Possible hotel discount for PPUSA X

Which hotel is your first choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've stayed and the Residence and the Marriott around the corner and I liked them both, Marriott being nicer obviously but a bit further away. I was telling my PP cohorts that I'd like to try staying at the Granada next year since its the closest so I'm down with the
Granada.

I voted for the Residence, but at this point I'd certainly consider the Granada as well. Even if you could talk the R.I. folks back down to the rates they were offering a few years ago, I'd be happy.

However, smilin' Tom the manager-on-duty assured me with a smirk that their rates would be going UP, not down, next year. So, I may well opt for the Granada next year.

I really DO like the suites at the Residence, even though we never made use of the stove or the microwave this year. :)

Speaking of hotels, how about those signs across the street from the venue promising retail space and a luxury hotel, among other stuff? Looked like it will take up that whole block between the two Peachtree streets..anyone know when the completion date is expected on that? A hotel right across from Center Stage would be quite convenient, but probably hella pricey, & will likely only make our usual hotels up their rates as well..a double edged sword, that whole deal.

I stayed at the Inn at the Peachtrees this year - LOVED it... the courtyard flat out rocks... yeah it's a bit away, but MARTA's right there and the free shuttle was da bomb - Gerard the driver took GREAT care of us!!!!

I'll sacrifice closeness for another great stay there... and I'm all for affordable!!

Yeah, I noticed those signs across the street too. The hotel will likely be an expensive one. However, retail means there might actually be some sort of restaurant there. One that may be open past 5 PM. A man can dream, anyway...

dt

Speaking of hotels, how about those signs across the street from the venue promising retail space and a luxury hotel, among other stuff?

Those signs were there last year as well, so I wouldn't hold my breath. My guess is that the project is on hold considering the current state of the economy.

Donald Trump was supposed to build a super tower about a block south between West Peachtree and Spring streets. I didn't see any movement on that since last year as well.

But if those projects do get off the ground, hotel rates will shoot through the roof. :erk:

Those signs were there last year as well, so I wouldn't hold my breath. My guess is that the project is on hold considering the current state of the economy.

Donald Trump was supposed to build a super tower about a block south between West Peachtree and Spring streets. I didn't see any movement on that since last year as well.

But if those projects do get off the ground, hotel rates will shoot through the roof. :erk:

Movement has been made. AFAIK they've been building the base which takes a long time for a big building :)

Would be great if the Res offered something.... but they are pretty greedy, and I doubt you can break them. Id definitely be in though!

Agreed - I like having a fridge/microwave, and also being able to run back to the hotel in between band sets to grab food and drop off purchases. I am very sentitive to smoke, so I also appreciate the "smoke free" policy.

I am currently haggling with the Residence over 3 bottles of water charged to my credit card after the fact that I did *not* consume. Yeah, OK, the total cost was less than a single CD (which I bought 20+ of) but it's still aggravating. :mad:

I am currently haggling with the Residence over 3 bottles of water charged to my credit card after the fact that I did *not* consume. Yeah, OK, the total cost was less than a single CD (which I bought 20+ of) but it's still aggravating. :mad:

That's the one that always really gets me. They stock your room up with all these drinks, then if you actually want to drink one, they friggan charge your damn room! I ran into a similar situation on a cruise ship in that I did avail myself to a can of Coke, that was only supposed to be a $1, but they charged my room $3 for the big 1 liter bottle of water, that I did not even touch. After some fussing at the purser's desk, they did eventually fix it (both a Jeer and Cheer to Carnival Cruise), but still....

Personally, I'm all for a discount. But I have to echo what I said last year... it's tough to imagine why the Residence or Granada would offer any more than a token discount, given that they know the hotel is going to be fully booked on those days regardless of discounts. That's basically like asking them to take a couple grand in cash and throw it out into the middle of Peachtree Street. Especially if the Granada goes down for "renovation" next year... the Residence prices will no doubt be even higher. There's obviously a great benefit in being that close to the venue. There were a couple years I stayed at hotels that were further away (within a 10 minute drive), and paid less than $40 a night. Even paying $5 a day for parking near the venue, that was still a lot cheaper than staying close by. And I still did plenty of partying at the Residence and Granada, heh. But that's obviously more of a pain in the ass than being able to simply walk back to your hotel. That's in part what prompted me to stay at the Super 8 this year, although their rates are gradually working their way towards 3-digit territory as well, and they are further from the venue than the Residence or Granada, but still walking distance. But with the prices in that area in general... well, it's a far cry from the first couple years when I got a room at the Fairfield for $48 and the Residence for $54. There were also a couple years where I got a decent deal at the Sheraton, though I don't know what the deal is with that place lately, as I didn't happen to run into anyone who stayed there this year. Anyway, I'm all for a possible discount, and really appreciate MetalRose's effort.

No kidding, the RI charged me for a bottle of water after the fact too that I didn't drink. I don't even recall seeing any in the room. I wonder if there were supposed to stock the room with water but didn't, and charged us since it wasn't there after we checked out. I haven't contacted them yet over such a small charge, but I think I will just to make a stink about it.

Guy

There were also a couple years where I got a decent deal at the Sheraton, though I don't know what the deal is with that place lately, as I didn't happen to run into anyone who stayed there this year.

I'm surprised no one has looked at the Sheraton as a possible alternative. It's a very nice hotel, it's about the same distance away as the Courtyard on Techwood is, and it's actually MUCH closer to most of the restaurants in that area (it's right by 14th St). It's a bit more expensive, but since few or none of us stay there each year, it seems like it would benefit them to offer a discount to us, moreso than it would benefit the Granada or the RI.

I'm surprised no one has looked at the Sheraton as a possible alternative. It's a very nice hotel, it's about the same distance away as the Courtyard on Techwood is, and it's actually MUCH closer to most of the restaurants in that area (it's right by 14th St). It's a bit more expensive, but since few or none of us stay there each year, it seems like it would benefit them to offer a discount to us, moreso than it would benefit the Granada or the RI.

It's also a much more pleasant walk to and from than the Courtyard on Techwood.

The Sheraton -is- a nice hotel. Years ago, we hosted both World Horror Con (for horror writers and publishers) and the Nebula Awards Banquet (science-fiction writers' annual awards ceremony) at that hotel, and I have no reason to think it's gone downhill since.

I'd think that if someone told them "Hey, we have a lot of people coming into town, who would commit to staying at your hotel if you could beat the rates at the R.I. by, say, 30%...." :heh:

I stayed at the Sheraton a few years ago..got a beast of a deal on one of the travel sites for airfare+hotel, something like $300 for both, which even when airfare was cheap is an awesome deal, given what a room at the Sheraton usually costs. Gorgeous hotel & it's connected to the little Colony Square mall thingy which is handy..I did get hit up for change by some homeless guys on the walk back over there one night, though..lol.

It wouldn't have been so bad if that infamous 14th street bridge was there! The Hampton Inn used to be across the freeway from the Courtyard Techwood and it was a great place to stay. Sad to see it go. :cry:

Eventually, the long-term plan is to rebuild the bridge -- probably making it more pedestrian-friendly -- and redevelop the sites along 14th Street. It'd be nice if the businesses that were located along the construction corridor were given right of first refusal to return, but I doubt that's the case. :(

Eventually, the long-term plan is to rebuild the bridge -- probably making it more pedestrian-friendly -- and redevelop the sites along 14th Street.

When I stayed at the Courtyard Techwood, the manager on duty said that the goal was to have the bridge rebuilt by June 2009 (though I've seen on the web October 2009).

I wonder if the 14th street bridge will be something like the 17th street bridge, where the travel lanes and sidewalks are wide?

It'd be nice if the businesses that were located along the construction corridor were given right of first refusal to return, but I doubt that's the case. :(

My guess is that is wishful thinking on our part. :(