ProgPower USA: Ways to Save Money

I can't read "Highland Inn" without hearing it to the tune of Highland Winds by Wuthering Heights. The song immediately starts playing in my head.

Last year (July 20th to be exact), I booked tix on Delta for $174 round trip each. This year I had been watching and watching for Delta to drop their fares to no avail. I finally secured tix for us via AirTran. Only down side is that we will be leaving at 6 am to fly out, but the bonus - an extra day in Atlanta! We will be tired, but it is worth the sacrifice because I got our tix at $189. each (round trip).

What's funny is when I was working at the restaurant this past weekend a Delta pilot was in. I said "I love flying you guys to Atlanta, but had to book with AirTran because you guys just won't give us a break." ha ha. Not the pilots fault, but maybe he will give word back to the higher ups.

Based on what I've observed in the past, I predict some Delta and Airtran flights to Atlanta for the second week of September, which are still selling for higher prices at the moment, will drop within the next 2 weeks.

Another sometimes astonishingly cheap option for getting to Atlanta would be MegaBus. One-way tickets as low as $1 and even on longer routes (Orlando to Atlanta, say) they can be as low as $8 one-way.

Their buses are GORGEOUS, too. Double-decker buses made by Van Hool and it seems like they were all made, like, last year. Free (although sometimes slow) Wi-Fi on board as well.

[Yeah, I know they had a bad crash recently, but it sounds like it was caused by a blown tire, and just plain bad luck as to where it happened.]

Here's a visual that may help some folks.

To get to Publix grocery store, Take MARTA Arts Center Station to the Midtown station - walk 2 blocks to Publix & directly across, Mac's Beer and Wine.

It's a 1.3 mile walk to Publix from the venue. Some folks may be okay to walk rather than take MARTA; however, I'm considering the walk back in the heat with groceries & beer! ;)

Image below taken from Custom Google Map

1009775_10151736264982943_1018435346_n.jpg

It's a 1.3 mile walk to Publix from the venue. Some folks may be okay to walk rather than take MARTA; however, I'm considering the walk back in the heat with groceries & beer! ;)
Made the walk once, several years ago...never again. Maybe living in San Diego my entire life has made me soft when it comes to hot weather (ie, anything above 75*), but the MARTA ride is well worth it.

Made the walk once, several years ago...never again. Maybe living in San Diego my entire life has made me soft when it comes to hot weather (ie, anything above 75*), but the MARTA ride is well worth it.

Lol, I was thinking the opposite. If a fatty like me can endure that walk then surely anyone can! I wasn't going all the way to the venue though, just back to the Super 8.

One other travel tip that may be of use to people who may have large or multiple pieces of luggage... Southwest and Airtran have merged, but for now they continue to operate as two separate airlines. However, when you search for an itinerary on Southwest's website, Airtran flights also show up in your search results (and vice versa). So as you can imagine, a lot of Southwest flights to and from Atlanta are actually on Airtran. However, if you buy an Airtran flight through Southwest's website, you still get the two free checked bags. Yet, you still have to pay extra for checked bags when buying that same flight (for the same price) directly through Airtran's site. Also, you can't use an aggregator like Expedia, Travelocity, or Orbitz, because they understandably view the flight as an Airtran flight, whereas the Southwest website views it as a Southwest itinerary serviced by Airtran.

Yeah, the walk to Publix *is* a bit of a hike, but I'm used to it - that's pretty much the same distance I walk every day to work in the same hot weather. Besides, it's a good way to work off all the calories from all the eating out we do!

My advice is this: Never take a cab unless absolutely necessary. I didnt think think about the MARTA closing late last year, and found myself having to take a cab to sandy springs. 40 BOLLARS! Way outta line.

My advice is this: Never take a cab unless absolutely necessary. I didnt think think about the MARTA closing late last year, and found myself having to take a cab to sandy springs. 40 BOLLARS! Way outta line.

Man, sorry to hear that! $40 is indeed a lot for a cab ride, but to be fair, for those that aren't aware, Sandy Springs is about 15 miles from the venue. :)

If attendees aren't able to stay in Midtown, we recommend Atlantic Station, Downtown, or Buckhead for proximity.

Taxi cab rates are regulated by the city.

1003001_10151727536752943_1593986595_n.jpg

Lol, I was thinking the opposite. If a fatty like me can endure that walk then surely anyone can! I wasn't going all the way to the venue though, just back to the Super 8.

Heh... I've stayed at the Super 8 a couple times over the years (back when it was still the Super 8)... back then there was no need to walk all the way to the Publix... there was a Kroger that was like a 5 minute walk away, just across the freeway overpass. That store closed a few years back though.

Incidentally, if anyone is still looking for low-cost lodging that is still easily within walking distance from the venue, the former Super 8 (now called America's Best Value Inn), apparently still has rooms available, according to their website. Seems like it might be cheaper than some of the hotels you might have to drive from.

Also, if anyone is looking for rooms even closer (though somewhat more expensive), both the Residence Inn and the Marriott Suites still have rooms available, according to their respective websites at least.

Also, if anyone is looking for rooms even closer (though somewhat more expensive), both the Residence Inn and the Marriott Suites still have rooms available, according to their respective websites at least.

I had tried the Residence Inn last week when it said they had rooms available, but when I went to check out, it went to unavailable.

What is still available is the Courtyard across the highway by Georgia Tech. If you are willing to pay ahead of time, they will take 20% off. ($95 a night for me.)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/atlmn-courtyard-atlanta-midtown-georgia-tech/

I had tried the Residence Inn last week when it said they had rooms available, but when I went to check out, it went to unavailable.

What is still available is the Courtyard across the highway by Georgia Tech. If you are willing to pay ahead of time, they will take 20% off. ($95 a night for me.)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/atlmn-courtyard-atlanta-midtown-georgia-tech/

That's a good point. In my experience, if you log on well in advance, Marriott's website usually does a good job of letting you know right up front if rooms are available for a given hotel on a given date. But as the date draws nearer, the availability info often becomes less accurate, and sometimes it looks like rooms are available even when they're not, or like rooms are not available even when they are.

Also, don't forget that your AAA membership can often help you save a good chunk of change on hotels!

"Happened to notice this deal for DaVinci's Pizza, whose second location is just a block south of the Artmore Hotel and has become a standard PPUSA visit for some. $10 gets you $20 in-store credit." - thanks, Pellaz!

http://loafdeals.com/r/94a95bc724153

The Red Roof Inn in Smyrna, GA has a super-cheap online deal going on right now. If you book ahead of time with the "nicest price" deal you can get a room for about $37 a night. Met-Al and I got a Superior King room, and for four nights it's less than $200 with the online deal. :)
https://www.redroof.com/property/Sm...I-285-Larry-McDonald-Memorial-Highway/RRI088/

Just be careful booking online. It did tell me "An Error occurred. We had a problem processing your request, please try again" When I did, I got the same error, yet when I checked my e-mail, it had gone through both times. Needless to say I called immediately and cancelled one. So if you do this and it gives you an error, check your e-mail before you try again!