Queensryche & Dream Theater Co-Headline

YtseJammer said:
Great tour..let's hope Queensryche plays Operation Mindcrime for their entire set..I'd be very pleased!

I sincerely hope NOT! That's what they've done on *every* tour for the past 14 years. I like O:M as much as the next person, but they have lots of other good material (hint: RFO) that they overlook because Mindcrime is what they're known for. That, and Silent Lucidity (ugh)....

I think they would bust out more of their lesser known stuff on this tour. There will be a lot of prog fans at this show obviously, not just people there to hear the radio singles and stuff like that. I feel they will not disapoint

Why is is that QR continues to realease very bland and boring discs, but only play the classic metal stuff on tour? Would QR have opened for Iron Maiden if they told Ron Smallwood that all their songs on the tour would come from the last two CDs? There seems to be a serious "disconnect" between what QR likes to do in the studio and what they like to do on stage. Don't they realize that the classic stuff they play on stage is of the genre that fans want to see them writing today? Yes, they have the right to explore and do what they want, but don't produce a bland adult-contemporary disc and then not have the guts to play the bulk of it on tour. IF QR thinks their last two discs are good enough to draw fans to concerts and get opening spots on major metal tours, then I'd like them see them announce that the next tour will feature only songs from HITNF and Q2K and see how many people they draw.

QR was my main band from Mindcrime through Promised Land. I "spoke the word" about QR to anyone who did not know of them. Then HITNF came out and I felt almost betrayed. I gave them credit for having the balls to try something different, and thought they would get back on track next CD. Well, Q2K let me down a second time.

To add the final nail to the QR coffin, Geoff's made some unbelievable commnets about not really ever being into metal during the QR glory years. I find the whole QR situation to be just baffling.

At this point, I don't see them deserving of a spot on the DT/FW tour, unless they drop the bomb-of-the-millenium and actually make an prog/power album they aren't afraid to play live.

What we have heerrree...is a failuuurree to communicate...naaa, what probably happened on the last 2 discs was either pressure from the label to follow up with another hit of some kind with the success of "Silent Lucidity".The guys may have looked around at the scene and said...hmm...alternative is hittin' right now, so.... . Plus, given the statements by Geoff about not wanting to be a part of the metal scene kinda gives credibility to that. But, Geoff's voice doesn't lend itself to an alternative sound and their songwriting ability really doesn't either...hence 2 discs go down.
They have an opportunity to redeem themselves wuth the next disc. Geoff needs to do what he does best...wailing away...hittin' those incredible notes
yell.gif
..and the guys go back to the writing formula that put 'em on the map. I hope it happens...especially considering who they're gonna be in the same venues with...
bowdown.gif
DT !!! So...here's for hoping...I need to believe again.

Personally, I am jazzed for this tour!!!! I LOOOVE Queensryche (yes, even Hear In The Now Frontier and not so much Q2K, though), they're probably one of my favorite bands ever. Dream Theater obviously kicks ass and Fates Warning, though some of their more recent stuff is pretty boring(that's why I'm hoping they play some of the old stuff), they, like Queensryche and Dream Theater, are legends in the Prog Metal circle, so i respect them for that. I'm gonna be quite the happy prog metal fan come July.

I seriously can't even believe this tour is going to happen! It will be incredible! Queensrÿche & Dream Theater are 2 of my top 3 favorite bands, and I know that Fates Warning is great! Am I the only one here that enjoyed Q2K? I mean, sure it's not another Op:MC or RfO, but I wouldn't want it to be.. let the band progress. I've seen them twice live (Q2K & Maiden/QR split) and they put on a terrific show! They don't disappoint.. but then, I'm biased. Like someone else said, I hope they realize that a lot of the audience will be familiar with their work other than radio songs so perhaps we can get some rare songs out of them this time! *crosses fingers for "London" & "Someone Else?"*

Dream Theater - what can I say, I drove 8 hours to see this band and drove all the way back after the show - that's how much I wanted to see them live! I saw them the week before that too, just an hour away and it was so good that I went the next week! The second show was a helluva lot better and I was definately blown away! The first time I saw them I was thinking "Yeah that was great, finally I saw DT.. but I just wasn't shocked and awed".. The 2dn show was certainly AMAZING! I love watching them perform live - I go home feeling inspired to pick up my guitar or throw it away because I'll never be that good! haha!

Fates Warning, I know next to nothing about them but I like what I've heard! I know that they are incredibly well-known to many of my friends and other people into the same music as I, so I'm sure that I'll enjoy them quite a bit!

~Sh0k~

sh0kr0k said:
I seriously can't even believe this tour is going to happen! It will be incredible! Queensrÿche & Dream Theater are 2 of my top 3 favorite bands, and I know that Fates Warning is great! Am I the only one here that enjoyed Q2K? I mean, sure it's not another Op:MC or RfO, but I wouldn't want it to be.. let the band progress. I've seen them twice live (Q2K & Maiden/QR split) and they put on a terrific show! They don't disappoint.. but then, I'm biased. Like someone else said, I hope they realize that a lot of the audience will be familiar with their work other than radio songs so perhaps we can get some rare songs out of them this time! *crosses fingers for "London" & "Someone Else?"*

Well, for the Live Evolution shows, they pulled out London, tho it sounds pretty terrible in places on the disc. That was, however, with The Klingon, so perhaps, presuming Chris will be with them, they could do it this tour. If they were to do both of those songs, I'd probably have a heart attack, though... :)

Anyway, I find it very interesting that so many people are characterizing them as pulling heavily from Mindcrime on their last tours... weren't they doing about 4 1/2 songs on the Q2k tour? I personally consider that a pretty reasonable amount. What I want to hear is more stuff from Rage and PL (and no fucking U2 covers!). Of course, I'd be happy to listen to them do nothing but Mindcrime and Take Hold if Jeffy w(c)ould hit that damned note again...

Regardless, I think I'm going to enjoy the show (heh), and I'm still planning on catching at least a few.

Shaye

Just saw on Ryche's website....no Degarmo for the European leg & a mention of hoping to "work with him in the future". Hhhmmm...this is not goods news. They're gonna be touring with "the" Dream Theater...they need all the help they can get.

In case nobody's seen it yet,...DeGarmo ain't gonna be there on the tour. Might be old news for most everybody here, but since I didn't see a post on it, I thought I'd pipe up. Check out www.queensryche.com for all the gory details.

As for my two cents, saw DT up on Long Island, NY a few times and they just blew me away,...saw them play ACOS for only the second time live while they were working it in and it was a LOT different than what ended up on tape.

Saw QR open for Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour (they were touring for RFO, I think) and they just smoked the stage that night,....

Never seen Fates though,...after getting Disconnected and Still Life, don't really have huge hunger pangs to see them live.

Killerpuppies said:
In case nobody's seen it yet,...DeGarmo ain't gonna be there on the tour. Might be old news for most everybody here, but since I didn't see a post on it, I thought I'd pipe up. Check out http://www.queensryche.com for all the gory details.

Yup, no Chris on tour. Gotta love how they hyped his return. Also gotta love how the Atlanta date was mysteriously cancelled, with no explanation.

--Mike

Wishmaster said:
Yup, no Chris on tour. Gotta love how they hyped his return. Also gotta love how the Atlanta date was mysteriously cancelled, with no explanation.

--Mike

Yeah, and to make matters worse,.....no dates between Orlando and Baltimore at all now which makes it what, about a 1000 miles in-between gigs? No Jax, Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond or DC anywhere on that list,......which would mean slinging my sorry butt up to Baltimore at the very least.

Just a gut feeling, but was the Atlanta show coinciding with any other hard rock/metal shows going on in the area at the same time???

-- Steve

Killerpuppies said:
Yeah, and to make matters worse,.....no dates between Orlando and Baltimore at all now which makes it what, about a 1000 miles in-between gigs? No Jax, Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond or DC anywhere on that list,......which would mean slinging my sorry butt up to Baltimore at the very least.

Unfortunately, Baltimore would probably be the only one I could go to, and it's during the week, too.

Just a gut feeling, but was the Atlanta show coinciding with any other hard rock/metal shows going on in the area at the same time???

If there is, then I haven't heard about it. Atlanta is not a town to see metal shows in, but Dream Theater and Queensrych have, historically, drawn sizeable crowds. My guess is that it's either a booking issue with the venue they chose, or some issue with the tour itself. Either way, I'm pissed that no reason was given.

Add to that that the Metal Gods tour (Halford, Testament, etc) just got cancelled, so I gotta return my tix for that. With the exception of ProgPower, I'm gonna have to do a lot of travelling to see anything good this year.

--Mike

Wishmaster said:
Unfortunately, Baltimore would probably be the only one I could go to, and it's during the week, too.

If there is, then I haven't heard about it. Atlanta is not a town to see metal shows in, but Dream Theater and Queensrych have, historically, drawn sizeable crowds. My guess is that it's either a booking issue with the venue they chose, or some issue with the tour itself. Either way, I'm pissed that no reason was given.

Add to that that the Metal Gods tour (Halford, Testament, etc) just got cancelled, so I gotta return my tix for that. With the exception of ProgPower, I'm gonna have to do a lot of travelling to see anything good this year.

--Mike

Mike,

Seems after studying the routing of the tour, the Atlanta show was on a Tuesday, and they seem to be taking Sundays and Mondays off, but,...having said that, the Saturday show previous to the Atlanta one is in Orlando and the Wednesday show is in Columbus, OH (huh?!?!) so, maybe they felt it was too much of a haul to get to Columbus from Atlanta in one night to start the week.

Yeah, cancelling the Metal Gods tour sucks as well, but from what I've read in bits and pieces on the board,...it seems that Halford and Testament might make a go of it alone for a few select dates.

And,.....as far as other shows in the region like I mentioned before,....there is only the BB King festival going on at the same time down your way,...so,....I really don't think there's any worry there.

Really perplexing when you look at the cancellation as a whole, me thinks.

-- Steve

:erk:

Killerpuppies said:
Mike,

Seems after studying the routing of the tour, the Atlanta show was on a Tuesday, and they seem to be taking Sundays and Mondays off, but,...having said that, the Saturday show previous to the Atlanta one is in Orlando and the Wednesday show is in Columbus, OH (huh?!?!) so, maybe they felt it was too much of a haul to get to Columbus from Atlanta in one night to start the week.

The distance factor would make sense, but it's not like tours haven't made overnight hauls like that before. I guess what I'd really like is an explanation to be posted, regardless of the reason. Like I said before, DT and QR have historically drawn good crowds in Atlanta, and they share a reasonable number of fans. Add Fates Warning to the bill, and they stand a good chance to sell out the show here. Ah, well...

Yeah, cancelling the Metal Gods tour sucks as well, but from what I've read in bits and pieces on the board,...it seems that Halford and Testament might make a go of it alone for a few select dates.

And,.....as far as other shows in the region like I mentioned before,....there is only the BB King festival going on at the same time down your way,...so,....I really don't think there's any worry there.

Really perplexing when you look at the cancellation as a whole, me thinks.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear what the final explanation is for that mess. I am happy that Halford and Testament seem determined to make it up to the fans, though. It shows real dedication, if you ask me.

Here's hoping that the Iron Maiden tour makes it to Atlanta! :)

--Mike