Diseases, Injuries, Illnesses

I actually used to have a job were you could book a massage slot and go and have that for like 20 minutes, paid time. You could only do that a couple of times a month though, but still it was cool. Some of them were nice girls, and you could pick who did it.
Shit man, never heard of that aside from places like google, sounds great. Wonder what it was like being one of the saggy old ladies working massage there and seeing how much more booked the hot ones were.

So, 2020... :eek: After I realised I was reacting to that shampoo, I also tried reducing my conditioner usage to very rarely. Then 2/3 of my hair fell out in a relatively short space of time (alopecia areata, in conjunction with my eczema being the worst it'd been in 6 years, as if my immune system was hyperactive).

My relationship is basically on hold as my girlfriend couldn't keep up the long distance thing, so the stress of figuring that out may've contributed to the hair loss. Our connection is too strong for the story to be over though. There's a good chance it'll get back to how it was once I move back in a year or so or whenever the hell I can.

I saw a dermatologist and am now on an immunosuppressant (methotrexate). A bit early to tell how well it's working. I'd noticed some of the hair from my arms and other body parts had gone missing as well, but it's all started growing back now, apart from one large bald spot on my head which is only just starting to fill in, and one small one which hasn't at all yet. Might post photos once there's more difference.
On the left is my hair at its worst at the end of September (photo kinda makes it look even worse than it was). On the right is my hair now, basically just the one small off-centre bald spot yet to fill in, but I think it will. Since it started growing back at different times, it's silly with hair at all different lengths, so feels good to be a consistent being now, ie. complete weirdness on both the inside and outside of my noggin.

hair comparison.jpg

Wish I could regrow hair that fast. I've had old-fashioned pattern baldness for like 15 years, and only started the rogaine / propecia a year ago. Can't expect much this late in the game, but I salvaged enough that I'm no longer considering shaving my head.

Update on my gut issue: not too worried about appendicitis at this point, probably just the worst constipation of my life. Been shitting 2-3 marbles a day on average. Doctor said to increase fluids, so I'm currently pounding beers and awaiting the hour when all holy hell breaks loose.

Reactions: SentinelSlain
Good that Rogaine/Propecia salvages something for someone. My Dad tried it once but didn't notice any difference, maybe it's gotten better or he didn't try it for long enough. I develop allergies way too easily to things I put on my skin so I hope I never need to try it.

I find milk helps keep my bowels moving, probably due to the lactose. Getting back into it kept my insomnia at bay for a while too.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
Poop chute remains compromised. Laxatives deployed. If battle is not won by evening, I'm ordering retreat to the ER.

My hearing, especially in my left ear, seems to be getting worse and worse lately. Constant burning sensation in the inner ear along with the intermittent sharp, shooting pain that's been happening for years. Right ear isn't as painful but the tinnitus is oddly significantly louder. New thing is this weird pulsing sensation which I'm more than a little concerned about. Going to have to have a few days of quiet movies with subtitles. Fuck I'm sick of this shit.

Last edited:
Damn man. You had ear infections or something? I'd think if it was too many concerts it'd just be the tinnitus. I guess worst case there's always painkillers and hearing aids.

Yeah I've had severe tinnitus and hyperacusis since late 2013. Definitely caused by not wearing ear plugs at gigs for years, and blasting metal at absurd volumes at home. I felt like it'd plateaued for a while there when I wasn't listening to as much metal (first few years I barely listened to any music) but it's been getting pretty bad again recently. Not much I can do about it other than avoid noise, unfortunately.

New thing is this weird pulsing sensation which I'm more than a little concerned about.
I just looked the pulsing thing up and learned it's called pulsatile tinnitus. I get it late at night when trying to wind down after concerts. Also if I'm just a bit sleep deprived in the evening where it's like part of my brain starts protesting. Seems it can be associated with some serious issues, but almost certainly not in my case given I only get it in those specific scenarios.

Usually the throbbing starts at about 4x faster than my heartbeat, and gradually slows down until I can eventually fall asleep. There's a click noise with it as well (similar to the normal crackling sorta sound when swallowing). Makes it a bit difficult to appreciate listening to music when the sound fades in and out slightly. Like you're an old fart in your rocking chair by the phonograph.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/23422-pulsatile-tinnitus
This is commonly blood pulsing faster than normal through a variety of veins and arteries located near your ears

I got what seems like a dental abscess from years of not caring for myself when I was a teen. I've been in pain for like 2 months, thinking it was something I could put off and still be okay, but it turned urgent last night as the pain got really serious and my face started to swell up. It's scary because there's a small but present chance this could turn into a medical emergency really fast.

On the bright side, the sudden worsening of my condition is forcing me to get into a dentist ASAP. I was honestly really scared, but I have no choice now. I can't wait until I'm not in pain anymore. I might lose a molar but it'll be worth it.

i've had a couple of fillings and a couple of teeth out in the past few months, sick of the place by now. nothing to be afraid of though. the thing to be afraid of is toothache or infections (and the prices if you're poor and don't have nationalised healthcare lol). my worst toothache was the worst pain i've ever experienced and i had to put up with it for a whole weekend 'cause i couldn't get an appointment 'til the monday. i was close to passing out from the pain at times, i had to swill warm salt water around my mouth every couple of minutes just to ease it slightly. i would highly recommend never letting it get that far. losing a molar or two isn't a big deal.

Abscesses taste like shit. I've jabbed a few with a needle and got the shit out of them. You can't always get it all in one jab and it's not advisable to swallow the shit but it's much better once you do get rid of it, swelling and pain goes down almost immediately.
Aspirin, or whatever over the counter pain pill directly on the tooth works for a while too, but it tastes worse than the abscess.
Best pain relief for sore teeth is Oil of Cloves. Usually available in a tiny bottle from the chemist/pharmacy. It's got to be the genuine stuff though not the pretend stuff many places sell an essential oil. Sometimes it can be bought from a hardware store too because it's great for killing mould spores.

I'm really scared about the taste, I'm worried about vomiting from it because I've had a lifelong fear of that. I doubt it'll make me sick though. As for OTCs, the most effective one you can get in the US would probably be naproxen, failing that, ibuprofen is the shit. Acetaminophen too, but that really only gets pain, not so much the swelling. Aspirin is bottom tier but will get the job done. Clove oil is good, as is benzocaine which is what I'm using.

It's not a good idea to drain it yourself, but I can imagine the relief.

It's not a good idea to drain it yourself, but I can imagine the relief.

You do what you gotta do when your a week from home and pushing deadlines.
Never had a dentist drain one of mine so I wouldn't know what it's like.

Oh yea I understand that. I've considered doing it myself too, against medical advice. It's so bad at times that the thought of my teeth being ripped out with pliers sounds pleasurable.