etc. The chops have certainly increased on this album, Troy's bass playing is particularly spectacular, but as a guitarist, it is Jasun's extra solo passages which I appreciate the most! Lots of killer arpeggios right throughout the album to air-guitar to! :D Awesome work mate, hopefully this album will help get you some more recognition out there cos you're a killer player man! :headbang: Great drumming and vocals by Mikey and Chris as well of course.

My favourite tracks initially would have to be 'The Power To Believe' and 'Inner Spirit'. TPTB is a powerful opening, with killer riffs and Troy shredding away on the bass in the background, very cool, and Jasun's lead playing in the middle section just slays! Lots of arpeggiaic mayhem, from both guitar and bass (there's a new word for ya :lol: ). Inner Spirit is epic, which I love, the whole tune is magnificent, creates the feel of the journey really draws the listener in, and reckon you guys should do more of. Temple Within is great as well, as is every track really. Overall a heavier feel, but I don't think too ridiculous, still an excellent Zero Hour balance. The instrumentals are cool, but just that, they didn't do much for me (though Troy's bass solo is obviously incredible) I think I preferred the ones on Specs, which sounded a bit more like actual songs.

Perhaps one of my only other 'complaints' (which is very minor, and I'm only giving them for constructive purposes) is that a couple of the songs feel like they finish just a little bit too soon... I think mainly 'Dark Deceiver' and 'Lies' both seem to build and feel like they're about to shoot off into a sick instrumental section or something, but then they just end... Its probably just the prog-geek in my coming out, but they just seem a little short to me... But killer tracks regardless. The first half is my favourite, but who knows, that might change... Love it.

So there ya go, another killer album, fantastic work fellas, and thanks for all the hard work you've put in, us fans really appreciate it! If you can ever make it over to Australia, WHEREVER in Australia that is, I'll do my utmost to make it along to a show, and I'm sure this newest album will grow on me the more I listen to it and become a firm favourite. \m/ METAL! \m/

Dan[/QUOTE]

Three more reviews.

http://www.dangerdog.com/reviews_2008/zero-hour-dark-deceiver.html

Zero Hour: Dark Deceiver► HOME
► CURRENT REVIEWS
► ARCHIVES
► LINKS
► SUBMISSIONS
► ABOUT
► FEEDBACK
Zero Hour: Dark Deceiver
Progressive Heavy Metal
Rating: 4.5/5.0
www.zerohourweb.com
Sensory Records
www.myspace.com/zerohourband
You be a little suspicious of Zero Hour when you take a look at the album art for their latest disc, 'Dark Deceiver.' Yeah, it's more than a little creepy, more like horrific. You may wonder what kind of music is hidden in that little plastic disc in you hand. Is it some form of black metal, possibly death metal, or maybe some extreme form of thrash akin to, say, Slayer? You'd be wrong on all accounts. Zero Hour performs an exciting form of progressive metal, and yes, they are from the States. Formed by guitarist Jasun Tipton and bassist Troy Tipton, twin brothers from the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1990's, they count Fates Warning, Sieges Even, Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater as their peers and influences. 2006's interesting 'Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond' put them on the map, more probably in Europe than here. 'Dark Deceiver' will sure solidify their status as a better and innovative progressive metal band.

To truly appreciate 'Dark Deceiver,' one must be prepared for an incredible sonic assault from the beginning. 'Power To Believe' roars at you with incredible speed with Jasun scaling the fret board like a madman. Vocalist Chris Salinas shows the extreme range of his talents as bellows and screams with perfect clarity. The title track is equally intense having a more ferocious start. But then you begin hear some changes as subtle interludes are introduced into the music. Arriving at 'Inner Spirit,' the longest and most brilliant piece, you discover the mystery of Zero Hour's fine prog metal. The first half is a tour de force of heavy progressive metal that introduces an aptly timed and beautiful interlude of calming music and smooth vocals from Salinas. Later, there is 'Tendonitis' a short yet sophisticated piece of bass guitar work. What follows is still more pleasing prog metal. Specifically, 'The Passion Of Words' ranks as another of the best on this work.

Clearly, Zero Hour is, and has been, on to something good for some time now. 'Dark Deceiver' is powerful and intense progressive metal with vision and vitality. Their recognition has been quiet and slow in coming for sometime now. This work will easily bring the world to Zero Hour's doorstep. Very recommended!

http://www.amboss-mag.de/reviews/Archiv2/08/r08-06/zero-hour.html
zurück / Startseite

ZERO HOUR "Dark Deceiver" (Prog Metal)

(Sensory / Laser's Edge)

Vom letzten Album war ich gar nicht so begeistert, was vor allem daran lag, dass ich den Strukturen nicht folgen konnte und mir die Songs zu chaotisch rüberkamen. Dieses Manko konnte man jetzt beseitigen und auf "Dark Deceiver" fetzen einem die wahnsinnigsten Bassläufe um die Ohren, denen man seit CYNIC lauschen durfte. Die Songs sind erste Wahl, bieten die verschiedensten Facetten von abgedrehtem Frickelpart zur powermetallischen Ballade (in einem Lied) und trotzdem haben es die Herrschaften geschafft, die Songs sehr eingängig zu gestalten, ohne die Komplexität zu vernachlässigen. Es gibt auch genug verspielte Angeberparts, aber im Großen und Ganzen ist "Dark Deceiver" ein grandioses Album, was stilistisch irgendwie zwischen CYNIC und DREAM THEATER anzusiedeln ist! Sänger Chris Salinas ist einfach nicht von dieser Welt und bereichert den Sound der Band um so viele Stimmungen, dass ich mich an dem Werk einfach nicht satthören kann! Unbedingt anchecken sollte man "Power to Believe", das megalange "Inner Spirit" oder das komplett verrückte Instrumental "Tendonitis". Gratulation, ZERO HOUR! Webseite: www.zerohourweb.com. (chris)

Review
http://www.metalinside.de/frame.php?url=http://www.metalinside.de/review.php?id=9694

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver (Tipp!)

Review per Mail versenden
Progessive Metal
Label
Vertrieb
Zeit
Tracks Laser's Edge Records
Alive
44:43 min

Ähnliche Reviews anzeigen

Die musikalisch-technoiden Freaks um die Brüder Jasun (Gitarre) und Troy (Bass) Tipton lassen mit „Dark Deceiver“ Album Nummer 5 auf die wohlgesinnte Frickelgemeinde los. Und diese dürfte das neue Werk von ZERO HOUR schon sehnlichst erwarten, denn es gibt nicht viele Bands, welche die Wechsel zwischen recht extremen, technisch hochversierten Gefrickel und melodischen Passagen so hinbringen wie ZERO HOUR – und das außerhalb der von KING CRIMSON & Co. inspirierten ruhigeren Kollegen sondern meist mit ordentlich Wumms und Power. Mit dem headbangenden und thrashigen „Power To Believe“ und dem kompakten, etwas verspielteren Titeltrack “Dark Deceiver” eröffnen ZERO HOUR gewohnt hochklassig. Das Highlight der Scheibe kommt dann mit dem über 12-minütige „Inner Spirit“. Hier zeigen ZERO HOUR alle Facetten ihrer Kunst, vom technischen WATCHTOWER beeinflussten Komplex-Metal bis zu angenehm ruhigen, immer düster daherkommenden Passagen. Das folgende „Resurrection“ erinnert atmosphärisch gar an KATATONIA - „The Temple Within“ mit seinem Ohrwurmpart und das atmosphärisch dunkle „The Passion Of Words“ passen nahtlos zu dem von „Inner Spirit“ vorgegebene Sound für ZERO HOUR 2008. Dazu noch Sänger Chris Salinas, welcher mit seinem einerseits herzerwärmenden Gesangspassagen und andererseits hohen, fordernden Stimmeinlagen für zusätzlich Abwechslung und melodische Momenten im Riff- und Breakgewitter sorgt. Allen die von den göttlichen PSYCHOTIC WALTZ bis NEVERMORE sich einen breiten Horizont erarbeitet haben, dürften auch mit der neuen ZERO HOUR erfahrungsreiche Stunden verbringen. Und obwohl ZERO HOUR gerne etwas mehr Gefühl in ihre Songs mit einbringen dürften und auch die eigene Referenz „A Fragile Mind“ trotz technischer noch ausgereiftere Kompositionen nicht toppen können- Höchstnoten hat auch „Dark Deceiver“ fraglos verdient. (hardy)

No worries, I'm not surprised those are your favourites either, you absolutely rip on those 2 tracks especially! :headbang:

Hey, if there's even a rumour of you possibly being able to come, let me know who the promoter might be and I'll do my best to help push it along, and I'm sure Mark would as well... Anyway, rock on!

I definately would and i'm sure a few other people i know would!!! :headbang:

I think you have found a new career Dan, Prog album reviewer!! Great job::headbang:

haha thanks man, I appreciate it... That was a relatively quickly written one, if I had the time to sit down and really set it out properly it'd probably be better... But yeah I'd love to be writing reviews for prog... There's a couple of gig-reviews on my myspace I think...

I definately would and i'm sure a few other people i know would!!! :headbang:

Awesome! :headbang: wow, I think us Aussies must make up at least about 20% of the regular Zero Hour forumites, they should definately come now... :D