Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

Never read the manga. The first season was soooo good. The second was meh

They did not only dubbed naruto that bad, they also released, initially, the American censored version with the american openings and endings. Considering how big the naruto fandom.was at the time, they needed to rectify that. But it didn't go well and the series was canceled on TV and the DVDs do not sell very well.

In comparison, bleach has a better dub and DVD edition. But, I must say, companies in span do not take anime seriously, so dubs are usually shit.

This is why I download anime with English subtitles and buy UK.editions, so that I can have the original.language with decent subtitles.

By the way, the best page that I found to download anime with English subs is horriblesubs, they release all the new chapters a few hours after they're released on TV and their subtitles are good. They also have batches for old series and a wide catalog.

Some of the School Rumble second season episodes are laugh out loud funny. The War Games episodes are quite amusing, the episode where Harima ends up accidentally involved in the play, the episode where Harima pretends to be Suou in the baths is probably the hardest I've laughed at anything in anime. The best episodes of the second season are the ones that focus on Harima/Eri... a lot of the others seem to lack direction and the last 5/6 episodes are a total mess.

Reactions: eochaid
Why would anyone watch dubs? I ask the same when it's about TV shows or movies, but when it comes to animes, it's especially true, given cultural differences.

I've seen many dubbed vids on youtube from Dragon Ball, Yu GI Oh and Death Note, and they all sucked. Just terrible.

Might be iconic for you, but Son Goku can not act to save his life. His screams and growls are okay, manlier than the Japanese, but just unbearable when he talks.

And don't even get me started on Yu GI Oh. Atem's (Yugi) Japanese voice is fucking perfect, one of my favorite Japanese voiceovers with a unique and cool vibe. In the English dub he sounds like a 45 year old pedophile.

Just why watch it like that when you have the option to check out how it was intended to be? Also, so much emotion is lost in translation, you just can't rival the rawness of the Japanese.

In Hungarian, Death Note's dub for first season was actually 10/10, they hired a very famous actor to voice L, and while Yagami's VA was in literally (and I mean L I T E R A L L Y, this is not an exaggeration) every single anime, his cocky, punchable voice fit hm perfectly. Season 2 however was a fuckaroo. L was gone, new characters got cheap voice actors, and to add insult to injury, N had a female voice actress for a couple of episodes, then it was switched to a male one.... Jesus, at least if you fuck it up, go along with it, N's gender did not play any role in the story, so there was absolutely no need to ruin him even more.

Why would anyone watch dubs? I ask the same when it's about TV shows or movies, but when it comes to animes, it's especially true, given cultural differences.

I've seen many dubbed vids on youtube from Dragon Ball, Yu GI Oh and Death Note, and they all sucked. Just terrible.

Might be iconic for you, but Son Goku can not act to save his life. His screams and growls are okay, manlier than the Japanese, but just unbearable when he talks.

And don't even get me started on Yu GI Oh. Atem's (Yugi) Japanese voice is fucking perfect, one of my favorite Japanese voiceovers with a unique and cool vibe. In the English dub he sounds like a 45 year old pedophile.

Just why watch it like that when you have the option to check out how it was intended to be? Also, so much emotion is lost in translation, you just can't rival the rawness of the Japanese.

In Hungarian, Death Note's dub for first season was actually 10/10, they hired a very famous actor to voice L, and while Yagami's VA was in literally (and I mean L I T E R A L L Y, this is not an exaggeration) every single anime, his cocky, punchable voice fit hm perfectly. Season 2 however was a fuckaroo. L was gone, new characters got cheap voice actors, and to add insult to injury, N had a female voice actress for a couple of episodes, then it was switched to a male one.... Jesus, at least if you fuck it up, go along with it, N's gender did not play any role in the story, so there was absolutely no need to ruin him even more.

I 100% agree. There are some good dubs out there, but I would always watch subbed unless there was literally no other options. Japanese VAs just get how anime is supposed to be voiced. English VAs tend to ham it up too much and end up sounding ridiculous and childish. Anime is a legit art form in Japan, whereas many people in other countries see this stuff as "weird Japanese cartoons" and a lot of the dubbed VAs seem to take that attitude into the studio with them.

Death Note is pretty much the only anime I have liked along with Gravitation. As for dubs... I'd rather cut my head off with a rusty spoon.

Dragon ball is the only anime that i watch dubbed, to galician, since the dub, i considere, is pretty good. Anything else, anime, tv shows, movies (at home) I watch on their original language with subtitles.

Slave... attack.

Death Note is pretty shit.
It's quite possible it's just a troll attempt, but I think it merits a serious response, because you can occasionally hear some unironic Death Note bashing, so let's propose this message towards those.

First of all, Death Note is objectively a good anime, hell, I go as far to even call it a TV series, because the story and characters themselves could stand their ground in a TV adaptation - sadly, it's hard to imagine, since live action movies pretty much ruin any credibility, but hey, some people even enjoyed those, hah!

Now, that being sad, Death Note's biggest flaw is of course,it's popularity. Let's say you are an avid anime and manga follower, watching dozens of anime episodes weekly, finishing off mangas left and right, so basically you are an expert, but some people mocks you, because "watching cartoons is gay". Now, Death Note comes along, you are satisfied, what a great anime, you were already following it when it was just a manga, you discuss it with your weeb friends, and then the unimaginable happens... it takes off casually.

Suddenly even the cool guys know what Death Note is, hell, some of them have the fucking audacity to ask YOU if you've seen it. Oh boy, aren'T you fucking triggered? You knew about Death Note when it was just a fucking drawing, of course you know about it. But too late, everyone is talking about how awesome Death Note is, even the people who laughed at you for watching animes. This eternal turmoil gets the better of you and some of your weeb friends and you turn on it.

Well it's not that good - you say. Hell, it's actually painfully average!! You know at least 30 better animes, like haguchi michi juchi ola misi no wakage, an underground anime with only 4 episodes, and that's the shit, obviously. Mere casuals could not even comprehend it, because all they know is Dragon Ball, Pokémon and Death Note.

To add to that, even if you are not some weeb expert, hating on anything that's popular - and it should not come as a surprise to people on a board discussing music - is a form of being cool and edgy. It's not even a fake thing, you can legit feel disgusted by something just because it's popular. People are desperately try to be unique, in an attempt to avoid an existential crisis, and the easiest way for the brain to solve this is to simply not follow the mold. Breaking Bad? A fucking average TV show. Super Bowl? Who the fuck cares. Star Wars? Oh, the movie about Spock, right? Michael Jackson? Overrated. Death Note? Pretty shit.

I don't think there are many of us who has never ever been polluted by this mindset, even if we refuse to accept it.

Now, how good is Death Note overall? The first season is just beyond great in almost every aspect, especially the first half of it. Good character introductions, smart puzzles, compelling story telling and - to me - most importantly a not so obvious moral battle. Yagami Light has a bunch of very good points people fail to argue with. As cool as hell L is, it's absolutely not black and white in his favor. Then the story gets jingled, and basically the creators absolutely blast off with all of their cannons at once, so you are flabbergasted at every corner, and having a pretty hard time following what the fuck is going on. L is ultimately losing the battle against Yagami and his dirty, relentless moves/tricks, and the first season concludes.
Now, the second season is pretty shitty. Yagami becomes a black and white character, he is just a pure, idiotic madman, it's nigh impossible to sympathize with him, but the forces against him also feel extremely weak and cheap. N is an absolute disgrace, and the only saving grace of that season is Mello and his orthodox way. Season 2 has glaring plot holes, and the creators tried to be way too smart, which eventually came off as ridiculous. When you watch both seasons in one go, it's not that bad, Yagami's fall into brutal insanity (killing off his father, crippling his sister) is downright brutal, but the storytelling fell apart, everything is random.

Still, even if seaosn 2 was a standstill picture of Notorious BIG, it would not have taken away from the glory and impact of season 1. It's not how it works. You can give a 7 or a 6 to it as a whole, saying season 2 was just that bad, but the legacy of Death Note is undeniable.

I don't know about any other non-"fighter" animes which reached such wide-spread success. I know people who never ever touched an anime before, and probably never will, but I could make them watch Death Note, because it was both really good and accessible. It was not an anime for them, it was a drawn thriller story, which they liked, despite all the characteristics of an anime which usually scare casual watchers away, like the hour-long inner monologues. Hell, Death Note actually turned the latter in their favor, as these monologues were usually interesting, and not your usual say nothing in 50 sentences.

I tried peeking into some other adult-themed (dramas excluded now) anime, but honestly, they were extremely tedious. They completely lacked the magic, the balance Death Note could create. Hell, even on myanimelist, a site where no casual will ever set foot, Death Note is currently at the 42nd place, despite a.) it's below average second season b.) the obvious backlash for its enormous popularity from the hardcore anime fans. Only including TV series Death Note is 29th, while being 2nd by most favorited, and 1st by popularity.

Thus concluded, it is evident that Death Note is among the few animes which are objectively great, and while personal preferences can label it as shit, those remarks are sprung by the law of big numbers.

Last edited:
Yes. Death note is good. But, what's the best? And why? (I'm giving you the chance of a long speech, and I'm gonna read it) :tickled:

I wouldn't know, there are so many animes out there that the amount of what I watch is just the surface. If I had to pick one, I'd say Soul Eater, but you already saw it, plus I am highly subjective when it comes to it.

I'm also not finished with Attack On Titan yet, which is praised by basically everyone, so there's that too.

Clannad and Angel Beats are definitely up there. Clannad seems all the more real as I grow up, and Angel Beats is pretty fucking sad, even if you watch it till the end, it's not entirely a happy ending.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Soul Eater, but you already saw it, plus I am highly subjective when it comes to it.
It's on my list. Since I've read the manga I'm not in a hurry to watch it.

I'm also not finished with Attack On Titan yet, which is praised by basically everyone, so there's that too.
I don't like that show, but I like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, that is basically the same. So I don't know.

My pick is definitely Full Metal Alchemist, for many reasons.

Clannad/After Story wins out for me overall.

Special mentions to Death Note, FMA, Angel Beats! (should have had at least another 10 eps), School Rumble, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. Probably others too, but those ones come to mind as being series I could watch over and over.

Pretty much agree with your Death Note analysis Slave, although I will say I enjoyed the second season more watching it again recently.

I don't understand why the alternative ending chapter was never part of the DVD release, at least in Spain.

I have not seen outlaw star.

I don't understand why the alternative ending chapter was never part of the DVD release, at least in Spain.

I have not seen outlaw star.

Outlaw Star was one of the first animes I saw, back in the early '00. They used to show it on Cartoon Network, censored during the day and uncensored at night. Both times dub version. Outlaw Star has a really nice dub, but as with all my anime, I prefer the sub. Also, the opening is fantastic.

Pretty much agree with your Death Note analysis Slave, although I will say I enjoyed the second season more watching it again recently.
How come? I still have nightmares about that scene where N figures out there are two Death Notes, while staring at the christmas tree. In season 1 every little detail was explained in depth and it was like watching a chess match, and in season 2 people just knew stuff, for the sake of moving the plot forward.

There were great moments of course, like Mello's sacrifice, plus the tragedies I mentioned.

N was probably the single worst character I've seen in an anime. People were throwing tantrums after SW VII: TFA for Rey knowing everything so fast, but they need to sit down on their asses, and watch how this little brat operates. He gives no fucks, he does not concerned at all about anything, he solves everything while being in the same place (no epic moments like "I am L"), basically he was made smarter than L. Yes, in the very last episode he gives a shoutout to L and Mello, that is literally it.

Ahh... I kinda feel the opposite. At first watch, it was good, because on one hand, the fire of the first season was still burning in me, and on the other hand, arcs like the directorial board one was not that bad as a one-off, but lost absolutely every rewatch value. The only reason I watched seaosn 2 again during my DN rewatch session was to find out if N seriously just pulled that shit out of his ass in that episode I mentioned at the beginning. And he fucking did, god I want to die...

Edit: to be fair, the very last episode was pretty fucking good and sad at the same time.

Last edited:
How come? I still have nightmares about that scene where N figures out there are two Death Notes, while staring at the christmas tree. In season 1 every little detail was explained in depth and it was like watching a chess match, and in season 2 people just knew stuff, for the sake of moving the plot forward.

There were great moments of course, like Mello's sacrifice, plus the tragedies I mentioned.

N was probably the single worst character I've seen in an anime. People were throwing tantrums after SW VII: TFA for Rey knowing everything so fast, but they need to sit down on their asses, and watch how this little brat operates. He gives no fucks, he does not concerned at all about anything, he solves everything while being in the same place (no epic moments like "I am L"), basically he was made smarter than L. Yes, in the very last episode he gives a shoutout to L and Mello, that is literally it.

Ahh... I kinda feel the opposite. At first watch, it was good, because on one hand, the fire of the first season was still burning in me, and on the other hand, arcs like the directorial board one was not that bad as a one-off, but lost absolutely every rewatch value. The only reason I watched seaosn 2 again during my DN rewatch session was to find out if N seriously just pulled that shit out of his ass in that episode I mentioned at the beginning. And he fucking did, god I want to die...

Edit: to be fair, the very last episode was pretty fucking good and sad at the same time.

I don't really disagree with anything you say, but I remember watching it the first time around I was really pissed off. This time around I knew what was going to happen, so it didn't bug me as much. The writers definitely got a little too cute for their own good, but it wasn't a total disaster.

It would have actually been awesome if the series ended after the first season, with Light as victor.