Virgin Steele for PP Damnit!

AngraRULES said:
Whatever dude. Didn't know if you're good at "predicting the future too."

Enjoy Cheetah's, anyways. There's better things to do at ProgPower. In fact, I noticed you talk A LOT about Cheetah's. It makes me think about possible reasons, but I'd rather keep them to myself...

Bring Virgin Steele, Glenn. I'm just starting to get into them and it's a hell of a good band!
I guess you were not here when Rage headlined
The place emptied,and fast,
VS is NOT headline material,period.A 2 slot,probably.
And there are reasons I do go to Cheetahs(as do a lot of people here,including members of bands and management teams )
If you have a problem with me not liking VS,keep them to yourself please

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
I guess you were not here when Rage headlined
The place emptied,and fast,
VS is NOT headline material,period.A 2 slot,probably.
And there are reasons I do go to Cheetahs(as do a lot of people here,including members of bands and management teams )
If you have a problem with me not liking VS,keep them to yourself please

Chris, first of all I wasn't there when Rage headlined. I never made it to PP IV but then again I'm not stupid and I know the place emptied. Now, if you said it before it happened, great for you! Either you can get a job as a psychic or it was a big coincidence. In any case, I vote for option B.

VS may NOT be headlining material! I never said they are, though. However, I don't think the place would empty like it did when Rage played. There was more reasons other than just the fact that they're Rage and a lot of people didn't know them. Don't forget they played after what seems to be the big show stealer of the night, Evergrey.

You go to Cheetahs? Awesome! Have fun! :headbang:

And by the way, did I ever say I have a problem with you not liking them?

Hmmmm... Better work on those psychic abilities, they seem to be slightly off... :lol::lol:

AngraRULES said:
Don't forget they played after what seems to be the big show stealer of the night, Evergrey.

Agreed, and therein lies the key. To go much further than just playing after them, the biggest impetus behind people leaving before Rage that night was the impromptu meet & greet session announcement from Evergrey.

I'm sure there still would've been a "Rage effect" to some extent, but not nearly to the same degree that announcement caused.

Jason

AngraRULES said:
Chris, first of all I wasn't there when Rage headlined. I never made it to PP IV but then again I'm not stupid and I know the place emptied. Now, if you said it before it happened, great for you! Either you can get a job as a psychic or it was a big coincidence. In any case, I vote for option B.

VS may NOT be headlining material! I never said they are, though. However, I don't think the place would empty like it did when Rage played. There was more reasons other than just the fact that they're Rage and a lot of people didn't know them. Don't forget they played after what seems to be the big show stealer of the night, Evergrey.

You go to Cheetahs? Awesome! Have fun! :headbang:

And by the way, did I ever say I have a problem with you not liking them?

Hmmmm... Better work on those psychic abilities, they seem to be slightly off... :lol::lol:

Then leave the booking to Glenn,if he feels that VS would be a benefit to the show,and feels that they would draw people,then all teh power to him,last i saw,he has an incredible track record of being right.

But I'm going by what I've seen
I lived on Long Island(their hometown) till 2000
I've seen them live at least 6 times there
The last time they drew a significant crowd was around 1989
Last time I saw them on Long Island,in 1999,they played to 45 people
Last time I ever seen them,in 2002,at Jaxx,most the crowd left after Division.
I'm just going by what my two eyes have seen,and they tell me for some reason,they are not a draw here in the states.
Again,if Glenn thinks otherwise,then I trust his decision.
IMO,I actually think they would be great for the Pre Party,as a good way to see how well they are recieved,and a 2,3,or 4 slot,as that would get them enough time to hit their catelogue

Considering that the pre-party is now the Showcase and essentially the first night of progpower, maybe Virgin Steele would fit in well as a headliner there.

Otherwise, I think the 75 minute slot is good. I can't say I'd be enthusiastic about seeing them(and I do have two of their albums), but I'd like it enough to not wander off.

I'm in favor of Virgin Steele, especially if they play the entire Invictus album (as if that's going to happened). I can do without hearing their lastest, Visions of Eden. What a snoozefest...

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
I'm just going by what my two eyes have seen,and they tell me for some reason,they are not a draw here in the states.

I'm not debating anything in regards to Virgin Steele specifically. However, I still disagree with you 100% on various business points.

You cannot compare any local show to the festival in terms of draw. Do you honestly think an unknown band like Manticora, Stride, or Circus Maximus would draw more than 50-100 people in NYC in a smaller dive with no promotion? That's not a slam to them, but the reality of being an unknown band in a local market.

However, they had a packed house watching them in Atlanta. It's an American crowd, but with international knowledge.

Harvester said:
I'm not debating anything in regards to Virgin Steele specifically. However, I still disagree with you 100% on various business points.

You cannot compare any local show to the festival in terms of draw. Do you honestly think an unknown band like Manticora, Stride, or Circus Maximus would draw more than 50-100 people in NYC in a smaller dive with no promotion? That's not a slam to them, but the reality of being an unknown band in a local market.

However, they had a packed house watching them in Atlanta. It's an American crowd, but with international knowledge.
And more than a few international attendees. People fly in from all over the world for this event, so it isn't fair to compare it to a show in any other city, even NYC, that draws only "locals" within aprox. a 2-hour driving radius.

J-Dubya said:
I would definately check them out, and who knows, I might even like them live better than what I heard on cd/mp3.
Same here. I give EVERY band a shot and have been won over more often than not. For me, VS has some obvious excellent tracks, but than gets stuck in a groove of repetitiveness Maybe live it would be different.

Dark One said:
To go much further than just playing after them, the biggest impetus behind people leaving before Rage that night was the impromptu meet & greet session announcement from Evergrey.
That and failing to pace yourself. It was my first PP and I was fried after expending all my energy during the EG set...and all the rest of the w.e. and I heard quite a few others say the same.

Harvester said:

Kuul then,thats why your the promoter and I'm the atendee
Which means when I win a mega PowerBall Lottery and I have my little "Chris F5 celebrating he is a multimillionaire prog powerish fest" here in Fla,guess who will be my paid consultant then

AMBR said:
And more than a few international attendees. People fly in from all over the world for this event, so it isn't fair to compare it to a show in any other city, even NYC, that draws only "locals" within aprox. a 2-hour driving radius.

Same here. I give EVERY band a shot and have been won over more often than not. For me, VS has some obvious excellent tracks, but than gets stuck in a groove of repetitiveness Maybe live it would be different.

That and failing to pace yourself. It was my first PP and I was fried after expending all my energy during the EG set...and all the rest of the w.e. and I heard quite a few others say the same.

Actually,you want an example of getting your ass kicked then getting "Blahhed" out
Blind Guardian followed by Pain of Salvation at PP 3

Harvester said:
The second rule of thumb is that power fans far outweigh prog fans when it comes to this festival. However, it is the prog fans that dominate this forum so that screws with perception.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that prog fans dominate here.....seems like it's pretty close to 50-50.

A lot of the familiar names we've seen for many years, though, are prog fans, going back to the heady, early days of the Ytsejam List. That might be skewing perception a bit.

Honestly, I never realized Virgin Steele was so associated with comparisons to Manowar, on stage gimmicks, 80's metal, etc. Their albums have such a polished, dramatic, elegant feel ... it's a surprise to hear. I always thought they'd be perfect for PP and they're definitely on my wishlist. "Blood & Gasoline" would be a must, and I'd be crossing my fingers for "Strawgirl" and/or "Forever Will I Roam".

DT Jesus said:
Honestly, I never realized Virgin Steele was so associated with comparisons to Manowar, on stage gimmicks, 80's metal, etc. Their albums have such a polished, dramatic, elegant feel ... it's a surprise to hear. I always thought they'd be perfect for PP and they're definitely on my wishlist. "Blood & Gasoline" would be a must, and I'd be crossing my fingers for "Strawgirl" and/or "Forever Will I Roam".

I might actually offer David oral sex in exchange for "Dominion Day" or "Veni, Vidi, Vici". :lol:

Damn - Go away for a few days and come back to a huge thread involving one of my favorite bands . . . odd

I've already gone on record that Virgin Steele is one of my top 5 bands. To me, they are similar to Savatage (my #1) in their talent, range and song writing skill.

I'm not sure why they only play small bars in NY (I've never seen them), but Glenn is probably correct that that doesn't impact their ability to play a fest here in the US. With their huge catalog of diverse but catchy music, they could easily headline. However, I'd understand if they played a 4 spot.

For anyone that wants to give them a chance, listen to the following songs from their catalog:

'Burning of Rome' - from "Age of Consent"
'Blood & Gasoline' - from "Marriage Of Heaven & Hell Part 1"
'Veni, Vidi, Vici' - from "Invictus"
'Agony and Shame' - from "The House Of Atreus Act I"
'The Wine Of Violence' - from "The House Of Atreus Act II"

Really, Marriage Pt1 and Invictus are two amazing albums, and I could pick a number of songs from those.

I am holding out hope to see VS at PP one day. And Chris, I agree completely that they have to play Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)!

Steve in Philly

Reactions: Dark One
DarkOne said:
Damn - Go away for a few days and come back to a huge thread involving one of my favorite bands . . . odd

I've already gone on record that Virgin Steele is one of my top 5 bands. To me, they are similar to Savatage (my #1) in their talent, range and song writing skill.

I'm not sure why they only play small bars in NY (I've never seen them), but Glenn is probably correct that that doesn't impact their ability to play a fest here in the US. With their huge catalog of diverse but catchy music, they could easily headline. However, I'd understand if they played a 4 spot.

For anyone that wants to give them a chance, listen to the following songs from their catalog:

'Burning of Rome' - from "Age of Consent"
'Blood & Gasoline' - from "Marriage Of Heaven & Hell Part 1"
'Veni, Vidi, Vici' - from "Invictus"
'Agony and Shame' - from "The House Of Atreus Act I"
'The Wine Of Violence' - from "The House Of Atreus Act II"

Really, Marriage Pt1 and Invictus are two amazing albums, and I could pick a number of songs from those.

I am holding out hope to see VS at PP one day. And Chris, I agree completely that they have to play Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)!

Steve in Philly

You get a :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: for your song recommendation list.

The biggest problem with VS doing or not doing a PP USA is Sanctuary/Noise. Anyone notice YOU CAN"T FIND THEIR CATALOGUE anywhere in the real world???