The mosh pit debate.....

I didnt even know Moshing was allowed at Prog Power. When I was younger I loved to get in the mosh pit but that is reserved really for bands like Slayer,Overkill,Testament,Anthrax,etc... Thrash. Therion does have some songs that are real heavy . Moshing doesnt bother me when it is a circle and people mosh in the circle. Most mosh pits today from what i see is just idiots pushing into each other and knocking people that dont want to even be bothered. I always figured nobody moshed at ProgPower because it was an older crowd. Moshing to Therion is understandable as is Symphorce. Moshing for Stratovarius though doesnt make sence, moshing doesnt fit their music.

JosephAcevedo said:
I know there are alot of you that either hate it or don't care for it. I heard this after the event of a mosh pit breaking out during Rage i believe at a pervious PP.

Preface: I'm not targetting this at anyone in particular, so don't go getting all offended at me. :)

To me, it's very simple. I go to a concert, parting with MY hard-earned cash (not Daddy's) to Watch The Band. I thought that's why everyone goes, but I'm apparently wrong. I guess some people go to slam into each other, fight, wrestle, box, or otherwise rub against each others' (usually all male) bodies in a.....how did someone else put it....homoerotic fashion.

It's not possible to watch the band while moshing. I've watched moshers, and as best as I can tell, they missed the entire show. C'est la vie....their loss, not my problem.

And whether you're in, near or even *nowhere* near the mosh pit, it's very distracting to anyone actually trying to Watch The Band, so I'm against it period, since...silly me...I DO go to concerts to Watch The Band.

Also, no matter how "careful" the moshers may be (seems like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it?), you WILL bump into other non-moshers at some point, especially if you're towards the edge of the pit. If you're a non-mosher near a mosh pit, you WILL be COMPLETELY distracted by feeling like you have to constantly watch for some mosher who's out of control and comes flying out of the mosh pit, knocking you and/or your drink over.

I was at a show years ago at the Bayou in DC (early '90s?), and some people started a mosh pit (first I'd ever seen). I was well away from it, to the left of the stage, but this one idiot came out of his way to slam into me. Twice. He obviously thought it was cool.

He obviously *didn't* think it was cool when he tried to slam into me the third time and I put him flat on his ass (he actually seemed offended as he looked up from the floor). But he didn't come within 10' of me after that. Good. I guess I made my point. I'm more than willing/able to make that point again.

But honestly, if moshing became commonplace at PP (a la the Rage set), I'd probably stop going, so kudos to Glenn for keeping the festival about The Bands, The Music, and The Show. As it should be.

Cheers,

Craig

LOL That reminds me of a story:

Last November, I was at Gwar, standing at the edge of the pit (about 3-4 rows back). This chick behind me kept "accidently" trying to push me into the pit. Her boyfriend kept "accidently" shoving her in (right into me). In all honesty, I didn't really "look" like I belonged there. As I was dressed for a friends birthday party. Skirt, fishnets, my normal.

Anyway I told this chick to knock it off. It was obvious she was trying to start something. So she did it again with an "oops" look on her face. Um, yeah the railing behind your boyfriend pushed you for the 15th time, right? I told her one more and she was going into the pit. So she took her arms and pushed me forward as hard as she could. I was quick enough to grab her arm from my back, yanked her from her boyfriends arms, parted the few rows in front of me and threw her to do the dogs.

I'm fine with moshing when *I* feel like it. Sorry, honey you ain't tough by pushing me into the pit pseduo-protection from your boyfriend isn't going to help you either.

Not that this really had anything to do with anything. Just a story is all.

-Metal

I remember reading on this forum before that someone blamed death/black metal fans for the mosh pit for Rage.

he said something like ::quote :: " The mosh pits were the only thing that sucked this year at progpower during Rage. I should have known better when I saw people in line with Deicide shirts before the show. I can't believe death/black metal fans would even buy a ticket to see nightwish. I hope for next progpower that there more straight up prog bands and weaker power metal bands to spare me the Dying fetus show goer's! "

Don't know if that is exactly what he said word for word but thats the best I recall. pretty stupid i think to blame death/black metal fans for a moshpit. weather or not you like the same metal genre as another metal fan you should be respectful to them. afterall they are metal fans just like you and are at a show to enjoy it like yourself.

longshot9 said:
Into Eternity.

I could see it with them.....but I still said that knowing about Into Eternity. Moshing started with Hardcore music because hardcore is GROOVE oriented. I don't really see enough of that with the Prog-Power bands to think "moshpit." I don't mosh anyway, but just my thoughts. Obviously there are people who DO think those bands are mosh-worthy though. Especially Stratovarius. :loco:

In my opinion, there has not been a single band that has ever played Prog-Power that warrants a pit.

I'd say Mercenary is also mosh-worthy.

Also, at Powerfest 2004, a few of us started moshing to Ion Vein. Just out of comedic fun, of course. :lol:

Now, now kids! If the two of you keep this up, there will be another pit @ PPVII! :p

But seriously, I'm totally against moshing and assholes, like the one previously metioned below, at Prog Power for pretty much every reason stated before!
There was a stupid fucker during Manticora who was pissing everybody off, and I considered doing something until I saw a guy take a more direct route and kick him in the kneecap when the lights were off between songs.
Respect the other concert goers! Respect Glenn! If you feel the need to do it, take it to a Cookie Monster show or elsewhere! 'Nuff said.

Harvester said:
You can bitch, whine, moan, beg, and call me every name in the book. It will not change a damn thing. I am not Clear Corporate Channel. I do not own Earthlink Live or those damn unlighted stairs. Glenn H.

I personally...... am not your friend. I like you somewhat from what little dealings I have had personally, but I respect the rules you set forth as long as I consider them reasonable. "No moshing" is quite reasonable. I don't mosh at your shows.
However.... I also don't videotape the PP events, so I consider the new "no digital camera rule" a problem. Maybe I am getting off-topic, but I don't care........ Increase the price by ten dollars for admission if you wish for more security, but don't punish Peter for something Paul does/did. The event is more than watching bands perform and limiting the media format significantly ........ oh hell Glenn... we all party there and want to take pix without having to deal with changing film, editing etc.
I am not saying I won't go to your next show because of the fact you disallow digital cameras, but I think you need rethink yopur stance.

Bryant