Bands who can't pull it off live...

About Blind Guardian ..... the DVD was amazing, and the live show in Atlanta was even more amazing. Andre was playing everything precisely, and there wasn't a single tear in the band's rhythm or sound; and Hansi had the crowd in the palm of his hands. I fervently declare that Blind Guardian should NOT be listed as a band that "can't pull it off live." Yes, every band has their off days, but to say a band can't EVER pull it off live is simply unfitting to the likes of Blind Guardian.

The SX/Epica/Into Eternity thread made me think...

I can't think of another band whose so universally loved on disc, but so frequently panned live, as Into Eternity. I was trying to think of who else falls into this category, but came up empty. There's got to be others.

Who else falls into this category?

Zod

EDIT: My question wasn't really about energy level. My question pertained to being able to perform live, what you play on your CDs.

Well, I saw Into Eternity during the last DT tour twice and they certainly did fine with the new material. It was another thing with the previous stuff but I was very happy with their performance compared to the previous time I saw them at PP USA.

Steve

np: 3 - The end is begun

You and Crooks are the cranky old women of metal :lol: I swear. You guys don't like ANYTHING. :)

The Michael

Don't make me break out the beer bottle :lol:

Just because I don't like Drangonforce and I saw the "only two" bad Blind Guardian shows ever, I don't like ANYTHING? :Smug:

I liked 7 of the 10 bands at Prog Power, and I'll have you know that I even like the new Andre Matos album!

I agree that Swanoing the lyrics was weak, but the band sounded very tight, especially considering they had a fill in drummer.

Zod

I was going to mention Nightingale at PPUSA...Swano reading off the sheets on the flimsy metal stand was very amateurish.

I understand all the posts about Blind Guardian's PPUSA 3 performance. It seemed as if Hansi was performing for an intimate setting, with the way he narrated in between the songs and the way he spoke. He dressed like a janitor, and BG didn't have a big headliner banner or light show (probably requested dim lights), which all detracted from the visual element. Strangely, I found that his singing was intense, not in the usual way the word is used. Just that each phrase was sung with a quiet intensity. Probably didn't come off well live for the PPUSA setting.

While I like listening to Epica CDs, I was a little disappointed with their PPUSA show. She seemed to have sung a significant part half-improvised, meaning not sticking to the original notes on the CD. It shows off that she's having fun and enjoying the show, but the original intensity and drama of the songs are somewhat lost. Same thing about Anette singing the old Nightwish. Can't complain about the intensity or the enjoyment of the show, though.

As for Secret Sphere, I couldn't say. I was very distracted by all the flag-waving, the animal print spandex, oh, and the girl on stage gyrating her pelvis like a stripper doing bad backing vocals.

If you want to start picking on vocalists only, Dream Theater has to be mentioned - was there anyone in the '90s that was as consistently awful live as LaBrie?

dave mustaine BLOWS on pretty much every live disc/video i have heard, vocal wise that is.

oops!:eek:..yeah I didn't read the wording right. Yea..can't?..I've heard Coheed and Cambria sucks live. Honestly, I found Spiral Architect at PP boring and disappointing. I was really expecting them to be more energetic. Maybe it was an off night for them.

You've heard wrong.

I thought spiral architect was amazing, not energetic, but they nailed every note of every song(they were the main reason I went to my first progpower). I am going to defend Swano for the Nightingale set at progpower, after becoming a huge swano fan over the past few years or so, with how much music he was written and recorded and performed over his career, I wouldn't remember the lyrics either to all the shit I sang on. It is unreal how much shit he has done and if he did have the lyrics memorized then he has to be the smartest man with the biggest memory in the planet.

Take a look at the Symphony X, Epica, Into Eternity Teaming up for N. American Tour thread and note just how many people think they're terrible live. And again, keep in mind, almost all of the folks saying they suck live, are fans of the band's CDs.

It's one thing when people who don't like a band, slag a band's live performance. It's another when people who like the band, slag the band. If your fans think you suck live, than you probably suck live.

Zod

They most certainly don't suck live. People must be deaf and blind because every time I have seen them (once when they all had the flu, and once when they only had one guitarist) they were incredibly tight and fun. You want a sloppy band? Children Of Bodom.

Well, I saw Into Eternity during the last DT tour twice and they certainly did fine with the new material. It was another thing with the previous stuff but I was very happy with their performance compared to the previous time I saw them at PP USA.

Steve

np: 3 - The end is begun

wahhhh

they played like 4 songs off Buried and Elysium Dream off Dead or Dreaming and NO complaints considering its a different vocalist and basically entirely new band honestly I think some people just have very nit picky(douchebaggish imo :p) standards for bands live preformances

Children of Bodom was spot on both times I have seen them and they were full of energy. Seeing Warmen nail a crazy ass keys solo with one hand while chugging a beer with his other hand impressed me.

everything I read about Coheed..and some of the videos like from WARPED this past summer, doesn't support them being anything special live. They are a much better studio band.

And Spiral Architect I honestly was falling asleep. I was hoping they'd have more stage prescence and some of the music matching what I got from the record. Didn't happen really.

This will probably come off as heresy here in this forum but Blind Guardian didn't cut it in Prog Power III. I expected this crazy show since their music is so over the top but all i got was a really good lead guitarist and a singer who looked like he just got out of bed, I can't even remember if the other band members interacted with the crowd or not. Maybe it wasn't a good night so I guess I'll give them another chance if they come close to where I live.

He actually had pretty much just got out of bed. The band was jetlagged to hell and they had to fly out extremely early Saturday morning. I think this played a huge part in the lack of energy. I don't care if a band is energetic or not, as long as it looks like they're enjoying themselves (ie. smile), at least in power metal and such.

The Atlanta show that happened last year was nothing short of amazing, possibly THE best show I have ever seen. They were fantastic and the crowd was mostly really great. The very first show where I heard people doing what I call the 'soccer chant'. Everyone knows it, I just don't know what its proper name is. The whole crowd chanted Majesty and Hansi couldn't help but smile and laugh and then they fuckin did it! I agree that BG's performance lacked energy at PP3, however it was there threefold at least at the Atlanta show. The Charlotte show was really great too, but there wasn't a large audience and the stage was really small. Hansi told me that the Charlotte show was probably the third worst show they had done on the tour at that point. I don't even know why they were booked for Charlotte because its not a metal town at all. More extreme acts have a bit more success but I cannot understand for the life of me why some bands get booked in the weirdest/shittiest places (other than record labels being completely retarded). So I understand the complaints about BG, but they are more than capable of putting on a superb show.

I listened extremely careful to Spiral Architect's set and I am as critical as they come, especially on drummers, and from what I heard Spiral Architect nailed everything, especially Asgeir and Lars, and they were the most humble guys too. I just can't wait to finally hear Asgeir live with Borknagar, I have been waiting so patiently, I need to see them live so bad, or at least a live dvd for christ's sake, oh yeah, and when the hell is that Nevermore live dvd coming out, I am getting impatient waiting for that.