Zero Hour DARK DECEIVER our first review!!!

Progressive music played brutal by superior musicians, sounds more like how I would subscribe Necrophagist, not Zero Hour. Not near as brutal as divine heresy can be and not even close to being as diverse or as skilled as Dream Theater, but that is of course my opinion. Only thing about necophagist and such bands that makes people not consider them prog is the growling vocals, but just go check out Necrophagist's cd Epitaph, and check out at least the songs seven and stabwound, and tell me that they aren't progressive music played brutal by superior musicians. I am sorry if I am extremely critical, but to me there is technical that is fun to listen to and technical that can sound good but just bore you to tears and yawns.

not as skilled as Dream Theater? whoa dude! Have you seen Troy, Jasun, and Mikey's hands? Blurrrrrrr. And Chris dominates those high notes in ways that James wishes he could.

Yes I have. I have seen them live a few times. Your comparing Portnoy to Guy...hmmmmm. Petrucci is so diverse and tasteful it is insane, and Myung is a humble beast. LaBrie isn't my fav singer, but I prefer him to Chris, who's singing seems out of place to me and not very tasteful all the time, at times yes he sounds awesome, but I prefer him back in his Power of Omens days. Tendonitis is just random sweeps and speed and does not lean at all in the melodic and tasteful department. I just keep on listening to this album over and over again trying to take it all in over and over again, and I just do not understand what everybody is hearing. It is good, but still, I prefer the atmosphere and epicness to towers of avarice, where they were tasteful and meaningful. I just don't get it, but I guess if I would of heard this 5-6 years ago I would of been way more impressed, but with everything else I listen to, this just for some reason pales in comparison and it just doesn't amaze me, but Zero Hour has always been a band I expected to bump it up and do something that does amaze me, but they haven't grown the way I expected them to. I guess my biggest problem is Mike's drumming, it just doesn't do anything, because it is all the same stuff he has done before and it just makes the rest of the music sound the same even though it is different. Learn some different patterns, rhythms, and beats and just let it flow.

I think Systematic Chaos is great, even though of course awake and images and words are their masterpieces, but they have not failed to me since then, and I am also talking of side-projects and just the diversity of writing and playing that all of them have within DT and within their side-projects. I just want to hear the Tiptons do something different for once. Take Asgeir Mickelson from Spiral Architect, you heard what he did for them, but then what he did for vintersorg and borknagar and ihsahn, he is just well-rounded, and I am mostly just dissappointed with Mike Guy's drumming than anything like I stated previously, it is just lacking anything new. I play drums and I know you can come up with different ideas and ways of playing things from time to time, but not over the course of a few albums and still nothing new, it just dissappoints me, because peoples playing is suppose to mature and evolve, and I just think that the players in this band haven't evolved.

Here's a review from Lords Of Metel. Lords of Metal has been around for a very long time and is an essential webzine out in the Neatherlands for the METAL genres. It's in Dutch and we recived A score of 87 out 100.

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Sensory

archiveer onder Prog / Sympho metal

Evil Dr. Smith: Eindelijk! Liefhebbers van Zero Hours meest technische en ondoordringbare album 'The Towers Of Avarice' (2001) hebben nu eindelijk de opvolger waar ze al jaren naar smachten. In de tussenliggende jaren liet Zero Hour met diverse albums al menig bandje een poepie ruiken hoe hoogbegaafde progmetal gespeeld dient te worden, maar deed dit met meer vloeiend, melodieuzer en toegankelijker materiaal, met als voorlopig hoogtepunt het voorlaatste album 'Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond'.

'Dark Deceiver' opent echter met 'Power To Believe', een zeven minuten durende wervelwind van rare maatsoorten, tegendraadse ritmes en tempowisselingen in de beste Watchtower-traditie, maar die een stuk pakkender, spannender en vooral ook beter geproduceerd zijn dan Ron Jarzombeks nieuwere bandjes Spastic Ink en Blotted Science. Yngwie Malmsteen? Meshuggah? Wibi Soerjadi? Pfff, been there, done that. Zero Hour is the shit! En dan weten ze die chaos verdomme nog te verweven met gevoel en emotie ook! Die mannen hebben vast geen vingerkootjes. Fanatiekelingen met een fetisj voor freaky riffjes die nu met een bobbel in de broek en het zweet op het voorhoofd driftig het album proberen te downloaden (ga 'em gewoon kopen, gek!) zullen na dit nummer misschien toch van een koude kermis thuiskomen, want na deze exercitie in toonladdermishandeling neemt de band hier en daar wat gas terug, ten faveure van meer melodie en emotie. Vooral in die melodische stukken komen de kwaliteiten van zanger Chris Salinas nadrukkelijk bovendrijven, waarbij Geoff Tate al nagelbijtend en tandenknarsend zal moeten erkennen dat er iemand anders met zijn stem vandoor is gegaan.

Niet dat Zero Hour er zich na het openingsnummer speltechnisch makkelijk vanaf maakt, want daarvoor zitten de broertjes Tipton veel te kundig en complex aan hun snaren te plukken en drijven ze hierbij drummer Mike Guy tot het uiterste. Luister maar eens naar de brute openingriffs in het titelnummer, een van de hardste nummer uit de carriËre van Zero Hour en niet alleen daarom een hoogtepunt van het album. Of naar de krankzinnig eigenwijze riffwaterval van het korte 'Resurrection' dat helaas wel een (te) abrupt einde kent. Het epicentrum van het album is natuurlijk de twaalf minuten durende progmetalmarathon 'Inner Spirit' en daar zitten meer ideeÎn in verwerkt dan in het titelnummer van Dream Theaters 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence'. De combinatie van de hoekige, tegendraadse riffs en de melodische zang van Salinas pakt erg eigenzinnig uit in het eerste deel, terwijl in het tweede deel de band weer aansluiting zoekt bij de sferische progmetal van Fates Warning.

Het album is strak en hard geproduceerd (wederom door uitgediende Dino Alden die zich tegenwoordig alleen maar inlaat met de albums van Marty Friedman en Zero Hour), maar waar veel moderne metalbands een zelfde sound nastreven en vervallen in een klinisch, onpersoonlijke geluid, daar ligt er bij Zero Hour een organische zweem over het geluid, waardoor de muziek de nodige warmte uitstraalt en tegelijkertijd de ballen uit je broek beukt. Het album is verder gedecoreerd met twee instrumentaaltjes. Bij het korte intermezzo 'Tendonitis' dwarrelen de basnootjes als een combinatie van 'Pulling Teeth' en Joey de Mayo's interpretatie van 'Flight Of The Bumblebee' door de ruimte en het vervreemdende 'Severed Angel' is met een collage van geluidsamples en een schijnbaar willekeurige opeenstapeling van een en dezelfde moddervette beukriff een wat merkwaardige afsluiter van het album. Wederom een verdomd indrukwekkend album van de twins of technometal en al behaalt dit album net een beetje minder punten dan zijn indrukwekkende voorganger, laat dat niemand beletten om achter dit album aan te gaan.

Evil Dr. Smith diagnostiseert: 87/100 (toelichting)

http://www.zerohourweb.com

I took my first run at this disc this weekend. Very impressive.

Zero Hour, although one of my favorite bands, is never an instant thing for me. There's so much going on, it's nearly impossible for my brain to process it all during the first sitting. And with this disc, even more so. It sounds like the guys raided a Crystal Meth lab prior to the recording sessions for this CD. It's almost bizarre to think this is the same band that recorded A Fragile Mind. That said, the more melodic (obvious) moment are just amazing. And I have no doubt that my brain will eventually come to terms with the musical madness created by the alien chromosome that the Tiptun brothers share.

Zod

Exactly how I feel. This is a stellar release that I defitenely will see improve on me throughout the year

I'll check them out when I can, but it still doesn't fix what they do with zero hour and it doesn't fix Mike's drum parts and make them newer and refreshing for their music, which is what they ultimately need.