CDs Of PPUSA XI Bands

DFD260

Feb 3, 2008
Dayton, TN
I'm familiar with most of the PPUSA X bands (Hammerfall, Delain, Kamelot, Nocturnal Rites, Tyr & Stormwarrior) but was wondering what cds from Tarot, DGM, Oceans Of Sadness, Paradox, Seventh Wonder & Illusion Suite to start with.

DGM - Frame, Different Shapes, Hidden Place

Seventh Wonder - Start with Waiting In The Wings, then you'll get Mercy Falls

Illusion Suite - Final Hour

That's all the help I can muster. Anyone else?

I'm familiar with most of the PPUSA X bands (Hammerfall, Delain, Kamelot, Nocturnal Rites, Tyr & Stormwarrior) but was wondering what cds from Tarot, DGM, Oceans Of Sadness, Paradox, Seventh Wonder & Illusion Suite to start with.

Can't help you on most of them....BOTH of Seventh Wonder's CDs are equally phenomenal, IMHO. However, just FYI...the bands you named are for PPUSA XI, not X. They were *announced* at X, but will play XI.

Can't help you on most of them....BOTH of Seventh Wonder's CDs are equally phenomenal, IMHO. However, just FYI...the bands you named are for PPUSA XI, not X. They were *announced* at X, but will play XI.

There are actually Three Seventh Wonder CD's with "Become" being the first, its not as good as WiTW or Mercy Falls, they had a diffrent lead singer then

sava_FREAK

I bought a Tarot CD in 2003, forgot which one it was(got rid of it). I thought it was utter crap. But I know they have a big catalogue. What are the best albums?

For DGM and Seventh Wonder, I believe I can speak with some authority, since I own a few albums.

DGM-The two most recent are the best.

Seventh Wonder- Mercy Falls is their best work and one of the best releases of last year.

The most recent Oceans Of Sadness album is my favorite, "The Arrogance Of Ignorance." I also like "Send In The Clowns," although its rather strange. Definitely their most recent effort though.

I don't really think Tarot have put out a bad album, so you can't really go wrong - but I'll echo the "Crows Fly Black" recommendation, that's probably my favorite. I'm also extremely fond of "Follow Me into Madness".

For Paradox, you gotta go old school, Product of Imagination & Heresy are killer, then the band broke up and reformed in the late 90's, I don't have any of their last 3 since the reformation but I have a feeling they'll play mostly stuff from these vs. their first 2.
Illusion Suite are new with just one album
Crows Fly Black is the last album from Tarot and a fine place to start
don't know about the rest.

For the first time since I've been coming to the fest, I'm not exactly familiar with the line up... so might as well get started early, right? :kickass:

What albums should I pick up from the following bands:

Tyr, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox. and Tarot?

For the first time since I've been coming to the fest, I'm not exactly familiar with the line up... so might as well get started early, right? :kickass:

What albums should I pick up from the following bands:

Tyr, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox. and Tarot?

Tyr- Eric the Red
Nocturnal Rites- Grand Illusion, Shadowland (though all albums in their catalog are great!)

Paradox- only 4 albums, all great. Heresy, Imagination, Collision Course, Electrify

Tyr: The first CD you need by them is, undoubtedly, Eric the Red. It is the pinnacle of their career and is nothing short of stunning. Ragnarok is indeed a fine album as well. If you like what you hear from those, then seek out the other three. Their first album has a different singer, but he's still quite good.

Tyr - Eric the Red and By the Light of the Northern Star
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife, Shadowland, The Grand Illusion
Paradox - Heresy, Electrify, and their new album coming out soon called Riot Squad
Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures, Crows Fly Black

Have fun!

Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures is their best IMO, followed by For the Glory of Nothing, and Crows Fly Black. Their older stuff is for die-hards only, but it is also good (it's more of a classic 80s metal sound). I know that all of their pre-2000s material got re-released a few years ago, so you should be able to find it. It was VERY hard to get a hold of for quite some time.

Paradox - I've only heard their older stuff (Heresy, and Product of Imagination), but they're about equally good. It's thrash with a prog edge.

Nocturnal Rites - The Grand Illusion and The 8th Sin first. The former is guitar-driven, and the latter is more keyboard-driven, but they're both in the same vein of mid-tempo, dark power metal. Afterlife is the best of their straightforward power metal albums. If you want to hear their best stuff with their former vocalist, get Tales of Mystery and Imagination... but be prepared for crappy, low-budget production. The songs are worth it, although they probably won't play anything from it.

Delain - April Rain, Lucidity

Nocturnal Rites - Shadowland, Grand Illusion, 8th Sin

Tarot - Crows Fly Black, Suffer our Pleasures, Stigmata, and all the rest not a bad one in the bunch

Illusion Suite - Final Hour

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls, Waiting in the Wings

DGM - Frame, Different Shapes

I don't really think Tarot have put out a bad album, so you can't really go wrong - but I'll echo the "Crows Fly Black" recommendation, that's probably my favorite. I'm also extremely fond of "Follow Me into Madness".

Also, get yourself "To Live Forever". Great album. "Spell of Iron" is fantastic.