Post 10 bands who you hope to see at future ProgPowers.

Ack, sorry i havent read this for a while.

To mgirishfan, I havent seen them live, or seen any live video's by them, but just by some of the pictures i've seen I assume that theyd be kickass and really into their performance. Also, just like the other guy said, I would think Tony just sings and leaves the keys to the keyboard player... AND I LOVE KEYTARS!!!!! LOL they're cheesy as hell, but I dont know, theyre so cheesy that theyre good.

I would actually prefer he used a regular keyboard, but if he's using a keytar, better than nothing. I better be able to see SONATA!!!

But that is just what i gathered from what he said... but ..... i think that if we all come togeather and ASSULT him with e-mail it will help. SOOOOO his email is jens+@panix.com

Ciao!

Lost Horizon
Helloween
Stratovarius
Freedom Call
Sonata Arctica
Twilightning
Armageddon (Why the hell does has no one ever heard of this badass band)
Pagans Mind
Dark Moor
Human Fortress

Beyond awesome.

III (the newest one) is very good too if you can find it for sale. I believe it is import only. (If you live in the US and maybe even for Europe too, because they are only popular in japan as I recall)

:erk:

While Heaven Wept would have my vote too, with their awesome blend of power and doom, but I know that

1) They probably wouldn't play even if asked. God damn doom mentality.

2) No one would ask them because they aren't nearly popular enough.

They should be.

this is the REAL DEAL; many of these bands will be impossible to get, but i an dream cant I?

Symphony X
Opeth
Adagio
Nevermore
Pain of Salvation
Dream Thater
Evergrey
Meshuggah
Chris Brooks (yeah! why not?)
Andromeda

1 Aria (great russian band with HUGE live experience, people call them "the Russian Iron Maiden")
2 Savatage
3 Sonata Arctica
4 Nightwish (missed PP4)
5 Symphony X (same)
6 Hammerfall
7 Royal Hunt
8 Stratovarius
9 Children of Bodom
10 Virgin Steel

Hmm, let's see....

Pre-party:

Magistral, Stride, Lilitu, Ender's Game (3 out of the 4)

PP bands (this is only a wish list):

Sonata Arctica
Therion -or- Ayreon -or- Green Carnation
Superior
Angra (since I was too tired to really enjoy their set in 2002)
Ozric Tentacles (on the "I really miss them" principle :))
Children of Bodom -- 5 songs on this current tour was NOT enough
Into Eternity
Vintersorg
Andromeda
Adagio

NOTES:
-- Although CoB is currently touring, there's no doubt they need to play here again, and soon. They had the crowd eating out of their hands and kinda embarassed poor Nevermore, who had to follow them. (They may be touring shortly with Iced Earth, though.....)
-- Yes, I know Therion, Ayreon or GC are probably impossible. Maybe Superior, too. One can dream. :)
-- Those who say Ozrics aren't a crunchy, heavy band at all have never seen them live. :)

97reb said:
Okay, to those of you who were bored with Opeth in Atlanta, what the Fuck? They were great. Lillitu did do a good job, but they were not as professional as they could have been.
I meant to reply to this part earlier. I really liked Lilitu's set and they played well despite their technical problems, but they reportedly annoyed the venue enough that they're not likely to re-book them. (When you're a local band and you get a great slot opening for a national act, you do the best you can and take it as it comes. You do not whine or bitch at the venue people for any problems, venue-caused or otherwise, that arise.)

A shame, really.

As for Opeth, if anyone went to their show not expecting long, intricate songs, then I honestly don't know why you were there. That's what Opeth is all about. (It makes it much harder to play them on the radio, but I manage.)

Yakuza were outclassed fore and aft. Lacuna Coil, however, were refreshing and fun. A good headbangin' set, both the audience and the band. They're poised to do a headlining tour in the States, too, thanks to two successful opening gigs. More power to 'em!

--Paul C.
WREKage 91.1 FM www.wrekage.org
ProgPower USA IV co-sponsor

Pellaz said:
As for Opeth, if anyone went to their show not expecting long, intricate songs, then I honestly don't know why you were there. That's what Opeth is all about. (It makes it much harder to play them on the radio, but I manage.)

Well, I was there for Lacuna Coil. A friend of mine extolled the virtues of Opeth, so I stayed for their set. Unfortunately, the line-up had just too many people in it for me and the long songs just made it that much worse. I'm sure if there were shorter warm-up sets and not as many bands on the ticket (or me just showing up late) I would have enjoyed them more.

Personally, I rarely go to concerts for the headliners (e.g. Type O/Lacuna Coil concert) unless it's just them and an opening band, for multiple reasons.

SAVATAGE can I have them 10 times in a row?? ;)

not? OKAY......then I need to think of some more :)

Savatage and/or Jon Oliva Solo Project
Symphorce!!!! (excellent german progmetal with Andy B. Frank, the voice of Brainstorm)
Vanden Plas
Evergrey
Pain of Salvation
Arena
Spocks Beard
Masterplan
Pagan's Mind
Solituede Aeturnus

and for the time slot spots:
Morgana Lefay and
Mind Odyssee

More bands I would like see at the next ProgPower:
Jacob's Dream
Transatlantic
Liquid Tension Experiment
Spastic Ink (I'm not sure if they could pull that stuff off live, though)
Sea of Dreams (if they are still together)

Also, while I do like some melodic death metal bands (most notably Dark Tranquillity and Opeth), I don't want to see them play at any ProgPower festival in the future. While many of these bands could be considered progressive, they are also death metal and would bring with them many "death metal only" fans who dislike prog metal and hate power metal (I'm not saying all their fans are like this, just that they have many fans like this). This would change the "demographics" of the audience and we would have situations like in PPIII where a lot of people would leave after they see the bands they came to see and not stay for the whole thing (I'm referring to the Blind Guardian-Pain of Salvation section of the first night) except that this would be on a much larger scale since death metal fans outnumber prog and power metal fans in the US.

Also, that is a great lineup, SavaHexe.

Mephistopheles said:
The Melo Death bands could make a good "Oddball" slot filler though. Especially something like Dark Tranquillity. I could definately see them playing a ProgPower in that slot.
Totally agree.

Also, it would be a hardened, dedicated -- and wealthy -- fan indeed who would shell out $90+ just to see his one extreme-metal band play at ProgPower. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but there wouldn't be too many. While there are more extreme-metal fans around than power- or prog-metal fans, I can't ProgPower getting overrun by them unless Glenn books someone like Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir (with archestra) for an exclusive two-hour slot. Which ain't gonna happen.

Besides, those eeevil death-metal fans are everywhere, even at ProgPower. :OMG: Why, I heard tell there were even a few Opeth shirts in evidence. And quite a few other eeeeeeeevil t-shirts. This might come as a shock to some, but there are extreme-metal fans out there with open minds. Whether the converse is true is left as an exercise for the reader.

Pellaz said:
This might come as a shock to some, but there are extreme-metal fans out there with open minds. Whether the converse is true is left as an exercise for the reader.
I love extreme-metal as long as I can filter out the growling! :) Just kidding Paul, I pick and choose my extreme metal music, if they can play there instruments and sound good, I can put up with the lack of voice talent...although Opeth proved me wrong on that with Damnation! :)

Cheers, Tony

There are many bands which are considered extreme because of the vocals even though the music is power metal or prog metal. Some great bands with growling vox include:
Children of Bodom (They rule....ProgPower V please!!!)
Kalmah (Similar to Bodom)
Dark Tranquillity
Dimmu Borgir
Norther
Soilwork (up to Natural Born Chaos)
In Flames (up to Clayman)
Epica (combines with female vox)
Tristania (same as above)
Sirenia (same as previous two)
Penumbra (once again with female vox as well)
Mercenary
After Forever
Arch Enemy
Throne of Chaos
Crematory
Death
Edge of Sanity
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Ensiferum
Suidakra
Furia
Godgory