Best tour packages...

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
I was listening to Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Black yesterday and remember the first time I saw them open for Iced Earth. I started thinking what a killer line-up that tour was: Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Destiny's End, and The Quiet Room and it got me thinking - they really don't package tours where I want to see everyband very often anymore. I started thinking back and could remember a lot of great tours in the 90's where every band playing was someone I wanted to see or ended up liking them because of the show. There are some tours that have come close, like the upcoming Scar Symmetry/Swallow the Sun/Insomnium tour - I'm not a fan of Katatonia. Or when In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Borewitch Engaged played - I gave Boreswitch about a song and a half and left to get something to drink.

So here's the deal, list some great shows you have seen in the past where every band that played that night was a favorite or became a favorite. Festivals don't count.

My list:
Testament/Annihilator/Wrathchild America ('89)
Overkill/Coroner/Powermad ('89)
Anthrax/Exodus/Helloween ('89?)
Iced Earth/Jag Panzer/The Quiet Room ('98)
Iced Earth/Destiny's End
Amorphis/Covenant/Moonspell ('99)
Blind Guardian/Symphony X ('02)
King Diamond/Entombed/Nile ('03)

It would seem '89 was a great year for tours!

Some other ones that I remember, or someone else reminds me:
Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead
Death/Hammerfall
Iced Earth/Evergrey/Children of Bodom

Megadeth / Warlock / Sanctuary
Slayer / Danzig / Trouble
Anthrax / Exodus / Helloween
Ministry / Helmet / Sepultura
King Diamond / Flotsam & Jetsam / Annihilator
Sepultura / Sacred Reich / Napalm Death / Sick of it All
Iron Maiden / Dio / Motorhead
Iced Earth / In Flames / Jag Panzer
Metallica / Danzig / Suicidal Tendencies

I am sure there are dozens more.

I have a list of EVERY metal show I have been to, which I can post if anyone cares to see.

I was listening to Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Black yesterday and remember the first time I saw them open for Iced Earth. I started thinking what a killer line-up that tour was: Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Destiny's End, and The Quiet Room

Are you sure it wasn't just Destiny's End and Iced Earth? There was another tour with The Quiet Room, Jag Panzer, Anvil and Iced Earth, which I believe was the only time TQR ever went on tour.

Megadeth / Warlock / Sanctuary
Slayer / Danzig / Trouble
Anthrax / Exodus / Helloween
Ministry / Helmet / Sepultura
King Diamond / Flotsam & Jetsam / Annihilator
Sepultura / Sacred Reich / Napalm Death / Sick of it All
Iron Maiden / Dio / Motorhead
Iced Earth / In Flames / Jag Panzer
Metallica / Danzig / Suicidal Tendencies

I am sure there are dozens more.

I have a list of EVERY metal show I have been to, which I can post if anyone cares to see.
Saw the Megadeth/Warlock/Sanctuary
Saw the Slayer/Danzig sans Trouble
Saw the Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer

A couple of those go waaaaay back

Maybe we were at some of the same shows?

I saw all of them in MI

one of the best tours I never got to see was last Summer.

3/Kaddisfly/Kiss Kiss

I did get to see K-fLy at least, but the other two bands on the same bill would have been tremendous. A fire/flood at the club in Mpls caused it not to happen, K-fly were the only band who were able to be re-booked.

one of the best tours I never got to see was last Summer.

3/Kaddisfly/Kiss Kiss

I did get to see K-fLy at least, but the other two bands on the same bill would have been tremendous. A fire/flood at the club in Mpls caused it not to happen, K-fly were the only band who were able to be re-booked.

3 is awesome, I saw them open for Coheed and Cambria a few years ago. Great live show

Lullacry/Nostradameus/Heavenly/Freedom Call/Edguy - France '01

A friend and I followed them around and saw the show 3 times in Lyon, Paris and Lille. My friend followed them up to London and saw it again (with Gamma Ray) while I headed back to Paris to be a tourist.

Are you sure it wasn't just Destiny's End and Iced Earth? There was another tour with The Quiet Room, Jag Panzer, Anvil and Iced Earth, which I believe was the only time TQR ever went on tour.

I believe you are correct sir. I guess I got those 2 confused because I think they were pretty close together time wise.

You guys are bringing back some good memories! :D

After reading, I must add:
Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead (can't believe I forgot about this one)
Iced Earth/Evergrey/Childer of Bodom

I'm probably going to be the only one mentioning this one, but... Nevermore/Savatage was one of my favorites. I had a lot of fun before, during, and after that show. My friends and I were in the front row during Savatage, and Caffery tossed a pick that landed on my buddy's shoulder... he didn't even realize it until I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to it... Chris and Johnny Lee were cracking up. :) After the show, Johnny was surrounded with shy little pussy-ass fanboys and signing their stuff... I started cracking Johnny up, and all the little fanboys were like, "Oh my God, you're TALKING to him! That's amazing!!!!!!!!"

Another one of my faves was Nile/Napalm Death/Dark Tranquillity/Strapping Young Lad. This was my first time seeing DT play, and ever since, I've been at every DT show that I've known about. I don't listen to their discs a lot, but they're probably the best melodic death metal band out there, in a live setting.

One show I wish I could have seen was Death/Hammerfall.

Well, I've really only been going to shows since December of '05, but since then...

Devin Townsend Band/Dark Tranquillity/Opeth (Feb. 06)
Sanctity/Gojira/Amon Amarth/Children of Bodom (Dec. 06)
Scar Symmetry/Into Eternity/Dark Tranquillity/The Haunted (Mar. 07)

There are plenty I WISH I had caught.

But, I'll add Queensryche/Alice Cooper/Black Sabbath to that list in a few weeks after I see them.

If you take out Killswitch Engage the In Flames/Dark Tranquility/Sentenced tour was one of my favorites along with the Iced Earth/Children Of Bodom/Evergrey tour. The Pantera/Slayer/Static X tour was amazing as well.

But, I'll add Queensryche/Alice Cooper/Black Sabbath to that list in a few weeks after I see them.

Going to see them in a few weeks. That is a good package. Saw a couple of concerts on the Motorhead/Dio/Iron Maiden tour. Luckily for me, I skipped the Motorhead part so I wouldn't have to hear Lemmy sing.

I enjoyed the Collective Soul/Cranberries combo. And the John Waite/Kansas/Styx combo was very good as well. Just a couple of non metal packages that were good.