Dream Theater/Queensryche North American summer tour..

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?m=173993&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

"Yes, the rumours are true!!

The tour package that progressive metal fans have dreamed about for over 10 years has finally come together for a US tour in July/August!

Dream Theater and Queensryche will be joining forces for a co-headlining tour, each playing equal set lengths, and will be joined by very special guests Fates Warning.

Tour dates will be confirmed and announced in the coming days and weeks so stay tuned!!"

this will be HUGE if it happens...

Kyle

sitting with Fates if he was asked...

" As posted from Jim himself on the Fates Warning board...

Good news: It's official, we'll be opening for Dream Theater and Queensryche on this summer's tour.
Bad news: Due to prior personal commitments Mark Zonder will not be able to be with us. Substitute soon to be announced.
Good news: We will be joined on stage by non other than Frank X Aresti!

Lastly, I'd like to personally and publicly thank Mike Portnoy for making this happen. Thanks buddy!"

This news is great but also sad about Mark Zonder. I wonder if Paul might, but somehow based on http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=51284

"To my mind, there's an interesting, rough-and-ready division in the world of "progressive" music (a category-name I don't like, in any event) between the more avante-garde/experimental or "free-spirited" wing, and, say, the more -- how to describe it? -- "working-in-a-kind-of-tradition" approach, which could be described in terms of certain dominant characteristics that *almost* sum to a kind of "formula": long songs, working in odd times (and working in them in a definite way), conveying an "epic" feel, addressing "deep" topics lyrically, employing certain sounds, timbres, and textures, and so on. Though I'm certainly guilty of having worked in terms of the latter approach, my heart is definitely with the former -- to me that's where the real "action" is......So -- whether I succeed is another matter -- in the future I'll endeavor to be as original as possible, taking risks and, hopefully, pushing the envelope a bit. Speaking of which, the guys and I often speak about further, extra-Enchant collaborations (possibly more Xen, etc.), so I'm sure you haven't heard the last of us playing together."

I wonder if he'd have the time to take 2 months off during the summer to do it and more that if he'd have the desire, even though seemingly it would be playing with a band possibly he admired and was influenced by? ...it would be cool if Jim contacted Paul about it and it happened if indeed Mark Zonder is unavailable.

Kyle

"Interesting suggestion...so far I've heard two other speculative replacements who could possibly fill in, Sean Reinert and Zonder student Alex Arellano (Power Of Omens)..."

if not Paul, my personal hope would be Lou Caldarola formerly of Soundscape (who has opened for Fates Warning in CT), and now in You Name Hear:
http://www.yournamehear.net/

a band who recently opened for King's X in NY

Kyle

I saw Queensryche a few years ago when they toured with Iron Maiden and Halford. Queensryche put on one of the WORST shows I have ever seen. The music was fair but the singing was horrid! Halford was by far the best performance of the three, and he was the one I was least interested in seeing!