Staying downtown a reasonable option for PPUSA?

SF Metal Man

Jan 17, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
I've been looking at hotels in Atlanta for ProgPower and it seems that you can get a good hotel downtown for about half the price of staying midtown. Obviously I would prefer to stay walking distance to the venue, but saving a couple hundred dollars on a hotel is a huge deal for me. My question is whether this is a reasonable option? Does MARTA run late enough that I won't need to leave the show early? This would be a blind buy through Hotwire - so are all the downtown 4 star hotels (probably the Westin Peachtree, Hyatt, Hilton or Sheraton) within a short safe walk of a MARTA station? Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at hotels in Atlanta for ProgPower and it seems that you can get a good hotel downtown for about half the price of staying midtown. Obviously I would prefer to stay walking distance to the venue, but saving a couple hundred dollars on a hotel is a huge deal for me. My question is whether this is a reasonable option? Does MARTA run late enough that I won't need to leave the show early? This would be a blind buy through Hotwire - so are all the downtown 4 star hotels (probably the Westin Peachtree, Hyatt, Hilton or Sheraton) within a short safe walk of a MARTA station? Thanks in advance.

My experience with past progpowers is that the Marta typically doesn't run late enough after the headliners, so you'd probably have to cab it.

Any idea what a cab would cost?

Entirely depends on where you're located. I know the first year I came, I was stupid and picked the Holiday Inn Express near the Olympic area/Braves stadium. It cost me close to 20 to get back. Last few times I've been 30 minutes in walking distance, so I dunno...

Any idea what a cab would cost?

Atlanta Checker Cab Company services Midtown Atlanta. We suggest adding 404-351-1111 to your cell phone. Taxi service is regulated by the city. Destinations are at the meter rate of $2.50 for the first 1/8 mile and $0.25 each additional mile, and $2 for each additional passenger. Cash and credit cards accepted. Details

On Fri and Sat night, MARTA rail is not an option back to Downtown. You would have to call a cab.

Perhaps use MapQuest Directions once you know which hotel you'll be at to determine distance between venue and hotel and calculate accordingly.

Venue address: 1374 West Peachtree Street Northwest Atlanta, GA 30309

Use this map to help you visualize

Depending on the hotel, yes, MARTA has 2 locations in Downtown: Civic Center and Peachtree Center. Getting to the venue each afternoon would be a breeze via MARTA.

IMO, if you're going to save a couple hundred dollars on a hotel in Downtown, do it! You can still take MARTA from the airport to your hotel. I would budget around $40 for 2 cab rides back to the hotel on Fri and Sat night.

197358_10150116410152943_6988548_n.jpg

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go the downtown hotel route. I found a website that estimated cab fare from the Arts Center to Peachtree Center at around $9.00, so even it it was double that it would still make financial sense.

last year everywhere I took a cab was $10.00 flate rate or $12.00 with two people? Or was I just a tool that got took :loco:

Bear

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go the downtown hotel route. I found a website that estimated cab fare from the Arts Center to Peachtree Center at around $9.00, so even it it was double that it would still make financial sense.

I am taking the same path(downtown).... We can share the cab

which hotel you reserved?

IMO, if you're going to save a couple hundred dollars on a hotel in Downtown, do it! You can still take MARTA from the airport to your hotel. I would budget around $40 for 2 cab rides back to the hotel on Fri and Sat night.

Or just party at the Artmore til dawn. :)