The Official Seven Kingdoms Tour Diary

Atlanta was the best show on the tour. Thank you for an amazing night! It felt a hundred times more at home than Florida.

Wow, that set is very short compared to earlier in the tour.

In Chicago a few weeks back, it was obvious that Hansi has been fighting a cold. He still did a great job, but you could tell it was a bit of a struggle.

15 songs is pretty much what they've been playing the whole tour with the exception of a few dates with an extra song. In fact Chicago had 15 songs played also.

I guess I was the only one that thought that Hansi's voice was off.

I noticed it too. It wasn't bad at all, just a little off. I had a good time. For every song they played that I liked, they played one or two I didn't care about, but overall it was a great show. The Bard's Song singalong was a lot of fun. I was hoping for one or two more from Tales or Somewhere but oh well.

Camden, you guys rocked it. Your singer is very good. I've missed your other Atlanta shows but will try to catch it when you guys play here again.

I couldn't stand Holy Grail.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They had a lot of energy and enthusiasm, but I couldn't get into the singers voice, and I couldn't stand the way he kept calling for mosh pits.

Holy Grail weren't my FAVORITE band Saturday night (St. Pete), but man, were they fun to watch. They were like a huge jolt of caffeine....I absolutely loved the energy and passion (for METAAAAALLL!!!!) that the singer brought to the stage. Fun stuff.....a real throwback to the heavy metal/thrash I heard in high school back in the mid eighties.

I thought that dude's head was going to fall off and roll across the stage (Holy Grail). They were ok, I much prefered the power metal of Seven Kingdoms (although I wish I could have heard the background vocals). Well, heh I kind of did as when they were singing the song Seven Kingdoms this guy behind me was filling in all the background vocals that I saw the guitarists mouthing...lol. I'm glad to hear that Hansi probably had a cold or something. The guy I went with said he thought they sounded great, so maybe it's me. I have had a sinus infection and I had an earache yesterday morning. I do think all of the crowd singing was great, the last time I heard crowd participation like that was actually at a Weezer show in Atlanta, where the crowd sang most of every song from the Blue album and Pinkerton. It was very cool then and it was cool last night. Oh and the BG shirt I bought (Eternalized) is quite possibly one of the best looking shirts in my concert tee collection. I'll give BG another shot when they come back. I did love Hansi's stage banter and he genuinely seemed to love being there, but he's no Bruce Dickinson live.

I thought Seven Kingdoms sounded great, but I could not hear any background vocals.

Yep, they were almost completely absent in the mix.

Wow, that set is very short compared to earlier in the tour.

Not really. As others indicated, there are some long songs in there. They were scheduled to play from 9:45 to 11:30 (curfew is at 11:45) but they finished between 11:35 and 11:40.

In Chicago a few weeks back, it was obvious that Hansi has been fighting a cold. He still did a great job, but you could tell it was a bit of a struggle.

Outside the venue in the chill of December, we were talking with Marcus for quite a while. Hansi made a very brief appearance before being hustled onto the bus by their TM, which makes sense if he's been fighting a cold.

Harvester said:
Good crowd. 600-700?

At least. Tim thought it was closer to 800, and the show did 500+ pre-sale. As one guy said, "You know it's a big crowd when security is enforcing the fire-lanes [white lines on the floor] near the bar!"

The show was recorded on audio, but per Marcus they're recording every show on the tour. Gotta say, the Atlanta one would sound good crowd-wise!

Kudos to Hansi for giving Elric and author Michael Moorcock ("strange name, but good books!") a mention before launching into "Tanelorn." MM should be happy about that; I emailed him a few minutes ago and told him. :)

Outside the venue in the chill of December, we were talking with Marcus for quite a while. Hansi made a very brief appearance before being hustled onto the bus by their TM, which makes sense if he's been fighting a cold.

This happened in Rochester in 2002. I was out back after the show chatting with Thomen and Marcus for about 30 minutes, and poor Hansi, who looked sick as a dog, walked out seconds after I asked for a picture, stopped, took the shot, greeted me, politely excused himself and beat it to the bus.

In .. what was it, 2007? He came out and chatted with us in LA in the warmer months from behind a fence for a while. It just seems like traveling long distances in the cold and putting on such strenuous shows takes a lot out of the poor guy... and he STILL sounds amazing at the shows.

Kudos to Hansi for giving Elric and author Michael Moorcock ("strange name, but good books!") a mention before launching into "Tanelorn." MM should be happy about that; I emailed him a few minutes ago and told him

In LA this time around, he said something along the lines of "This is about one of my favorite Characters, "Elric"... *pause for cheering, but dead silence* ... who I guess isn't too popular in the USA yet..."

Hansi has had better nights on the tour. He was telling us that he's not used to the air conditioning, be it heat or cool. I guess it takes some of the humidity out of the air??? Donno.

Sucks for our backing vox, I guess that's what you get if you don't have you own catered to sound guy at every show. Hopefully we can afford one of those in the near future :)

Soooooooo North Carolina has a place called Biscuitville.....

It's pretty glorious.

If anyone cares, this is the setlist Edmonton got a couple weeks ago:

War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Welcome to Dying
Nightfall
Fly
Born in a Mourning Hall
Majesty
Bright Eyes
Lord of the Rings
Voice in the Dark
Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill)
And the Story Ends

Encores:
Wheel of Time
The Bard's Song (In the Forest)
Valhalla
Mirror, Mirror

The crowd was fucking crazy, they threw in Majesty as a bonus, I don't think they had intended to play it but people were calling for it and stomping hard enough to shake the stage after the first song. The band was pretty blown away

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They had a lot of energy and enthusiasm, but I couldn't get into the singers voice, and I couldn't stand the way he kept calling for mosh pits.

I felt like I was watching Motley Crue, circa 1981... just with less overall talent.

"WAAAHH WE ARE HOLY GRAIL FROM L FUCKIN A AND WE ARE HERE TO ROCK YOUR SOCKS ATLANTA! WAHHH!!"

"WHERE ARE THE VIKINGS?!? WAAHH!! AND MOSH PITS!! WAAHHH!! ATLANTA FANS ARE QUIETER THAN FLORIDA FANS WAAAHHH!!!"

But their lead guitarist was entertaining - got some good shots of him bending strings past the point of no return.

I felt like I was watching Motley Crue, circa 1981... just with less overall talent.

"WAAAHH WE ARE HOLY GRAIL FROM L FUCKIN A AND WE ARE HERE TO ROCK YOUR SOCKS ATLANTA! WAHHH!!"

"WHERE ARE THE VIKINGS?!? WAAHH!! AND MOSH PITS!! WAAHHH!! ATLANTA FANS ARE QUIETER THAN FLORIDA FANS WAAAHHH!!!"

But their lead guitarist was entertaining - got some good shots of him bending strings past the point of no return.

?????
You may not like them, but come on....I'd love to see Crue crap themselves trying to pull off some of the stuff Holy Grail does. Sure, they're a little cheesy, but it's FUN cheese.....what is metal without it? I wasn't that impressed when I first heard their cd, but I was completely sold on their performance.

?????
You may not like them, but come on....I'd love to see Crue crap themselves trying to pull off some of the stuff Holy Grail does.

My only beef was the inconsistency of the cheese.

Are they Viking Metal?
Do they want Mosh Pits?
Are they Speed/Thrash?

I gave props to their guitarist, who I thought was VERY talented.

It was just their all-consuming LA-ish-ness that got to me.

Metal Camden...you guys rocked in Asheville!! Thanks for a great show. Just a little dissappointed you all didn't get more songs in though. Next time.

BTW...Sabrina has an outstanding voice. My wife who is a complete "non-metalhead" loved her. Great show.

BTW...Sabrina has an outstanding voice. My wife who is a complete "non-metalhead" loved her. Great show.

She is also really cute. I swear she blushed and looked at the floor when I complimented her range after the show. SK does not write easy lyrics or music, and she pulled it off really well in Atlanta.

Let's hear it for Seven Kingdoms - the band with the "cute" front woman!

Hansi has had better nights on the tour. He was telling us that he's not used to the air conditioning, be it heat or cool. I guess it takes some of the humidity out of the air??? Donno.

Sucks for our backing vox, I guess that's what you get if you don't have you own catered to sound guy at every show. Hopefully we can afford one of those in the near future :)

Soooooooo North Carolina has a place called Biscuitville.....

It's pretty glorious.

I still dream of Biscuitville, and it's been more than a decade since I've lived in NC. So amazing.