Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force- Perpetual Flame (W/ Tim "Ripper" Owens)

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
I recently picked up this disc and have to say it is great! I have to say that Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals made this disc a must buy for me and I was not disappointed in the least. Ripper is right on target with the screams and high notes he is known and loved for but also some great mid range stuff. Yngwie as always is articulate and sometimes overbearing. And as with all of Malmsteens releases, the guitar is heavy in the mix (who can blame him). The only thing that gave me some pause is that the booklet had tons of pictures of Yngwie (with his guitar in 100 different poses and with his car) but not one picture of Tim Owens. I mean I realize its Yngwies band but Ripper really delivers on this CD and should have been given the respect of having his face photochopped somewhere in there.

I recently picked up this disc and have to say it is great! I have to say that Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals made this disc a must buy for me and I was not disappointed in the least. Ripper is right on target with the screams and high notes he is known and loved for but also some great mid range stuff. Yngwie as always is articulate and sometimes overbearing. And as with all of Malmsteens releases, the guitar is heavy in the mix (who can blame him). The only thing that gave me some pause is that the booklet had tons of pictures of Yngwie (with his guitar in 100 different poses and with his car) but not one picture of Tim Owens. I mean I realize its Yngwies band but Ripper really delivers on this CD and should have been given the respect of having his face photochopped somewhere in there.
I'll have my copy of this CD in hand later this week. Can't wait to hear it! Please play ATL ASAP, Yngwie!:worship:

I just can't bring myself to support Malmsteen any longer, Ripper or no Ripper. For those of you that haven't already, read the interview with Jon Oliva in this year's ProgPower program for a funny story about a meeting between Malmsteen and the great Criss Oliva. Criss gave Malmsteen some food for thought both off stage and on stage! :lol::headbang:

~Brian~

At first listen, the production is weak but the material is strong. I don't recall liking anything by Yngwie in quite a while. Perhaps Tim's presence inspired him? Who knows what goes on in his head?

Zod

EDIT: Worst cover ever?

PerpetualFlameCover.jpg

The only thing that gave me some pause is that the booklet had tons of pictures of Yngwie (with his guitar in 100 different poses and with his car) but not one picture of Tim Owens.

At least (I assume!) the booklet lists the names of the musicians!!!! Try finding the name of any of the performers in the original booklet from "Facing the Animal". It was like a year before I found out who Mats Leven even was...... :Smug:

I just can't bring myself to support Malmsteen any longer, Ripper or no Ripper. For those of you that haven't already, read the interview with Jon Oliva in this year's ProgPower program for a funny story about a meeting between Malmsteen and the great Criss Oliva. Criss gave Malmsteen some food for thought both off stage and on stage! :lol::headbang:

~Brian~

Isn't listening or buying an album supposed to be about the music though? You're taking about something that happened 14 years ago and is total hearsay (it could have possibly not happened)! Why even care about peoples personal lives as long as the music is good. If I went about it that way I wouldn't like or buy Black Sabbath, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius etc. Don't hinge your musical decision on hearsay, you're just going to run into problems.

PLEASE tell me that's not the actual album cover???

oh yeah, that is the cover....I was comparing all the Yngwie covers last night in my iTunes and just about every damn one of them is him holding a guitar, a few are his face and there may be 1 or 2 that are actual real covers but most are this pretty same pose holding the guitar. Funny thing is about half of them have him, a guitar and fire involved some where on the cover...:loco:

Isn't listening or buying an album supposed to be about the music though? You're taking about something that happened 14 years ago and is total hearsay (it could have possibly not happened)! Why even care about peoples personal lives as long as the music is good. If I went about it that way I wouldn't like or buy Black Sabbath, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius etc. Don't hinge your musical decision on hearsay, you're just going to run into problems.

It makes sense to me. Its like when people boycott a business. For example, if I met a band and that band acts like a bunch freakin assholes to anyone, Im not gonna support them either. Whether I like the music or not, they just lost my respect and support.

Granted that would be a personal experience between me and a band--but still close to the same scenario. If you lose the respect of someone for any reason and don't feel like supporting them, you shouldn't have to.

and that cover is retarded. I haven't heard a single thing off of it yet, but Im sure my lead guitarist will be blasting it as soon as he gets a hold of it.

That is the same cover that is on the tour shirt. I know because I bought one last Friday in Vegas.

Excellent show btw.

At first listen, the production is weak but the material is strong. I don't recall liking anything by Yngwie in quite a while. Perhaps Tim's presence inspired him? Who knows what goes on in his head?

Zod

EDIT: Worst cover ever?

PerpetualFlameCover.jpg

Agreed. I met Helloween and they were just assholes. Doesn't mean I'll never put on Better Than Raw, Keepers etc ever again.

So what if Yngwie had a bad day?