Zero Hour for the Showcase thread!

I guess it depends on how you define "upgrade". If we're talking quality, than Zero Hour is an upgrade. If we're talking mass appeal, than obviously they wouldn't be.

Zod

Well, considering it's been moved to a larger venue, I would have to assume the goal is to attract more people. Nothing against Zero Hour, but I can think of a lot of other bands that would be more suited to inaugurating the showcase.

If we're talking quality, than Zero Hour is an upgrade.

Clearly, there are two different Zero Hours, and we've never seen the same one. :loco:

I don't dig them at all, so my opinion could be biased, but I thought their stage presence and lack of apparent "enthusiasm" (from what I watched--could've been different for the rest of their set) clearly delineated why they didn't deserve a higher spot. *shrug* JMO.

Shaye

Clearly, there are two different Zero Hours, and we've never seen the same one. :loco:

I don't dig them at all, so my opinion could be biased, but I thought their stage presence and lack of apparent "enthusiasm" (from what I watched--could've been different for the rest of their set) clearly delineated why they didn't deserve a higher spot. *shrug* JMO.

Shaye

Agreed. If Zero Hour did headline the Showcase, then it will be an early evening for me as I will be leaving...

That's OK, we've never seen the same Pain of Salvation either.:loco:

I can see where Zero Hour can come off that way. Clearly their brand of Metal isn't condusive to running around the stage like maniacs, ala Edguy. And if you're not familair with their music going into a show, it's hard to sink your teeth into them live. At the last ProgPower, I enjoyed watching them do what they do. However, I enjoyed last night's show much more, having had two months to sink my teeth into "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" (<---2006 Disc of the Year).

Zod

Freak Kitchen would definitely be an excellent choice to headline. I would love to see an extended set by those guys!
I would MUCH prefer to see Freak Kitchen again and maybe this time they might can bring some merchandise so we don;t have to pay the ridiculous shipping and handling prices from their website.

Definitely a matter of taste. I prefer Zero Hour over FK anyday, but it's all about the musical style, not the talent or showmanship. Though, I do agree, they shouldn't headline. Need more power than prog in the final band, IMO.

You can be talented all you want to be, but if your delivery is boring as hell then it is no good.

I can see where Zero Hour can come off that way. Clearly their brand of Metal isn't condusive to running around the stage like maniacs, ala Edguy. And if you're not familair with their music going into a show, it's hard to sink your teeth into them live. At the last ProgPower, I enjoyed watching them do what they do. However, I enjoyed last night's show much more, having had two months to sink my teeth into "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" (<---2006 Disc of the Year).

Zod
Couldn't agree more dude! I love ZH and I also love PoS!! Actually, I'm amazed at ZH's presence considering the complexity of the music. They are SO intense!!! And I also second the nomination for Specs being disk of the year! Additionally, I LOVE Circus Maximus and their set was one of my favorites this year, but it isn't like they run around either. I think it is the raw heaviness and complex rhythms that ZH spits out with ease that make it harder for the standard Euro-Power metal fan to sink their teeth into these guys. Funny you should mention Edguy... I found them to be excruciatingly boring! Great stage presence and great backing vox, but I do need more math in my metal. ;)

I'd love to see Freak Kitchen come back as well as ZH (as I never tire of these guys). Based on response and purely as a business decision, I would see Shane clearly putting FK as the headliner. The poll even had FK ahead of VD (who did nothing for me) and everyone else, so business-wise, I'd be ALL OVER FK!!! I know that ZH didn't do so well in that same poll, but I think they suffered from people being unfamiliar with 85% of their set. Being a die-hard fan, I loved their set anyhow, but people not so into them, would've needed more familiar, older material in their set to bridge the gap.

On the way home from band practice Saturday (after 240 miles of driving), I stop by their show in Baltimore. I had missed the first two songs, but came in during Falcon's Cry. It was a very intimate setting and it was an awesome show! Now that I'm familiar with the new album, I enjoyed that set WAY more than PP. Of course the sound wasn't as good there (wasn't bad either), but it is hard to compete with the system at PP! They covered a LOT of ToA material, a song off of AFM, most of the new album, and a few off of the EP! I think fans that come out on this tour are going to extremely happy with their set! Especially at Jaxx where they will get more time.

The bottom line is, based on the response the new album is getting, I think that if we were to repeat the exact PP performance over again, the show would be received that much better!

Could somebody post Zero Hour's setlist in this tour?
Set list spoiler below:

Eyes of Denial
Voice of Reason
Stratagem
Reflections
There for Me
The Temple Within (song from next release)
Face the Fear
Falcon's Cry
Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
Evidence of the Unseen

I think I'm missing something from "Towers".

Zod

Set list spoiler below:

Eyes of Denial
Voice of Reason
Stratagem
Reflections
There for Me
Face the Fear
Falcon's Cry
Evidence of the Unseen

Zod

Thank you bro, that was an amazing set! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Which is what surprises me so much about our disagreement on ZH... :) Apparently, you're almost as nuts about ZH as I am about PoS. That's okay, at least we're both nuts, so we have that in common.

Btw, tell your wife your body came up in conversation somehow Fri. night with 2 other chicks... lol

Shaye

Which is what surprises me so much about our disagreement on ZH... :) Apparently, you're almost as nuts about ZH as I am about PoS. That's okay, at least we're both nuts, so we have that in common.
LOL. It's bizarre how two people can love the same genre, and completely disagree on the bands within that genre.

Btw, tell your wife your body came up in conversation somehow Fri. night with 2 other chicks... lol
Hmmm... may I ask what the context of that conversation was?

Zod

Set list spoiler below:

They also played Demise and Vestige :headbang:

Eyes of Denial
Voice of Reason
Stratagem
Reflections
There for Me
Face the Fear
Falcon's Cry
Evidence of the Unseen

Zod

They also played Demise and Vestige :headbang:

LOL. It's bizarre how two people can love the same genre, and completely disagree on the bands within that genre.

Zod

Even more bizarre when you realize you happen to like both of these "completely different" bands, such as me with ZH and PoS.

By the way Zod, PoS rocks.

Shaye

Couldn't disagree more. Zero Hour had great stage presense last year. Plus, they were like the only truly progressive metal band at the festival. Nothing against power metal (I will be the first one to praise Rhapsody as one of my top 5 favorite bands), but I'd like to hear a couple bands on the PROG portion of the Prog Power bill once in awhile. I know the Progressive side of the scene is dying more every year, but Let's at least get a great band like Andromeda... or at least Eternity X or something. I remember years when we had kickass bands like Adagio and Wuthering Heights. Truly great Progressive Metal like Zero Hour is a dying breed. :cry:

The Michael

Couldn't disagree more. Zero Hour had great stage presense last year. Plus, they were like the only truly progressive metal band at the festival. Nothing against power metal (I will be the first one to praise Rhapsody as one of my top 5 favorite bands), but I'd like to hear a couple bands on the PROG portion of the Prog Power bill once in awhile. I know the Progressive side of the scene is dying more every year, but Let's at least get a great band like Andromeda... or at least Eternity X or something. I remember years when we had kickass bands like Adagio and Wuthering Heights. Truly great Progressive Metal like Zero Hour is a dying breed. :cry:

The Michael

Yeah, what he said.... :heh: