Virgin Steele for PP Damnit!

YtseJammer said:
I disagree completely. This was four years ago and the "scene" has changed completely. They'd pack the same places they played back then.

Ex: Edguy couldn't have sold 25 tickets in NYC in 2001. Now, they damn near sell out an 800 person venue.

Same can be said for VS.

NYC crowds/shows are not indicative of how well a show might do in other cities. There is always going to be a market for virtually any show in NYC based on sheer numbers. If Stratovarius couldnt draw well in Chicago, a Virgin Steele turnout would be laughable.

YtseJammer said:
I disagree completely. This was four years ago and the "scene" has changed completely. They'd pack the same places they played back then.

Ex: Edguy couldn't have sold 25 tickets in NYC in 2001. Now, they damn near sell out an 800 person venue.

Same can be said for VS.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

The Edguy comparisson is not really a valid one. They have toured constantly, are getting constant press and label support. Virgin Steel hasn't.

I like the Virgin Steele song "The Last Rose of Summer" from "Life among the Ruins". Those high notes are insane, I thought it was a woman singing at first, when I learned otherwise it just made the song more interesting. Thats probably the only standout VS song for me. Check it out, you may like it.

nightwish58 said:
Isn't it about time this great band hits the PP stage as "the" Headliner? I would love to see them play in a PP setting. I have seen them a few times at various shitholes in New York and David is just an incredible musician; not to mention, he was a great guy to talk to as well. What do you guys think about VS for PP next year?

Headliner? No. Third band on Friday or Saturday? Maybe. I'm not a fan, but I think people would dig them.

Btw, my boyfriend's band Attacker has sold out several gigs in NYC, NJ and even Pittsburgh - hell, they even sold out in Germany and Holland - but that doesn't necessarily mean they should headline ProgPower USA. Doing well at home is one thing. Doing well at ProgPower is an entirely different animal. :)

~C

VS is easily a headliner. Seniority, extensive high quality catalogue, and miles and miles of talent. Those of you disagreeing may perhaps not be familar enough to understand their high pedigree. Please do yourself the favor and acquaint yourself with them. I mean this in a nice way and not at all in a belligerant way.

Before PP7 I was making fun of Freak Kitchen. Never heard of them and if I had, I wouldn't have been a fan. Now that I have seen them I am a fan and have bought their discs. The point is, seeing a band live makes all the difference. I have seen Virgin Steele and for all you Prog fans that are skeptical about this band, if you seen them live you would be hooked. The talent level with this band cannot be beat by anyone out there. As Glen said, "Child of Desolation" is simply an incredible song as is their whole catalog. This is just my opinion. I am a power fan, but VS stands out from the crowd. Headliner, no. 2-3 slot absolutely!

I must apologize to Glenn for the typo in his name in the above post.

Sorry Glenn!

Yes x 40. Criminally underrated band, David Defeis is a musical genius in my opinion. They would be worth the ticket price alone, headling or not, in my book.

Matt Crooks said:
Given that they don't draw more than 100 people when they *headline* outside of their homebase, they'd be a terrible choice as a headliner. I'm not commenting on the music, but from a business perspective they're just not going to draw anyone in the US.

Remember when I drove up to Jax to see them headline.
Everyone left after Division
and I am commenting on their music
any band that light a sword on fire during their show i generally put in the
:gee,time for me to get my food for the night" category

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
Remember when I drove up to Jax to see them headline.
Everyone left after Division

So, everyone left before VS even took the stage? Bunch of pussy-ass lamers at that show; how do you know if a band is going to be any good if you don't even stick around?

Personally, I definitely think they are headliner caliber, but I can't help thinking they'd suffer from the Rage Effect:

1) For a power metal band, they're not terribly popular here in the US (read: they're not trendy, euro happy metal);

2) Their back catalog is extensive, and makes it difficult for newbies to get into them;

3) They are likely seen by many newbies (who don't know any better) as being nothing more than primitive 80's metal, mostly because of how long they've been around and because of the comparisons to Manowar.

Thus, I'd rather see them play a #4 slot. While the place would likely empty out quite a bit if they played last, I think they'd impress most of the fence-sitters if they played fourth, and the people who don't like them won't be watching them anyway, no matter what slot they play.

You know what I find amusing about this thread? If you look back to when I announced a band like Freak Kitchen, the power fans were up in arms chanting "hell no." The progressive fans simply asked them to give them a chance live. From my estimation, they did and were won over based on comments after the festival.

It would appear it's a reverse situation in this thread. Would the "open-minded" progressive fans give a power metal band a fair shake in return? Or just be snobbish & narrow like Chris F5 based on perception instead of actual musical performance?

VS is one of my favorite bands. House of Atreus II is one of my favorite albums. I like their versatility. They can be very emotional, and then go into a faster harsh power sound. I think that this band would be very accepted at PP, and people would be saying it was one of their favorite performances.

Harvester said:
You know what I find amusing about this thread? If you look back to when I announced a band like Freak Kitchen, the power fans were up in arms chanting "hell no." The progressive fans simply asked them to give them a chance live. From my estimation, they did and were won over based on comments after the festival.

It would appear it's a reverse situation in this thread. Would the "open-minded" progressive fans give a power metal band a fair shake in return? Or just be snobbish & narrow like Chris F5 based on perception instead of actual musical performance?

I'd go ahead and openly call myself a fan of David DeFeis's work, but my word holds little to no cachet around here.

Then again, I just have to Cry For Pompeii.

Definitely a headliner and I'd definitely like to see them. I'd rather see them than a band that has already played PP two, three, or potentially four times. With Glenn finding it harder to find new bands to play the fest, Virgin Steele seems like an obvious choice from that perspective.

Projecting their draw to a local club in Virginia to be the same as it would at the ProgPower festival is a joke.