Queensryche & Dream Theater Co-Headline

Wishmaster

Heavy Metal Llama!
Feb 20, 2002
Woodstock, GA
www.xsfl.com
I'm sure several of y'all have already heard about this, but here's the news for those who haven't...

--Mike

From Mike Portnoy's forum, posted by Portnoy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, the rumors are true!!

The tour package that progressive metal fans
have dreamed about for over 10 years has
finally come together for a US tour in July/August!

Dream Theater and Queensryche will be joining
forces for a co-headlining tour, each playing
equal set lengths, and will be joined by very
special guests Fates Warning.

Tour dates will be confirmed and announced in
the coming days and weeks so stay tuned!!

Not for nothing, but this tour should be a Dream Theater/Fates co-headlining tour with the now gone shit Queensrychye supporting them. Fates Warning has been shit on their whole career, and imo, they are one of the originators of this great style of music. What a shame. Anyway, it will still be great to see DT and Fates share the same stage even if Fates only gets 45 minutes to play.

I'm just a wee bit excited about this tour.
party-smiley-017.gif
I've been waiting a loooooong time to see Fates!!

Stacy

nightwish58 said:
Not for nothing, but this tour should be a Dream Theater/Fates co-headlining tour with the now gone shit Queensrychye supporting them. Fates Warning has been shit on their whole career, and imo, they are one of the originators of this great style of music. What a shame. Anyway, it will still be great to see DT and Fates share the same stage even if Fates only gets 45 minutes to play.

No offense, I disagree. Queensryche have still been touring constantly and still draw big crowds to their shows, I have seen them 8 times and 3 with in the last couple years. While Kelly sucked they are still a good live band, with DeGarmo back in the band I am hoping the will capture the live magic like on the Promised Land tour once again. Fates Warning barely ever tours thats why they get the opening spot, their draw insn't that big here in the states. That being said I am going to enjoy ever single set from each of the bands I am sure. I really am looking forward to this one.

Bear

YtseJammer said:
Great tour..let's hope Queensryche plays Operation Mindcrime for their entire set..I'd be very pleased!

I agree...LOL. I like most of their earlier stuff more than their later stuff and Operation Mindcrime is just awesome. I didnt like DT's latest album though, it made me feel they didn't really put enough effort into it. I was kind of disappointed. :\ oh well, it would still be cool to see DT (if I even have money left by then...LOL).

Shit! Thanks for posting this, I would have missed it for sure. These are my 3 favorite bands from year one and I can't believe all three will tour together. While I like Ray Alders voice and I did manage to see them on the No Exit tour, I really, really, want to experience John Arch and the early Fates Warning material. Ah well, one can only wish...

While hearing Mindcrime in its entirety would be cool (tho I don't think anything will surpass Marillion doing 'Brave' last year!! :)), I would really hate to see Queensryche do it, or even a big chunk of it, as a setlist on a tour of any length whatsoever. For one thing, they simply have too much other quality material to just ignore. I do hope that we get a couple of different songs from time to time, as I'm planning on seeing as many shows as money and time allow. Plus, I can't imagine what would be worse than hearing APSOG, SfaM and O:M all live in one night, though I know that's sacrilege.

Although I've been listening to FW and DT for about as long as I have Queensryche, I have actually never seen DT live, and have only managed to catch FW on the APSOG tour. To say I'm looking forward to this would be an understatement. As long as Chris is with them, I don't think I'll bother nit-picking (as any complaints on my part would be) a tour I would have killed for a decade and a half ago, and that I *still* want to see--I can't think of many bands I can say that about. :)

Shaye

this will be a great tour,I am not a DT fan but seeing FW will be cool even though they play no old stuff.Queensryche pulled 2000 people lasttime they came through NC

nightwish58 said:

I can't honestly speak for DT or Queensryche, having seen neither of them live beyond the occasional video, but i have to heartily disagree with the idea of giving Fates Warning any longer than 45 minutes to play, based on their performance opening for Savatage. Let it be known that I do like Fates Warning, but they are resoundingly the most boring metal band I have EVER seen in a live performance. unless they've changed their lineup or energy level since that tour, 45 minutes is gracious plenty for them.

Ryan

I agree, they may not be the most energetic up on stage, but simply based on their catalog and longevity in the industry, I feel they should be given more respect. For me it is simple, Queensryche sold out and Fates never will! Queensryche has put out pure shit for the last few albums while Fates put out a classic in A Pleasant Shade of Grey.

nightwish58 said:
I agree, they may not be the most energetic up on stage, but simply based on their catalog and longevity in the industry, I feel they should be given more respect. For me it is simple, Queensryche sold out and Fates never will! Queensryche has put out pure shit for the last few albums while Fates put out a classic in A Pleasant Shade of Grey.

I disagree that Queensrÿche sold out. They did write a radio friendly song in "Silent Lucidity", and some other songs on the album caught on because of that. Empire was full of well-written songs. Hear In The Now Frontier was hardly a sell out, since nobody bought it. I think I may the only person in the world who thinks that is a good album. Q2K, for whatever reason (no Chris DeGarmo), just plain stunk, though.

It will be interesting to see what their setlist is. I saw them in 1990 on the Empire tour when they played all of Operation: Mindcrime. That was pretty cool.

I've tried to get into Fates a couple times with no "success". I bought Parallels way back when, and I didn't care much for it. I also saw them open for Savatage, and, as mentioned, they were pretty boring.

QR will be playing the bulk of their set from Mindcrime. Come on, its their most popular album and judging on what they have done in the recent past I wouldn't be surprised if only 1-2 tracks are represented from Rage for Order through the EP. If they really want to spicen things up then they'll bring out some rare shit like London, NM 156, No Sanctuary, Roads To Madness, and Screaming In Digital.

I saw the Evening with Queensryche show year before last. It was just OK. I'd say about a third of the material was Mindcrime, with another half split between Rage and Empire, and then the last bits from all the rest. Q2K stuff got almost no play whatsoever, thank god. Tate's voice was decent (reasonably comparable to my Livecrime tapes), but the guitar player was fucking up riffs and solos.

As for Fates Warning, I've really enjoyed their last couple of albums. Parallels and Inside Out were both snoozefests for me, and Perfect Symmetry was a little arhythmic for my tastes. APSoG and Disconnected are pretty terrific though.

Dream Theater's Dream Theater. They do what they do very well. My hope with this show is that the set'll be short enough that I won't get bored like I did with their "Evening with" show--I can only take so much wank.