Advice for a PPUSA first-timer?

I had never even considered flying. It's such a short trip I'd rather just drive even if flying was cheaper. I don't like flying, especially alone.

I had never even considered flying. It's such a short trip I'd rather just drive even if flying was cheaper. I don't like flying, especially alone.

It is flying for me all the way!!!! After that weekend, there is no fucking way in hell that I am going to embark on a 10+ hour drive to get back home. I was practically passed out in the airport that Sunday morning waiting for my flight after this last year's ProgPower, considering just how friggan EPIC that post-show party was Saturday night/Sunday morning. :zzz: :zombie:

On the topic of trains, I actually did look into that myself, but alas, the train schedules just did not work out good for me. The problem is there is no direct train to Atlanta from Fredericksburg. I have to sit in Charlotte, NC and change trains, with a several hours-long layover. Sucks as I would love to be able to take the train, considering there is a friggan train station right here in Fredericksburg (no having to drive down to Richmond, or up into D.C. catch a flight.), plus there is a parking deck across the street from the train station where the parking is dirt cheap.

It is flying for me all the way!!!! After that weekend, there is no fucking way in hell that I am going to embark on a 10+ hour drive to get back home. I was practically passed out in the airport that Sunday morning waiting for my flight after this last year's ProgPower, considering just how friggan EPIC that post-show party was Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Heh, this reminds me of when a friend and I drove 16 hours from New Jersey in 2006. After the fest, early on Sunday morning, we hung out for a while after the show, then hit the road again around 4:00 AM on Sunday morning. I can usually power through a long drive like that myself with no problem, but after 4 days of partying with very little sleep, the only way we made it back without stopping was switching off driving and sleeping. We also took a few short naps when stopping to get food. Much caffeine was involved. The reason we did this was to get back early and be able to get to work on Monday morning... but we both wound up bailing on work on Monday anyway, heh.

The last couple years, I haven't left Atlanta until Monday afternoon, and I plan to do that again next year unless there's some urgent reason for me to get back.

Forgot one of the most important tips.. Bring some of those little pocket antibacterial gels. You're going to be in a small arena with over a thousand other people, of which one will be Patient Zero with the crud.

I have a suppressed immune system, and managed to avoid getting sick - every 45 minutes or so, I'd clean my hands and face with the gel. My wife didn't, and she was sick as a dog the next week.

The ProgPower FLU exists.

So does the Post ProgPower Blues... :|

Yes.. definitely.. the buildup and excitement was almost unbearable for me, and then getting home and having it all be OVER and having to wait another whole year is .... daunting.

Yes.. definitely.. the buildup and excitement was almost unbearable for me, and then getting home and having it all be OVER and having to wait another whole year is .... daunting.

You're not kidding. After the excitement of hearing how awesome next year's lineup is came the reality that it was an entire year away. Talk about a range of emotions going from excitement to depression.

Walking distance is a very relative term. How far are you comfortable walking when it's 1 AM and you've been having your ass aurally beaten for 8+ hours?

Hah great question. I'm also not too familiar with downtown Atlanta, so I also don't know the problem areas either. I'm thinking a few blocks would be ok as long as I don't get mugged. I don't know.. 10 to 15 minutes tops I suppose. I could go a little bit further if need be.

We stayed at the Marriott Suites last year. 5-6 minute walk, and DaVinci's is on the way for those late night munchies.

There were a few homeless people, but overall, I never felt unsafe. You could also call a cab if you were concerned about walking at night.

I've been planning on staying at the Mariott. Around $800 for all four nights, and I've heard it isn't very far.

Here's some advice from a crew member. If you want to TRULY experience all that the festival is, then you need to get into a hotel adjacent to the venue. Others may disagree. And that is their prerogative. However, I believe that the social aspects of the festival are just as much a part of the total experience as the music. You will want to stay as close as possible to get the most out of PPUSA.

Basically, I know of four. I am quite sure there are others. But these leap to mind. And all are within easy walking distance of the venue.

Artmore Hotel
Marriott Atlanta Suites Midtown
Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown
Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites Midtown

If you want to get into one of these, book as soon as possible. They will fill up. If you DO get into one of these places, then park your car in the hotel garage when you arrive and forget about it. You won't be needing it - unless of course you want to take in some other sights while in Atlanta...or ATL as all my gangsta dawg wigster homies like to say...shout out to my posse yo!

Now, having said all of that, this is VERY important. If you can't get into one of the hotels within walking distance for any reason, then staying Midtown is not - repeat - NOT worth it in my opinion. The rooms are too pricey and you will end up missing out on the social aspects of the fest anyway. And trust me, walking alone 6-8 blocks to a hotel in Midtown at 1-2 am is NOT a casual stroll...if you get my drift. My advice? If you can't stay close (and you don't pack heat) then get a nice room convenient to an interstate exit 15-20 minutes out and pony up for the $10 a day parking fee at the venue. You can easily make up the parking in what you'll save on a room.

Other advice?

1. Bring money for CD purchases. You asked what the CD sales are like? Ok. Here it is in three words...HEAVY METAL ORGASM! More prog/power/death/black/melodic/gothic/symphonic/orchestralmanoeuvres/folk/viking metal CDs than you have ever seen in one place. Unless you've been to Wacken or one of the other big euro open air festivals...in which case I hate you already.

2. Bring money/make time for FOOD. There are some great restaurants in the area around the venue. Others are a short cab/MARTA ride away. Anything and everything you could want. I will not plug a favorite restaurant here *coughfrontpagenewscough* I'm not that crass. Besides, not everyone appreciates some of the BEST CAJUN FOOD in Atlanta.

3. Drink a LOT of water. Even if you don't imbibe of the various liquid libations making the rounds (have you ever seen a moon shine that bright?) you WILL get dehydrated unless you drink water and LOTS of it.

4. Take Airborne like religion for three days leading up to the fest and continue to take it until after you get home.

5. Bring hand sanitizer and baptize yourself in it on a semi-regular basis all day long every day. Seriously. The ProgPower Plague IS a very real thing and it is no joke. I have seen it kick BIG grown man ass...and it is NOT pretty.

6. Enjoy one of the best festivals of any kind anywhere!