ProgPower USA: Ways to Save Money

One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned in the food section is that there's a Papa John's in Midtown that delivers. I'm pretty sure I actually got two large pizzas for $20 when I ordered Thursday night last year. :)

One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned in the food section is that there's a Papa John's in Midtown that delivers. I'm pretty sure I actually got two large pizzas for $20 when I ordered Thursday night last year. :)

You should see it now.

The only way I've gotten to attend ProgPower for the last 5 years is because I've roomied with folks... There are awesome folks looking for roomies...

And Glenn's right about the day/ night Artmore gathering/ party.. That alone is worth the $$ I got 4 hours sleep over two days thanks to those ARtmore parties - and totally worth the sleep deprivation!!!!

The only way I've gotten to attend ProgPower for the last 5 years is because I've roomied with folks... There are awesome folks looking for roomies...

And Glenn's right about the day/ night Artmore gathering/ party.. That alone is worth the $$ I got 4 hours sleep over two days thanks to those ARtmore parties - and totally worth the sleep deprivation!!!!

I probably could save some money by getting a roomie, but I loved having a king size bed all to myself (no wife, no snoring doggie! lol) besides I too only had a total of 4 or 5 hours of sleep last year, so screw it! :lol: And I agree about those Artmore Courtyard parties..so much fun and totally worth the lack of sleep! :headbang:

$20 for $40 at Avis from Groupon!

Too bad you can only use 1 voucher per rental, but hey, it's still saving $20 if you were planning on renting a car from Avis to drive to PP. :)

Fine print: expires 12/31/11. Minimum 2-day rental.

~Jen

I'll second what Justin said up above about staying outside of the ATL. I'm never not on a tight budget it seems like. I wish for once I could go down and blow a bunch of money and not give a damn! With that said, this festival can be done cheaply if you just follow some of the advice above...I've been doing it for years. You can really save alot of money if you simply bring some of your own food and drinks. My outlook on a hotel is simply, just the basics. Hell, you're barely there, so I'm not worried if it all offers all the bells and whistles as long as it's clean. Just my $0.02.

~Brian~

This isn't much of a help now, but over the past couple of years I have had money pulled out of each paycheck to cover the cost of the trip...goes into a savings account that I don't touch but once.

Festival money, guaranteed!

Most workplaces now have direct deposit, and most banks are cool with you opening a savings account and splitting your paycheck. You learn to live without the money...and will be able to make the trip and do pretty much whatever you want, within reason.

Excellent points, let's try to get this text out to people who aren't posting on the boards who are on the fence about coming! Hopefully we can push some people into reconsidering attending.

I am the roommate Justin is speaking of. the hotel out of town is great option if driving in. when justin told me my cut of the room last year i couldn't believe it was for three nights. C H E A P. gas was minimal since driving back to hotel so late there is no traffic so it's usually smooth sailing and easy on the engine.

I am the roommate Justin is speaking of. the hotel out of town is great option if driving in. when justin told me my cut of the room last year i couldn't believe it was for three nights. C H E A P. gas was minimal since driving back to hotel so late there is no traffic so it's usually smooth sailing and easy on the engine.

And just as important, it's clean and safe. Not some off-ramp shithole.

For those of you that may have missed it, Southwest Airlines began flying into Atlanta mid-February 2012. "Where bags fly free".

~Jen

That being said, if you are in the right area, taking Amtrak can be a good option. I've done it twice from DC and it has worked quite well. The Atlanta Amtrak station is just north of the Super 8, so it isn't much of a hike.

Yes, there is an Amtrak station less than 1 mile from the venue.

1688 Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309

American Automobile Association (AAA) members and their immediate family (spouses and dependents) are eligible to receive a 10% discount on the lowest available adult rail fare for Amtrak travel.

Active-duty US military personnel, their spouses and their dependents are eligible to receive a 10% discount on the lowest available rail fare on most Amtrak trains.

~Jen

For the budget conscious PPUSA attendee.. check out The Highland Inn. Right now on Expedia, you can book a single room for $55/night. It's a 2.5 star and 83% of former guests on Trip Advisor recommend it. It is 3.8 miles from the venue, so this would be a good option for those with cars.

~Jen

The Super 8 is sold-out; however, the Motel 6 Downtown Atlanta is offering a special - stay 3 nights, get the 4th free! $75/night for a single or double currently. Free parking and WiFi and just 3 blocks from MARTA train station.

Motel address: 311 Courtland Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30303 - 3 miles from venue. This is a 2 star motel; comparable to the nearby Super 8. TripAdvisor has 67 reviews; ranks it 85 out of 197 Atlanta hotels.

~Jen

For the budget conscious PPUSA attendee.. check out The Highland Inn. Right now on Expedia, you can book a single room for $55/night. It's a 2.5 star and 83% of former guests on Trip Advisor recommend it. It is 3.8 miles from the venue, so this would be a good option for those with cars.

The Highland Inn is now sold-out.

~Jen