Advice for a PPUSA first-timer?

I’m definitely in the camp that tries to catch every single set. I have a “3-song rule” for every band – if I’m just not into the set after 3 songs, I’ll leave. In 8 years of attending, I’ve only given up on two sets. Even when the music isn’t my cup of tea, I can almost always appreciate watching a band that is busting their ass to put on a great show.

I hit the local Publix as soon as I arrive, and stock up on portable things like granola/yogurt, sandwich stuff, etc.. I can usually run to the hotel and grab something in between sets without missing any music. It was really nice the first few years when you could bring outside food in to the venue, but that hasn’t been the case for the last couple of years. (Or maybe that was *always* the rule, but it’s being more strictly enforced now…I’m not sure).

There are SO many aspects to the festival, that it’s good to consider your priorities ahead of time. Is it important to you to see every band? Is it important to attend every band signing (which can involve missing part of a set, if the line is long)? Do you want time to socialize? Are you planning to drink? To drink a LOT? Are you planning to stay up all night at the after parties? Or do you need a reasonable amount of sleep to function? Do you want to see the sights and hit local restaurants in Atlanta? Are you going to line up early and hit the vendor room as soon as it opens? Going in with a game plan is always a good idea!

This year was my first year, and it was great. SF Metal Man and I shared a hotel, not knowing each other beforehand. The aquarium was pretty awesome. If you do anything extra, I'd go spend 2 hours at the aquarium for around $40 - it was worth it and it's very modern with a nice dolphin show too.

The city is pretty easy to navigate on day 2, but the first day was scary as hell. 2 peachtree roads connect everything pretty much, so even if you are 2-3 miles away, it doesn't really matter that much if you take it nice and slow. There are plenty of one way streets, which I'm really not used to. I would expect to end up making a few wrong turns and needing 10-15 extra time if you don't want to miss anything.

Stay off the highway unless you are used to switching through 7 lanes of traffic in a huge beltway (OMG that was 5 minutes of horror). Statistically, I've heard Atlanta has the worst chance of accidents. It was easy to see why. Narrow lanes, tons of one way streets, crazy highway, and lots of streets with almost the same name - peach tree SW, N, NW, WTF?!

The streets of Atlanta downtown were mostly empty this year and that felt very weird because the buildings are huge. Apparently, when there isn't a big event, no one is in the city. I never felt like it was dangerous even late at night. It would probably be better to connect with someone that is going, since halfway knowing someone is more fun then not knowing anyone. I kind of sensed the most of the crowd felt the same way about the various bands. Like it was so obvious everyone liked Myrath. Some of the bands are much better at commanding the stage. Some of the performances are really surprising because they do some things you wouldn't expect. Like several of the drummers were really world class this year (Myrath / Sabaton / Circus Maximus / Shadow Gallery). You don't quite understand how powerful some of the music is until it is played loud.

If you make any stops off the highway around Atlanta, I think you'd find that it's like 99% black and kind of run down, but the city is a lot nicer and seemed to have more diversity.

It was easy to find parking at the venue in one of the lots, but I found it hard to drive manual because of the steep inclines. Fortunately, nothing bad happened.

I'm going to look for a roommate on the forum here when it gets closer to the event. Everyone I saw at the concert seems pretty respectful and such. There was 1 mosh pit and I saw a dude break/sprain his ankle, a guy lose his glasses during soilwork, but everyone was really nice at the same time despite those reckless mistakes. I think only 10 people actually wanted to have a mosh pit, and most others were slightly annoyed because 1 or 2 people kept pummeling into them - lol. It's definitely not a mosh pit type of event, but I don't think they actively discourage it either, which some venues I know stop that instantly. I was right next to those crazy kids, and it made soilwork's set seem almost inappropriate because the prog elements seemed a bit lost in the madness of the more aggressive style metal and crowd distraction. I actually like soilwork more on the album then live now.

I met several random strangers who enjoyed talking about the music briefly in various lines for merch / bathroom / signatures. The bands are at tables just outside the main room, so it's really easy to access the signing, but you might have to miss some of the music waiting for a signature - I don't collect signatures, but I did shake hands with the guys in Circus Maximus because they deserve a lot of praise - that was pretty cool to meet the whole band. You'll find the 30 minutes between bands goes by very fast and there just isn't enough time for it all. It was really great to be able to sit down for some of the acts. You can sit anywhere, and it was nice to have that freedom. It was also pretty easy to be up close for your favorite bands if you wanted to stand in the middle. I think every seat in the theater is good though - even the very top. The direct sound up front is better then from the top row.

The bands shared a lot of the equipment to keep up the rapid pace of switching acts, so there were occasional tech issues during live song, and crew scrambled to get an amp going again. I think they blew some tubes and had some shitty cables for at least 3 bands. That kind of stuff was forgivable overall. The headlining bands seemed to be able to use more of their own gear, and be more meticulous about the sound check & gear quality. It would probably be an hour wait if every band had their own gear, which would make it hard to fit in a lot of the music. The last 1 or 2 bands each night were technically superior I thought, which makes a difference for highly technical music like prog metal. Though, there are so many good bands in 2014, I'd bet some of these issues won't happen.

I don't have any local friends who are die-hard prog music fans, so I plan on going alone each year probably.

I had a lot of doubts before committing to go this year - mainly the money & long drive (6 hours). But after going there, I thought it was the best concert experience I've had. I'm just 31 and haven't seen many of the international prog / power metal bands live yet, but I listen to them all day. This concert is the closest/cheapest way to see a lot of great bands I listen to. I'm mostly wanting to see Seventh Wonder / Pagan's Mind / DGM in 2014.

If you can't find someone else to hang out with, you could meet up with me and/or share hotel costs. I'm non-smoker / non-drinker and do web development. I also play drums/guitar, which is why I like better musicianship in jazz/prog more. I won't cause you any trouble.

In a way, I'm kind of glad I'm going alone. None of my friends are into metal, let alone prog and power. I planned on just going see the bands, buy the shirts, and go home. I plan on getting a hotel close by, in walking distance to save on the driving and to drop off merch and pick up snacks here and there. I'll definitely have to stop by the Artmore courtyard and see those parties I've heard so much about. I can deal with no sleep. Metal tends to wake one up.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems my biggest challenge will be balancing the social aspect versus just going there to see the bands. I plan on being a semi-active member on the forums here so that will help.

Thanks so much for the offer. I'll definitely be considering this in the coming months.

Welcome aboard!!! Good to see another "Louisianian" here. If i recall, High Speed Kurt is from NO area and Mardoch is from the BR area.

One thing you might want to consider is taking AmTrak. A round trip ticket should cost you about $100. It may seem steep, but it's no gas to pay for and NO DRIVING. A train leaves the NO station, right by the Superdome, about 6 am about every morning. The station in ATL is near Atlantic Station, which is near the venue. Book your room early,or possibly split a condo with another festival attendee. Those who I have met are pretty trustworthy and are pretty responsible.

I hadn't even considered the train. I rode Amtrak from that station to New York before. I wouldn't ever do another train trip that takes place overnight, but Atlanta won't take that long.

The station in ATL is near Atlantic Station,

Yes, the Amtrak station is near Atlantic Station (just like the venue); however, to clarify, it's located in Midtown on Peachtree. For those unaware, Atlantic Station is across the interstate bridge. :)

Here's a facebook note with Amtrak details:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/prog...-100-or-consider-carpooling/10150987000539819

Also, there is an Amtrak train station less than 1 mile from the venue.

1688 Peachtree Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309
The venue's located on West Peachtree St. about 1 mile away. There's a MARTA bus stop right outside the train station. Get on #110 bus and take it to the MARTA Arts Center rail station that's across the street from the Artmore hotel.

~Jen

I like the idea of a 10% discount to dependents of AAA members. I'll have to talk to my dad and see if he still has that membership.

Man, no kidding. I've always wanted to take a train ride somewhere, too. That's actually pretty tempting.

I took my kids to ATL to visit family back in July and thought they would have a good time on the train.

Plenty of legroom, an outlet at every seat for those who are frantic about keeping their devices fully charged; and you can bring food on. Warning: You cannot eat in the lounge cart unless it's food bought at the lounge.

Parking is about $5 a day at the station in NO.

Definitely worth it and fun for someone looking for a different adventure, budget conscious or looking for an alternative for travel. My kids had a blast....plus, I didn't have to drive.

Yes, the Amtrak station is near Atlantic Station (just like the venue); however, to clarify, it's located in Midtown on Peachtree. For those unaware, Atlantic Station is across the interstate bridge. :)

Here's a facebook note with Amtrak details:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/prog...-100-or-consider-carpooling/10150987000539819

Also, there is an Amtrak train station less than 1 mile from the venue.

1688 Peachtree Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309
The venue's located on West Peachtree St. about 1 mile away. There's a MARTA bus stop right outside the train station. Get on #110 bus and take it to the MARTA Arts Center rail station that's across the street from the Artmore hotel.

~Jen

Thanks for the clear up, Jen. I always thought Atlantic Station was a confusing/ strange name. I consider myself an honorary Atlantan (?) sometimes, although, most of my time is spent in Paulding County.

Slightly more than my estimated cost of gas for the trip (obviously gas prices a year out are a total black box) but potentially still worth it A) just to take a train someplace and B) to not risk "go to jail" sized speeding tickets. That's also about a third of the cost of flying. And the parking's cheaper than the BR airport.

Same here. A cost about $20 more than my estimated cost of gas, but gas might go up by then, my car's great mpg might have gone down due to age, and parking at the station will probably be a lot cheaper than at the hotel. Plus there's that AAA discount and I can just sit down in the train and relax.

Slightly more than my estimated cost of gas for the trip (obviously gas prices a year out are a total black box) but potentially still worth it A) just to take a train someplace and B) to not risk "go to jail" sized speeding tickets. That's also about a third of the cost of flying. And the parking's cheaper than the BR airport.

Based on past experience, I'd guess there's a good chance of finding a round-trip flight for less than $140. I flew round-trip from Tampa this year (about the same distance) for $96, and last year for $108. Considerably less than the price of gas alone, leaving aside exorbitant parking costs in midtown. I also looked into Amtrak a few times, but the schedules were never feasible for me.

Based on past experience, I'd guess there's a good chance of finding a round-trip flight for less than $140. I flew round-trip from Tampa this year (about the same distance) for $96, and last year for $108. Considerably less than the price of gas alone, leaving aside exorbitant parking costs in midtown. I also looked into Amtrak a few times, but the schedules were never feasible for me.

Maybe flying from a nice big place like Tampa, but not from Baton Rouge. Even if I buy a year out I'm still paying over $300. It's one of the many non-perks of living here.

However, a car full of PPUSA attendees on a train would be about the most awesome fest travel method I can imagine.

Maybe flying from a nice big place like Tampa, but not from Baton Rouge.

I'm not certain about Baton Rouge, but I'm fairly sure the same deal was available from New Orleans. Which I'm just pointing out... I know that doesn't necessarily mean New Orleans is feasible for you.

Even if I buy a year out I'm still paying over $300. It's one of the many non-perks of living here.

Buying domestic flights a year out almost guarantees a terrible price. Good deals for a September flight will pop up from June to August.

However, a car full of PPUSA attendees on a train would be about the most awesome fest travel method I can imagine.

Agreed!

I'm not certain about Baton Rouge, but I'm fairly sure the same deal was available from New Orleans. Which I'm just pointing out... I know that doesn't necessarily mean New Orleans is feasible for you.

Buying domestic flights a year out almost guarantees a terrible price. Good deals for a September flight will pop up from June to August.

Fair enough. Interestingly, though, prices now are the same prices as three months prior, which leads me to believe that we just don't get much love.

NO is about an hour out and the parking is much worse (and so is the airport) so I generally avoid it.

This is usually my experience. Unless you're lucky and catch an airfare war that applies to flights more than six months down the road (they don't usually, that I've ever seen), 2-4 months out seems to be the sweet spot. And I'm flying out of a small dinky airport, too. I don't have to go to Raleigh to get decent fares; I just have to be attentive.