Zero Hour DARK DECEIVER our first review!!!

I was never saying it wasn't my thing. I loved Towers of Avarice because it was something different, I just hear you guys going somewhere different and better, and it just doesn't go there for me. I hear the potential for something new and cool from ya'll going on in my crazy head, but it just didn't happen this time around. I like bands sticking to what they do best, but you gotta do something different enough while still sticking to your guns. Take Opeth's new disc, I know a lot of people love Ghost Reveries, me being one of them, mainly for reverie/harlequin forest, but a lot of people didn't like that disc, but I know everybody is going to love the new disc because they took the risk to do something a little different, but still sticking to their guns. So, here is to hoping the next Zero Hour disc does it for me with the potential I hear from what ya'll could really be if ya'll reached out of ya'lls box I think you have been stuck in.

Just received mine today and haven't had time to dig into it. I can say that it is nowhere near immediate as the last disc,and if anything....its too heavy!!! We'll give it more time tomorrow and see if it enters my psyche,but as of now I'm kinda disappointed. The vocal effects bothered me because Chris can sing...Don't bury the voice in muck! Like I said...tomorrow

l really like DD...better than Spec...the vocals seem to fit better. The vocals & music seem out of sync at times on Spec to me. More cohesive on DD. The bros T are technicians to say the least & Mike brings the hammer as usual.

Right on Ascension and very happy you're digging it bro. Thanks for picking up a copy TwizstedJesus and hope the CD grabs you. Appreciate your support guys.

Here's another review.

http://www.smnnews.com/category/reviews/

If you read my review of the Blotted Science album a few weeks back, you’ll know how dear I hold bands like Fates Warning, Watchtower and Spiral Architect close to my heart. California quartet, Zero Hour has been playing the kind of hi-tech progressive metal that not only falls into this kind of categorization, but also lives up to the mighty legacies these bands have created for themselves. ZH’s new album, Dark Deceiver is the sound of a band driving forward with complete comfort and control. Guitarist Jasun Tipton leads the charge, pulling out every guitar trick out of the Shrapnel Records (circa 1989) catalog along the way. There are neo-classical twin-harmonies, shred runs and the kinds of buzzing arpeggios that would make Tony MacAlpine jealous in his glory days!

Sure, Tipton isn’t the only guitarist doing this kind of thing right now but few bands pack the songwriting muscle that ZH do. Tracks like “Lies” and “Resurrection” might be filled to the gills with acrobatic guitar lines, but there are strong songs at the foundation of them. Vocal dynamo, Chris Salinas also breaks out on this one proving why he is one of the most popular front men in the progressive community today. His high-pitched stuff here is right up there with Jon Arch (Fates Warning) and his more mid-ranged lines brought Russ Anderson from Forbidden to mind.

The choppy arrangements might prove to be too intense for mainstream listeners but their blend of challenging time signatures and seamless hooks should not be ignored by more adventurous metal fans. The twisting cyclones in “Power to Believe” alone are worth the price of admission! Mike Guy (drums) and Troy Tipton (bass) are the kind of rhythm section that a band of this level absolutely has to have to be able to pull this kind of material off. Guy’s footwork is awe-inspiring and definitely puts him in a class all to himself! So let it be known, Zero Hour has crafted a true modern day progressive metal classic with Dark Deceiver. The question is will people discover it.

Rating: 8.5/10
Label: Sensory Records

Another review and thank you Tommy for bringing this to our attention.

http://www.ytsejam.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=1384

Zero Hour – Dark Deceiver

615Wc2u4oNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

2008 Sensory/Laser’s Edge Group

A couple years ago I interviewed this band and they said that when playing live it was common for a ‘mosh pit’ to break out during their performance; damn straight it is. With music as aggressive as theirs, what are you going to do, sit in your fucking seat and rock back and fourth in a near catatonic state, I don’t think so. From one of the heaviest and most technical progressive metal bands out there comes Dark Deceiver, one of Zero Hour’s most challenging and aggressive pieces of work to date, border lining within the extreme metal fringes, yet keeping the melodic consciousness in full force at all times.

With very album the music becomes more and more perplexed, being skillfully executed with experimental time signatures; being relevant to the music of Spiral Architect and Twisted into Form, but with a more tuneful stance. Powerful through and through, cuts such as “Resurrection,” the dark grinding “Lies” (nice falsetto vocal use, I must say), the bass solo of “Tendonitis,” and the mood laden title track are tried and true to the no holds barred/no bullshit approach when it comes to plummeting the aggravated aggression that Zero Hour entails.

While the record beholds what most might hear as multi-faceted mathematical rhythms, diminished arpeggios, and sophistication brought to it’s most extreme form, Dark Deceiver is far from being one of those ‘pretentious records,’ where the band forgoes atmospheric soundscapes and keyboards, where the record itself immediately starts up with its sinister bludgeoning riffage. In a string of releases, Dark Deceiver proves to be one of Zero Hour’s finest hour.
Added: April 26th 2008
Reviewer: Tommy Hash
Score:
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

Related Link: Zero Hour website
Hits: 20
Language:

I took my first run at this disc this weekend. Very impressive.

Zero Hour, although one of my favorite bands, is never an instant thing for me. There's so much going on, it's nearly impossible for my brain to process it all during the first sitting. And with this disc, even more so. It sounds like the guys raided a Crystal Meth lab prior to the recording sessions for this CD. It's almost bizarre to think this is the same band that recorded A Fragile Mind. That said, the more melodic (obvious) moment are just amazing. And I have no doubt that my brain will eventually come to terms with the musical madness created by the alien chromosome that the Tiptun brothers share.

Zod

ZOD RULES!!!

Man you've been a great support to the band since the start. Just wanted to send you and your lady the METAL sign and hope you're doing great man.

METAL MY BRO!!

Jasun

P.S. I see Riverside is coming to the NJ Proghouse.....AWESOME!!

I would love to make that show and we'll have to see on that one. It all depends on how long we'll be in Europe. If we do I will let you know and maybe we can meet up for dinner.

METAL!

Jasun

I'll take Spiral Architect and Fates Warning(with Zonder) anyday. I hope Spiral Architect puts out a new disc soon, as their first cd was it for me to make it to atlanta for progpower 2(along with symphony x, evergrey, and kamelot, and such), but I had to see Spiral Architect. This new Zero Hour disc still isn't doing anything for me, it just doesn't live up to my standards for technical metal, sorry if I am extremely picky when it comes to the technical metal stuff. Death's symbolic and sound of perserverence, spiral architect, necrophagist, cynic, spastic ink, meshuggah, decapitated, and so on(well at least I consider these bands tech metal); this disc just doesn't compare and it doesn't compare still to Towers of Avarice, which is, I think, their best cd and seems that it always will be.

zerohour-darkdeceiver.jpg
<H4>Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver (Sensory)</H4>A great idea on paper: the combination of over-the-top tech metal ala Cynic, Atheist, et al, with clean, progressive vocals, Zero Hour are now coming dangerously close to perfecting their own indelible brand of hyper-prog metal.

2006’s Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond was a largely enjoyable affair, relishing in more than a few “kitchen sink” forays into the depths of over-the-top prog metal. Its follow-up, Dark Deceiver follow suit, but in more rationale and gradual fashion.

http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/link/1/templateid/13901/tempidx/4/menuid/2
The guitar/bass shred tandem of Brothers Tipton (Jason and Troy) is on full display on opener “Power to Believe,” with the duo reeling off a flurry of sweeps and manic bass fills. “Inner Spirit” is full-on Zero Hour, as labyrinth of adventurous guitar maneuvering segues into a call-and-response bit from singer Chris Salinas, who again proves to be the right man for the spot.

The graceful “Resurrection” ranks as one of Zero Hour’s more melodic moments, while the bass solo “Tendonitis” (more please) only serves to solidify Troy Tipton’s place as a prog metal virtuoso. The stop-start frenzy of “Lies” and potent “The Passion of Words” keeps Dark Deceiver off-balance and unpredictable, making the album more enticing as things move along.

Zero Hour’s balls-out approach may turn some people off initially, but further listens reveal a band putting actual songs into their structure, with hooks coming from all areas, especially those jaw-dropping bass runs. Dark Deceiver is another notch in the belt for Zero Hour, who again, are becoming ever so close to putting this into absolute perfection.

www.myspace.com/zerohourband

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/zerohourdarkdec.htm

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver

About.com Rating
four.gif

By Chad Bowar, About.com
zerohour-dark.jpg
Sensory Records

Zero Hour have been around for a while and have released several CDs. They are well known to those who follow the progressive metal genre, but not as familiar to the rest of the metal world.

Dark Deceiver is progressive metal with an edge. It's highly technical with outstanding musicianship from guitarist Jasun Tipton and his brother, bassist Troy Tipton. Troy really gets to showcase his chops on the instrumental "Tendonitis." The songs range from focused 3 minute tracks to complex 12 minute epics.
Chris Salinas is Zero Hour's vocalist, and he also does a good job. From effects laden spoken word to melodic singing to Geoff Tate-esque belting, he is very versatile. In addition to being edgier and more aggressive than the average prog metal band, Zero Hour also manages to add in enough hooks and melody so it's not all technical wankery. Dark Deceiver combines the sensibility of groups like Meshuggah and Dream Theater into Zero Hour's unique sounding concoction. (released April 29, 2008 on Sensory Records)

KENNETH R IS THE MAN!! Here's another review.

http://therighttorock.com/?p=278

zero.jpg
I’ve always appreciated a band that takes their musicianship seriously, and Zero Hour is one of those bands. These guys are amazing musicians and it’s apparent from the first note to the last on their new release, Dark Deceiver. Zero Hour was formed in 1993 in San Francisco, and this marks the 6th release from the band. They are a progressive band with lots of punch - I swear this is the most brutal progressive music I ever laid ears on. If you could imagine the brutality of Divine Heresy mixed with the musical skill of Dream Theater you would be close.
Dark Deceiver has a variety of styles represented on it in the form of heavy aggressive riffs with technical amazing musicianship. The CD has 9 tracks of pure virtuosity, which includes a killer bass solo from bassist Troy Tipton. Troy is a master of the humble 4 string and this guy truly wails. Guitarist Jasun Tipton is just a plain monster. His style is like a mix of Steve Vai and Marty Friedman, and boy can this guy can rip. Check out their site to see it first hand. Jason has a nice heavy sound that gives his riffs a crisp, crunchy sound. Meanwhile, vocalist Chris Salinas has a formidable set of pipes and is very versatile. His high vocals are reminiscent of Geoffe Tate (Queensryche) while his lower vocals sound similar to Brandon Boyd (Incubus). Yeah, I know.
The songs of Dark Deceiver are dark, complex, and brutal yet melodic. Chock full of killer riffs and a strong progressive vibe this CD should have prog fans frothing at the mouth (well, more than usual). The only downside to the CD is that all of this virtuosity might throw some listeners off with the experimentation that goes on in some of the tracks. I think the band is strongest when they take a more straightforward approach. They definitely have a knack for intertwining satisfyingly melodic passages into their songs which will keep you craving more.
Bottom Line: Progressive music played more brutal than you’ve ever heard before by superior musicians.
black-star.jpg
black-star.jpg
black-star.jpg
black-half-star.jpg

Standout Tracks: Inner Spirit, Resurrection, The Temple Within and Lies