ProgPower USA: Ways to Save Money

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I have read several comments around the web about how it's just too expensive to come to ProgPower. I cannot address every individual comment, but there is a way to do the festival cheaply. It just takes a bit more research, effort, and will power.

1. Ticket:

I cannot really help you there. I have a budget to cover. :heh:

2. Transportation:

a. Looking for a ride? Now is the time to post on the forum instead of 3-4 months from now.
b. Flights. Keep a close eye out for the airfare war sales. It was only two weeks ago where we saw a temporary $100-$200 drop in prices. History has shown that will happen again prior to the festival. You can sign up for airfare alerts at places like travelocity. Otherwise, check out places like farecast.com or kayak.com for searches and comparisons. Finally, take a chance on naming your own price via places like priceline.
c. Bus: For the hardcore, cheap bastard...it's an option.

Also, make sure you carry your luggage instead of checking it since airlines are now charging for that.

3. Local Transportation:

For first time attendees, transportation could not be easier.

MARTA = Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

At Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, arriving air travelers should follow the Ground Transportation signs to MARTA. The entrance to MARTA's Airport Station is located inside the western end of the airport's main terminal. Our faregates are just a few feet from the baggage claim areas. Follow the signs, they are plentiful. There is no change-over and the ride is approximately 20 minutes. Once you exit up the stairs, you will find yourself across the street from the Artmore Hotel with less than a minute walk to the venue.

Cost is $2.00 one way.

http://www.itsmarta.com/ for schedules, maps, etc.

More info: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-atlantas-rail-bus-transportation-system.html

3. Hotels:

If you check the link out on our website, you will see the company that I am partnering with is offering places like the Super 8 for $60. Split that among 4 people and you are looking at $45 each for 3 days.

Need a roomie? Post your need now instead of waiting.

Otherwise, check out Jen's original post on how to potentially get one even cheaper than listed:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/653794-how-get-cheap-hotel-room-progpower-usa.html

You can also look for cheap condos in Atlantic Station at places like VRBO as there is a free shuttle to midtown from there.

4. Food:

You don't have to eat out every meal. You are so close to the venue that you can eat/drink in your room:

Kroger https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...110922257942.95966.88398722942&type=1&theater
Publix https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...110922257942.95966.88398722942&type=1&theater
Closest liquor store https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...110922257942.95966.88398722942&type=1&theater
Trader Joe's https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150109969002943&set=a.110922257942.95966.88398722942&type=1&theater

Otherwise, a few protein bars hidden in your daypack will do the trick nicely during the show.

5. Party

Come on down to the Artmore courtyard at just about any hour. The party goes on all day/night. There is no charge to hang out and run into your favorite band by chance.

Definitely take advantage of any breakfast your hotel offers. Eating a decent breakfast (which I usually only do during my week in atlanta) can space things out to where you can have a decent lunch and make it through most of the festival, then just run out in between bands fora quick bite/snack.

If your room doesn't have a fridge - get a cooler. Throw some soda, water, beer, vodka in there for during the day or to grab when heading off to the parties. Sammich meats & bread go a long way, as do protein bars. Plus if you fill up before you head off to any of the various meetups at restaurants & bars, you are less likely to gorge there :)

Go in on stuff with peeps, rather than ordering a pizza to your hotel for yourself or one other person - see if anyone else around is hungry and go in on it with them if you are trying to make your money last, hell, you can meet some new people that way. Pile into a cab (if you need one) with strangers, believe me, as many people as we have fit into a cab/shuttle, you don't stay strangers for long :)

Best way to save money? Don't drink (have yet to accomplish this) and stay away from the vendor area (but I can't and you shouldn't - there's just so many things wonderful things there, but that is why I try to save money on other stuff during the fest). If you do get hard up for money, I have heard that entertaining the little old ladies on the MARTA trains in the middle of the night can result in perhaps a few dollars being tucked into your waistband, not that I would know anything personally about that.

Good call on the parking Glenn/Jen.

One rather big expense that can be shaved down a bit is to park somewhere other than your hotel. I know ours it ends up costing like 20 bucks/day, which is a bit extreme.

When you add in the 17.5% tourist tax on top of your quoted room rate, then factor in parking - you can get quite a shock at the end of your stay. Some of those parking lots are right by the hotels and venue so you and others will be passing it several times per day, hopefully making it less likely to be broken into.

If your room doesn't have a fridge - get a cooler. Throw some soda, water, beer, vodka in there for during the day or to grab when heading off to the parties.

As an "add-on" tip...bring one of those soft-side coolers (some of them are pretty big). They can be folded and put in your carry-on bag and ice is available in the hotel for free (fill it up in the MORNING, otherwise the machines run out later). I'd advise keeping it in your tub/shower, though...I've had them leak before.

Harvester said:
c. Bus: For the hardcore, cheap bastard...it's an option.

Never again. I learned my lesson at ProgPower III. And it's not much cheaper.

Just fly. Believe me, taking a bus ain't worth it. Especially if you're coming down from NYC.

More info about the free shuttle in Atlantic Station:

Also, I don't think that a lot of folks know about Atlantic Station. It's a new, trendy community located approx. 1.5 miles behind the venue with a ton of shops and restaurants located across the 17th Street Bridge (crosses over the interstate). There's also a Target, IKea, and Cinema. Click here for a map.

What's great is that Atlantic Station offers a free shuttle from the MARTA Arts Center Station near The Artmore. The bus departs the Arts Center MARTA station every 15-30 minutes.

FREE RIDE Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri 5:00 am – 1:00am
Sat-Sun 5:00 am – 1:00am

Also, some people have had luck with finding lodging in Midtown or Atlantic Station on vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner)
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/georgia/atlanta-central-southern/atlanta

I hope this helps someone!

~Jen

If you're driving to the fest rather than flying, you may want to consider a hotel outside of Atlanta. You can get some nice hotels 30 minutes away in Roswell/Alpharetta for less than $50. You'll have to pay to park at or near the venue, but you'll still come out ahead. Bring food and drinks in a cooler and you're all set. Just make sure to give all of the money you save to the CD vendors at the fest. I know I do!

Every year, we go to the hotel, drop off the bags, then run to Kroger and get all the food and beer for the weekend. We drink and eat in the hotel room.

Parking cost is always a pain, but it only runs 10 bucks a day more to keep the car in the garage as opposed to a parking ramp somewhere.

My biggest concern is merch...always end up spending way over budget.

I just gave in a few years ago and took the Disney motto:

"ProgPower is not about saving money...it is about spending money."

If you're driving to the fest rather than flying, you may want to consider a hotel outside of Atlanta. You can get some nice hotels 30 minutes away in Roswell/Alpharetta for less than $50. You'll have to pay to park at or near the venue, but you'll still come out ahead. Bring food and drinks in a cooler and you're all set. Just make sure to give all of the money you save to the CD vendors at the fest. I know I do!

You won't save much, if anything, with these gas prices.

I'm coming out of Jacksonville FL, I will have at least 3 seats available...if you wanna throw me some gas money and you aren't finicky about everything, send me a message if you need to carpool. :p Drinks and sunroof included. :p The less 'off the highway' you are located, the better, but yeah.

My biggest concern is merch...always end up spending way over budget.

I just gave in a few years ago and took the Disney motto:

"ProgPower is not about saving money...it is about spending money."

Me too! I used to try to stick to a pre-determined budget. I failed pretty hard. I actually am reasonably frugal in my normal life, but when it comes to this weekend, I make sure I have a pile of money saved up before hand and then splurge with maniacal glee.

Just fly. Believe me, taking a bus ain't worth it. Especially if you're coming down from NYC.

Can you imagine some first timer wearing an Angra shirt ending up on the same bus as AngraRules?!?

abit off topic but whats close to the Center Stage for CLothes shopping ala malls or cool shops..The wife luvs her clothes!!!!:loco:

The Atlantic Station that was talked about above has everything in that area; nice clothing stores, discount clothing stores. Wife spent 171 dollars on some damn boots. It is a short walk too, quite nice if the weather is good. Every year we had struggled to find lunch options but no more, there are many places to choose from. Atlantic station is nice and there is a publix there as well.

That being said, if you are in the right area, taking Amtrak can be a good option. I've done it twice from DC and it has worked quite well. The Atlanta Amtrak station is just north of the Super 8, so it isn't much of a hike.

Unfortunately, I don't work quite as close to the rails as I used to...

abit off topic but whats close to the Center Stage for CLothes shopping ala malls or cool shops..The wife luvs her clothes!!!!:loco:

Atlantic Station is very trendy and posh, imo. For some really good shopping (a variety), I suggest taking MARTA rail to Lenox Square mall. It's awesome. A lot of the bands go there while at PPUSA, too.

I have a pic and description of it in the Atlanta Attractions facebook photo album.

~Jen