Virgin Steele for PP Damnit!

I think the lack of support has more to do with the idea of them being a headliner. I enjoy some of Virgin Steele's material and would enjoy seeing them at Progpower. Just not as a headliner.

There are lots of bands out there with a long history and lots of material. Paragon comes to mind. That doesn't necessarily entitle them to 90+ minutes.

Harvester said:
Ascension proved that with the Nevermore threads last time.

Apparently, I have reached legendary status...mom said I would make it one day.

Harvester said:
The second rule of thumb is that power fans far outweigh prog fans when it comes to this festival. However, it is the prog fans that dominate this forum so that screws with perception. That fucked my reality last year and it resulted in the first show not sold out in four years.

It must be the odd timing signatures, weird song structures, & brain twisting lyrical content. Yeah that'll fuck up about anything...lol. "Complex music played by complicated people" to quote Geoff Tate.

adaher said:
I think the lack of support has more to do with the idea of them being a headliner. I enjoy some of Virgin Steele's material and would enjoy seeing them at Progpower. Just not as a headliner.

There are lots of bands out there with a long history and lots of material. Paragon comes to mind. That doesn't necessarily entitle them to 90+ minutes.

Same thing with Pretty Maids
I would love to see that band
but the Rage effect would hit again if they headlined

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Those of you not familiar with Virgin Steele, I would suggest checking out: Age of Consent, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt. 2 and House of Atreus Act I

Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy parts of the albums you mentioned, but I think The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 and Invictus represent the best this band has to offer in terms of the quality and consistency of the songs.

Jason

yeah, but Defeis is so full of himself, i really dont believe he would do it. I have everything VS has done, even their first release on vinyl. they are a thinking mans Manowar, but given their EXTENSIVE back catalogue (like RAGE at PP3) i think with newbies it'd be a tough sell. Maybe we can make VS cookies and have a cookie drive to raise money for him to come...

DAVETHEMETALGUY said:
yeah, but Defeis is so full of himself, i really dont believe he would do it. I have everything VS has done, even their first release on vinyl. they are a thinking mans Manowar, but given their EXTENSIVE back catalogue (like RAGE at PP3) i think with newbies it'd be a tough sell. Maybe we can make VS cookies and have a cookie drive to raise money for him to come...
Rage was PP4

I can't believe that there was more support for Lordi at PP than Virgin Steele in this thread ;p

Harvester said:
For those newbies that may not have heard Virgin Steele, think of them as an intelligent Manowar. Yes, that's an oxymoron, but it is the truth. Check out their myspace page and listen to "Child of Desolation." That is an *awesome* tune and I've hooked many new people on them with that song. I dare you to try and hit that note he nails at the 2:18 mark.

One of the best tracks in their catalog! :headbang:

Dark One said:
Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy parts of the albums you mentioned, but I think The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 and Invictus represent the best this band has to offer in terms of the quality and consistency of the songs.

Jason

Actually I can say with any certainty what my favourites are. Lately I've actually been enjoying Guardians of the Flame and Noble Savage quite a bit. Every time I order a new Virgin Steele CD it always temporarily becomes my favourite for the next 2 weeks :tickled:.

Harvester said:
You know what I find amusing about this thread? If you look back to when I announced a band like Freak Kitchen, the power fans were up in arms chanting "hell no." The progressive fans simply asked them to give them a chance live. From my estimation, they did and were won over based on comments after the festival.

It would appear it's a reverse situation in this thread. Would the "open-minded" progressive fans give a power metal band a fair shake in return? Or just be snobbish & narrow like Chris F5 based on perception instead of actual musical performance?

I would definately check them out, and who knows, I might even like them live better than what I heard on cd/mp3. If I can stomach a handful of PoS tunes each time they've played, I could EASILY give VS a fair shake.
Then again, I am both a power AND a prog fan.....

J-Dubya

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
Oh,and if they headline,there will be more people at the Cheetah Club than the Center Stage,guarenteed

Whatever dude. Didn't know if you're good at "predicting the future too."

Enjoy Cheetah's, anyways. There's better things to do at ProgPower. In fact, I noticed you talk A LOT about Cheetah's. It makes me think about possible reasons, but I'd rather keep them to myself...

Bring Virgin Steele, Glenn. I'm just starting to get into them and it's a hell of a good band!

Harvester said:
Just to chime in on the business side of things.....

If you worry about "insulting" a band with placement because of ego or perceived "deserving", then you can hang up your promoter cap now. It just doesn't work that way except in an obvious situation like Nightwish or BG (past references). I think your biasness towards the bands keeps you from accepting this. You rode my ass about Vision Divine in a #2 slot and it worked out just fine and they were happy as hell before and after.

Bear in mind that I say that while calling myself a VS fan.

That's why I'm a fan and you are the promoter:D

AngraRULES said:
Enjoy Cheetah's, anyways. There's better things to do at ProgPower. In fact, I noticed you talk A LOT about Cheetah's. It makes me think about possible reasons, but I'd rather keep them to myself...

Aw come on! If it was me, you'd let em' loose! :heh:

J-Dubya

Harvester said:
The first rule of thumb in this forum is that a single negative voice can make more noise than ten positive voices.

That's really the rule of the world we live in today. The extremists, fanatics, bigots, and bullies who speak the loudest and who demean anyone who would try to reason with them get all the attention. Even if they are the minority - it's their way or no way.

They wouldn't be heard if the media wasn't so obsessed with the drama of their message. But news today isn't focused on the facts, it's about ratings and advertising revenue. It's big business compared to Walter Cronkite's heyday. The more dramatic and sensational the newscast, the more people who will watch, and the more reason for advertisers to buy air time with that media outlet. Add in the competitive nature of business and you have media outlets competing to deliver the most sensational views of the news solely to feed their bottom line. Sick. :ill:

Harvester said:
The second rule of thumb is that power fans far outweigh prog fans when it comes to this festival. However, it is the prog fans that dominate this forum so that screws with perception. That fucked my reality last year and it resulted in the first show not sold out in four years.

Promoter Rule #1: Always trust your gut. With your age and experience, it won't fail you.

Promoter Rule #2: Avoid compromise. (How many prog songs deal with that subject?).