Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force- Perpetual Flame (W/ Tim "Ripper" Owens)

Isn't listening or buying an album supposed to be about the music though? You're taking about something that happened 14 years ago and is total hearsay (it could have possibly not happened)! Why even care about peoples personal lives as long as the music is good. If I went about it that way I wouldn't like or buy Black Sabbath, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius etc. Don't hinge your musical decision on hearsay, you're just going to run into problems.

Savage Pumpkin, I don't solely base my musical decisions on hearsay etc. With that said, I made up my mind about Yngwie after seeing him on his last tour with Doogie White fronting the band. You couldn't even hear Doogie sing, because of being drowned out by Malmsteen's wankery and his attitude! :lol: The dude is an ass, bottom line. The story about Criss was just a nice little tidbit of someone getting put in their place by a true legend. :worship:

~Brian~

On being the sole composer and the main focal point of his band's live shows:

"It's been the whole situation that I've created for myself. In that I am the songwriter and I produce the records, and once I go on the road I always bring the best guys that I can have. I let them have all the freedom they can have, all the attention they can get. On stage we do a lot of the songs that people know, there's a solo spot and I do some improvisations, it's not like a one-man show. It's just that when it comes to making the records, I basically do all of it."

On the accusation that he doesn't listen to any contemporary music:

"That's actually true, and that would actually include everything that's contemporary now and the last 25 years as well. Basically what it comes down to is that when you're that involved with creating music it's not something that you do for recreation. I have other hobbies. You only have that many hours in the day and I have a family, I like to do lots of other things. I work on cars and I drive race cars and I play tennis and lots of other things. It's not like I'm saying there's nothing good out there, it's just that if you get so consumed with creating something and you write a song and you write the lyrics and you're producing and arranging and touring, I don't have any interest in it. Plus when I was very very very young, the style that I decided on was formed then and it crystalised then, and I have no intention to go anywhere else with it. I found my way, my vision, and that's where I'm going. I think one of the reasons I'm still doing what I'm doing is because that's what I do. I don't follow trends and I don't mind what other people do. Having said that, I'm not saying it in an arrogant way, I don't mean it that way at all. It's not because I'm on some sort of high horse thinking that everything else is not good. But when I don't work on music then other things take my time."

Maybe Dougie isn't that powerful of a singer?

Savage Pumpkin, I don't solely base my musical decisions on hearsay etc. With that said, I made up my mind about Yngwie after seeing him on his last tour with Doogie White fronting the band. You couldn't even hear Doogie sing, because of being drowned out by Malmsteen's wankery and his attitude! :lol: The dude is an ass, bottom line. The story about Criss was just a nice little tidbit of someone getting put in their place by a true legend. :worship:

~Brian~

It makes sense to me. Its like when people boycott a business. For example, if I met a band and that band acts like a bunch freakin assholes to anyone, Im not gonna support them either. Whether I like the music or not, they just lost my respect and support.

Granted that would be a personal experience between me and a band--but still close to the same scenario. If you lose the respect of someone for any reason and don't feel like supporting them, you shouldn't have to.

and that cover is retarded. I haven't heard a single thing off of it yet, but Im sure my lead guitarist will be blasting it as soon as he gets a hold of it.

That makes sense. You had a 1st person encounter.

~Brian~

OK now that makes more sense. By your original response it seemed like anything you read or heard would inhibited your being a fan of the band. Good clarification and you get my respect back (not like you lost it!).

~Brian~

I saw him on that same tour at the tabernacle, I heard Mr. White fine and in my opinion that show was amazing.

I actually talked to all of the members of the band after words including Yngwie himself for a second.
He even signed my shirt I bought, my ticket, and gave me a pick (the other members of the band signed my shirt too, with the exception of Doogie who suddenly disappeared.)

I thought that he was pretty cool although he had to rush into the bus as soon as fans noticed that he was out and tried to swarm him.

OK now that makes more sense. By your original response it seemed like anything you read or heard would inhibited your being a fan of the band. Good clarification and you get my respect back (not like you lost it!).

Yeah, I'd be up the creek if I based all of my listening decisions on stuff that I read etc. Very rarely do I ever get turned off to a band, but when I do it's normally something that I see during a live setting. :kickass:

~Brian~

I saw him on that same tour at the tabernacle, I heard Mr. White fine and in my opinion that show was amazing.

I actually talked to all of the members of the band after words including Yngwie himself for a second.
He even signed my shirt I bought, my ticket, and gave me a pick (the other members of the band signed my shirt too, with the exception of Doogie who suddenly disappeared.)

I thought that he was pretty cool although he had to rush into the bus as soon as fans noticed that he was out and tried to swarm him.

Last tour for Yngwie with Doogie on vocals for Unleash the Fury in the ATL was at the Roxy not the Tabernacle. :rolleyes:

Very rarely do I ever get turned off to a band, but when I do it's normally something that I see during a live setting. :kickass:

~Brian~

I have seen this happen first hand. When we saw Joey from Manowar hand a little boy a tshirt with the devil and a half naked girl on it and said "everything you need to know about life is on that tshirt", I knew you would not be a Manowar fan. :lol: All of this was right after Joey downed a brew and was talking about going down on southern girls, etc. in front of this 6 yr old boy.

Back to Malmsteen......Say what you will, the dude can play and has put out some great material. He has always had great singers as well and Ripper not being the least of them. Agreed he comes off as an ass at times but the guy is doing something right obviously. I will buy this album to hear Ripper on it otherwise I would probably not. I have most of his stuff and he has been hit or miss with me over the past several albums. If I could play like that I would probably have the big head too. :lol:

At first listen, the production is weak but the material is strong. I don't recall liking anything by Yngwie in quite a while. Perhaps Tim's presence inspired him? Who knows what goes on in his head?

Zod

EDIT: Worst cover ever?

PerpetualFlameCover.jpg

Zod, I agree with you on all counts.

The production is worse than anything I've heard in years. I bought my CD tonight at Best Buy. I popped it into my car's CD player for listening on the way home. From the first track I thought something was wrong with my CD player -- like a channel was out or something.

So I ejected the disc and brought it home.

Tonight I'm listening to it with Denon components and B&W speakers -- a fine system for the kind of prog/power metal music I enjoy.

But Yngwie's CD still sounds like shit.

I think I can explain why.

Have you ever used an equalizer to create an inverted bell curve so that the highs and lows are enhanced? That's normally how I listen to music. I love it crisp. But I also love the low end. The middle is affected, but not too much because the trough of the bell doesn't drop to zero at any point.

However, let's say you have an 8-band equalizer and you take the middle four bands and you drop them almost to zero without increasing the two bands on the right or the two bands on the left. What you end up with is a tinny sound because the middle is gone. Plus, no real dynamics at either end.

What that affects mainly is the vocals (because the middle is where most vocals are mixed), although the entire listening experience is less enjoyable because it sounds, for lack of a better word, irritating.

That's precisely what's wrong with the new Yngwie CD. It's irritating. It sounds like he mixed it on a car's AM radio. The vocals sound like they were phoned in -- not in their content (Ripper probably hasn't sounded better). But in their tone. They're thin, distant, like Ripper is singing from the other end of a phone conversation.

And maybe that's a better way to explain it. Have you ever watched a TV show (or listened to some CDs that use this device) and you hear a phone conversation? Think of the opening to The Matrix. Or Pink Floyd's The Wall. Or Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime. The voice on the other end sounds tinny. And tiny. Detached and disembodied.

That's what Yngwie's new CD sounds like. Ripper is ripping. He's hitting high notes like you wouldn't believe (almost to excess). But the voice is 2-3 notches back from the music so it's, well, irritating.

Do you know what I mean?

I'd expect as much from Yngwie. Vocals always come second in his book. But his guitars suffer, too. Well, not his solos. They're pretty clear because they're in an upper register. But the rhythm tone sounds almost as bad as the vocals. There's no chunk to it. No substance. No growl. No roar.

So you get crisp drums, crisp solos...and a disembodied voice competing with AM radio-quality rhythm guitar tones.

Irritating.

I had high hopes for this CD. I love Ripper's voice. I thought the pairing of the two would be electrifying. Yngwie is playing with ferocity, igniting his fretboard (hence, the shitty album cover). Ripper is singing his heart out. But the end result is sad. It sounds like Yngwie intentionally mixed Ripper badly so that Ripper wouldn't show him up.

Anyway, that's what I think of the new Yngwie CD. For what it's worth.

Bill

That's precisely what's wrong with the new Yngwie CD. It's irritating. It sounds like he mixed it on a car's AM radio. The vocals sound like they were phoned in -- not in their content (Ripper probably hasn't sounded better). But in their tone. They're thin, distant, like Ripper is singing from the other end of a phone conversation.
Perfectly stated... I couldn't agree more. And the real shame of it is, this may be some of the finest material he's written in years.

Zod

Perfectly stated... I couldn't agree more. And the real shame of it is, this may be some of the finest material he's written in years.

Zod
Damn, I was really looking forward to this as being the CD where Yngwie comes back, so to speak. That was what I'd heard from advance reviews. Too bad shitty mixing has to spoil it. That said, I'll buy it anyway. I love to listen to him shred.

Taliwaker, your cover is waaaaay better! :lol::headbang:

To those unhappy with the production: how does this fare compared to "War to End All Wars", which I thought was also extremely poor in the production department? Is Yngwie at the controls again (still)?