RAGE,SYMPHONY X, NIGHTWISH and etc..

I'm a bit bummed after all the heavy talk about Stratovarius and Iced Earth. I thought for sure at least one of them would have been on the bill. Oh well. I going to the Wacken Open air in Germany this year-- Stratovarius, Running Wild, Slayer, Soilwork, In Flames, Iced Earth... at least I'm not 'doubling up' on too many bands.

I agree that last year's line-up was better... But come on!! Give Glenn a break!!
It is almost impossible to top last year's line-up... I mean, he got all the top bands...

Prog Power IV is going to be awesome!

well i will only say this once..
i am going to see evergrey, rage and nightwish...
i have seen all 3 before.
Sym x is good but i have seen them live twice already.

the other 6 bands honestly are ok .. but do nothing for me.
its a good lineup and i know its hard but for me last years line up was much better.

and mercenary well at least they have cool music. but soilwork would have been a cooler choice for this style of vox IMO

It's Just Frustrating Not To See Bands Like Helloween, Stratovarius,and Etc...
This Year Lineup I Have Seen Most Of The Bands Live...symphony X I Think Everybody Have Seen Them Live!! I'll Be Off To Germany..later Dudes!!

I agree - this could be the worst PP line up yet.

PP2 was better than this.

Sorry - but this is weak. I know some people will like this lineup, but not me.

Am I complaining? yes. It's because I raised my hopes. My fault I know.

metal71 said:
I'm a bit bummed after all the heavy talk about Stratovarius and Iced Earth. I thought for sure at least one of them would have been on the bill. Oh well. I going to the Wacken Open air in Germany this year-- Stratovarius, Running Wild, Slayer, Soilwork, In Flames, Iced Earth... at least I'm not 'doubling up' on too many bands.

I guarantee you that Glenn talked with Stratovarius and Iced Earth both.

If they aren't on the bill, it's because they wanted way too much money.

This is still a small (albeit growing) festival for a small (albeit growing) North American audience. ProgPowerUSA is the best festival of it's kind in the USA, hands down.

The bands that have played and ill will be playing, are all bands that know realize this point and also realize that their participation, maybe for a bit less cash than they might want, will do nothing but strengthen the fanbase and help the North American metal scene.

Those bands that still think they need to get paid the same money that they would for a big festival in Europe, needs to get in touch with the scene a bit more. They only end up hurting themselves and deprive fans and potential fans.

I think this years line-up is just as solid as last years. The curve balls Glenn has thrown in are kick-ass ones too.

zilla

LucioArgento said:
I agree - this could be the worst PP line up yet.

PP2 was better than this.

Sorry - but this is weak. I know some people will like this lineup, but not me.

Am I complaining? yes. It's because I raised my hopes. My fault I know.

Weak? I don't think so.

Are you bummed because the Prog outweighs the Power this around? As I recall, a bunch of people were pissed because the Power outweighed the Prog last year.

There is no pleasing everybody, but to call this line-up weak is silly.

Zilla

Well Glenn Should At Least Consider Paying A Little More For At Least A Couple Of Bands That Would Be Worth Flying Or Driving To See Like Helloween And Stratovarius...or Even Masterplan I Would Be Happy!!

Later

Hey, it has already been made clear that it would be impossible to top last year's lineup. However, I think Glenn did a great job considering the incredible show he put on last year. Biggest shock for me is that Vanden Plas is playing. I didn't know whether or not any hard feelings still existed between Glenn and the band after they backed out 2 weeks before PP 2. I am really glad they are finally coming to the states to play. And Holy Shit, Nightwish and Seceret Sphere!!! Are u kidding me!!!

The only bummer for me is Rage closing the festival. I'm not saying they aren't a good band, but I never got into them and I don't own any of their albums. Last year was Gamma Ray and then Angra. This year... Anyway, would Nightwish have closed the show on Saturday if it wasn't for the fact that they apparently have to leave early? This sucks since it seems like it is exactly what happened to BG last year. I hope I get a chance to meet the band as I did not meet any of the guys in BG last year.

And Symphony X headlining? Tight. I have seen them so many times and am gonna see them headline this Friday at Lamour. Definitely can't beat last year as headlining quality is concerned. However, that is made up for in Circle to Circle, Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas, Evergrey, and Secret Sphere. In my opinion, Nightwish and Vanden Plas should be headlining.

I agree, last years lineup was 500 times better, but that's NOT why I'm disappointed.

I'm disappointed because I see 1 band, MAYBE 2, that are even worth listening to on this bill. I've seen Symphony X live before, so I don't care to see them again, and I've heard a little Evergrey, and they are pretty cool, but not worth driving allt he way to Atlanta for.

Sorry, but this years lineup is a huge disappointment to me, and all my friends that were planning on going. Check out my post if you want, because I went a little more in-depth into my opinions there.

legalman20 said:
Well Glenn Should At Least Consider Paying A Little More For At Least A Couple Of Bands That Would Be Worth Flying Or Driving To See Like Helloween And Stratovarius...or Even Masterplan I Would Be Happy!!

Later

Maybe next year you should consider being a sponsor and throw some cash in to get one of those bands on the bill.

And I'm sure it's not a matter of a "little more". I'm sure that the gap was too wide for any of those bands to be possible. Excpet maybe Masterplan, but I wouldn't exactly consider them headliners, yet.

Zilla

You know, the more I look at this lineup, the more I like it. I expected a couple higher profile bands to compete with last year's lineup, but overall, there are probably more total bands on the bill that I am interested in seeing, just none as much as Gamma Ray or Blind Guardian.

Incidentally, for those more into the power than prog, check out these bands:

Stratovarius
Soilwork
Slayer
Sinner
Running Wild
Rage
Primal Fear
Masterplan
In Flames
Iced Earth
Gamma Ray

These are just a few of the early confirmations for Wacken this summer. So it's cool, I'll get my prog in Atlanta, and my POWER in Germany!

See you at Earthlink.

At first glance I too am a bit disappointed, but that is mostly because I don't know many of the bands. I've never heard much from Rage, Pagan's Mind, Evergrey or Vandan Plas, and nothing from Redemption or Mercenary.

I like Secret Sphere, but they haven't blown me away in the things I've heard. Symphony X, however, are awesome. I'm a big Nightwish fan, and a HUGE Savatage fan that is really looking forward to Circle II Circle.

The question is: Is this lineup enough to get me to spend the $600 plus to fly from Philly? I don't know. I'll reserve that after I listen to some things from the bands.

Still, expectations were very high. I think I'd have no problems, if Rage wasn't headlining. Take them out and put in Strat or Kamelot or Iced Earth, and I'd be coming down no matter what. Sonata Arctica or Dragonforce would have made me a lot happier, but I still would have been happy to buy a ticket. Again, I'll reserve judgement for now.

One more thing: I'm not critisizing. As Nightwish58 and others (including me) have said, topping last year's lineup was not going to happen. From all I have read, Glenn is still the most honorable and forthright promoter I've ever seen, and I highly respect what he has done.

Steve

my only complaint is that this is the 3rd time for both Symphony x and Evergrey playing the fest. Don't get me wrong I love both bands but would like to see 2 that have never played before. Still a great line up and I'm super excited to see Secret Sphere, maybe my favorite power metal band (well they are kind of prog too). Thanks Glenn for putting on another great show, sorry about the complaint.

PowerFreak said:
Maybe next year you should consider being a sponsor and throw some cash in to get one of those bands on the bill.

And I'm sure it's not a matter of a "little more". I'm sure that the gap was too wide for any of those bands to be possible. Excpet maybe Masterplan, but I wouldn't exactly consider them headliners, yet.

Zilla

YOU THINK BLIND GUARDIAN AND GAMMA RAY WAS CHEAPER THAN HELLOWEEN AND STRATOVARIUS ???
IF YOU THINK ABOUT WE ARE PAYING FOR THE BEST BANDS!! 80 DOLLARS IS NOT SO CHEAP!!
IF HE GOT THESE BANDS LAST YEAR WITH THE SAME PRICE WHY NOT GET THE SAME QUALITY THIS TIME AROUND!!
THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!

LATER

Iv never been to the festival before but Iv seen what you guys had last year. I would have killed to get a ticket and be there. But unfortunally I wouldnt be able to go even if I could afford the tickets and transportation. Although I will keep my optimism up for this years group and Im sure they will put on a good show either way.

And I dont think its quite fair for everyone to compare this years show to a previous year. This show is exciting for different people and everyone knows that last years was awesome. But hey, its either you are coming or you arent coming. Thats the real deal. Im sure Glenn tried his hardest to get the best line up he could to top off last years line up. So you should at least give the credits to him for trying. I mean its just like a band and albums, not every album is going to blow away the last. There are going to be ups and downs, but eventually they will keep hitting it on the mark.

How do you know that Glenn paid BG and GR their typical asking price to book them? It would not suprise me in the least that these bands took less than they usually get to play this festival because they knew this was the best way for them to get to play a show in the US that would come close to approaching the type of show they get in Europe or Japan. Maybe Helloween and Stratovarius didn't feel this way and demanded their full price. Maybe they have other plans during that time period, I know Helloween is working on a new album, with possibly the only name they could come up with thats gayer than Pink Bubbles Go Ape (Rabbit something or other). Maybe Timo Tolkki decided there were too many mp3 downloaders in America and since mp3 downloaders can't be fans of Stratovarius then they don't have enough fans to warrant playing over here. Make sure you have the full story before you go about casting stones.

Jim in DC

legalman20 said:
YOU THINK BLIND GUARDIAN AND GAMMA RAY WAS CHEAPER THAN HELLOWEEN AND STRATOVARIUS ???
IF YOU THINK ABOUT WE ARE PAYING FOR THE BEST BANDS!! 80 DOLLARS IS NOT SO CHEAP!!
IF HE GOT THESE BANDS LAST YEAR WITH THE SAME PRICE WHY NOT GET THE SAME QUALITY THIS TIME AROUND!!
THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!

LATER