Change your mind on anyone yet??

I was going to post a new thread that basically said the same things Rick.I want to issue a "call to arms" so to speak to everyone out there.How can we expect Glenn to carry on with the festival if we don't give new bands chances to win us over? The older bands will eventually be gone and we will be left with nothing but regrets for allowing the festival to end just because we were too caught up in our own selves to listen to something that might be a little different at times.God knows I'm so thankful I decided to stay for Delain.I've been listening to them ever since that night.If there's one thing I've noticed about Glenn,it's that he KNOWS there will be bitching but in the end THERE WILL BE BANDS that not only surprise us but blow us away at every festival!!!!

Agreed. Plus, I know there's a lot of people where after they've seen a band once or twice, they really aren't as motivated to see them again. We can't keep having bands like Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Evergrey, etc. over and over again.

Since I missed the initial Roster Discussion, here's my thoughts on Next Year's Line-up...

CREATIONS END- Never heard of them until the announcement, really like what I heard on the PP sampler.

VOYAGER- Haven't had the chance to check them out yet.

ELDRITCH- Finally!!!!!!!!! Been wanting to see these guys for a long time now! Have the whole catalog, love all their material.

MOB RULES- Another band I've been waiting for. Mostly familiar with Savage Land and Temple of Two Suns. Hoping to hear lots of Savage Land, but we probably won't get more than 2 or 3. Listening to Radical Peace for the 1st time now. Loving it!!!!!!!!

ARCTURUS- Holy Shit. Long time fan. Tore signed my Sideshow Symphonies when he was here w/ Jorn. Once again, Glenn has pushed the boundaries! Fuck Yeah!

SANCTUARY- Another Fuck Yeah!

HAKEN- Haven't had the chance to check them out yet.

WHILE HEAVEN WEPT- Haven't had the chance to check them out yet but was interested in checking them out after seeing the video.

RED CIRCUIT- Had the 1st album. It was good but nothing really stand-out. Homeland is awesome!

LABYRINTH- Niiiicccceeee!!!! I suspect a set mostly of stuff from Return to Heaven Denied 1 & 2 and Sons of Thunder since Olaf is back with them.

DREAM EVIL- Only familiar with them up through & including United. Looking forward to this! Should be a fun set!

THERION- Does anything need to be said?:headbang:

Very awesome line-up!

At the time of the announcement, Voyager, While Heaven Wept and Therion were the ones I was excited about. I have Eldritch's Headquake and Labyrinth's Freeman and neither really did much for me, so I bought another album of both and will be listening again to see if I can get more positive about it. I heard the Creation's End track on the PPXI CD and it didn't really do much for me. I also picked up an Arcturus (Like a lot) and a Red Circuit (a bit of meh) CD as well.

Thanks, I now have to find and order.

As an introduction....

Creation's End- A New Beginning
Haken- Aquarius
Voyager- I Am the Revolution
While Heaven Wept- Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Red Circuit- Homeland
Eldritch- El Nino
Labyrinth- Return to Heaven Denied
Mob Rules- Radical Peace
Dream Evil- The Book of Heavy Metal
Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale
Sanctuary- Into the Mirror Black
Therion- Gothic Kabbalah

I'm seriously digging Haken/Aquarius. Reminds me of classic Kansas.

Although there are a few passages with this weird circus music sounding shit that I haven't figured out. I've heard it's a concept album, so perhaps all will make sense when I dig out the liner notes. :lol:

To be quite honest...
I did a lot of "WTF" when the bands were announced :lol:

I had only HEARD OF Sanctuary (I love Nevermore btw), but had never really heard them before. I am happy to say I sampled some songs off of Amazon and have purchased their 2 discs.

Therion-I had heard of them, I saw part of their set previously...just not my cup of tea...pass

Dream Evil-I have one of their CD's... they sound like a fun band, will defo enjoy them for sure

Arcturus---Never heard of them, listened to some clips off of Amazon, I like my extreme music but never been a fan of black metal. Guess I am a death metal gal... give me Arch Enemy, Bodom, Carcass, In Flames, Blackguard etc and I'll be a happy camper. Even though Arcturus is not my thing I will at least watch part of their set, they look very interesting shall we say...

Labyrinth--I have 2 of their albums which I have not pulled out for like 6 years, yikes!

Have heard some clips for Red Circuit (sounds like I will enjoy them) While Heaven Wept (still undicided, need to check them out a bit more) and Voyager (OMG, I gotta get all their stuff..love em!)

Mob Rules---I have one of their CD's somewhere, they should be fun

and not really too interested in Haken and Creation's End.. I will still watch their set but they will have to win me over with their live performances.

I always give all bands a chance no matter what, at least the courtesy to stay for one song.

As to the lineup, so far seems pretty solid to me... my only dissapointment was no female fronted bands this year... at least one would have been nice, but as it goes, you can't please everyone all the time, so it's cool :)

I almost enjoy this time the best. Listening and adding new bands to my rotation. Last year, I got to add Delain, Oceans of Sadness, Tarot, & DGM. Can't wait to see what bands I like the most. I can't believe I got to see Oceans of Sadness, their last cd is pure awesome!!! Great guys too.

I almost enjoy this time the best. Listening and adding new bands to my rotation. Last year, I got to add Delain, Oceans of Sadness, Tarot, & DGM. Can't wait to see what bands I like the most. I can't believe I got to see Oceans of Sadness, their last cd is pure awesome!!! Great guys too.

Agree, anticipation is an obvious but curiously overlooked aspect of ProgPower or any other concert/festival, I love to immerse myself in the music I'm going to get a chance to see live.

Of the bands I'm not already familiar with I'm really impressed by While Heaven Wept (reminds me of early Fates Warning) and Red Circuit. I need to familiarize myself with several of the others but I'm sure they will prove themselves interesting at least! ProgPower rules, that is all...

As to the lineup, so far seems pretty solid to me... my only dissapointment was no female fronted bands this year... at least one would have been nice, but as it goes, you can't please everyone all the time, so it's cool :)

Oddly enough, my first reaction (beyond the initial rush of seeing so many great bands listed) was that it was refreshing not to see any "chick bands" or gimmick bands." I have nothing against the After Forevers and DSOs of the world, but I've had my fill at this point. This year's lineup reminds me of the "glory days" of PPUSA III-V.

Therion - Giving them another chance at the moment....bought gothic kabbalah, and sold it to a used cd store, album wasn't for me a couple years ago...maybe i can broaden my horizons...

I'd recommend Lemuria and Sirius-B, then. Or, if you can find one reasonably cheaply, a copy of one of the live releases; all are relatively recent from the band's history and they constitute a good "best of" overview. (Celebrators of Becoming is great for this.)

As for me and the lineup, I haven't had a chance to listen to several of my PPUSA XII CDs, but I've been listening to (apparently rediscovering) Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies and liking it a lot. I'm already a big fan of Sham Mirrors and have played a few songs from it on WREKage fairly often.

Second that! Give Eldritch a chance, these guys are really good at what they do. I guess that is why I put a sponsorship bid in for them. :cool: So, of course, imagine how excited I was when they were announced!

Nice choice for a band to sponsor.

I think Eldritch will wind up being the big surprise band of the fest. The majority will overlook them and then be pleasantly surprised at how good they come off live.

Terence Holler is a really good front man, and Eugene Simone is an elite guitarist.

If anyone has some money that's burning a hole in their pocket get yourself their Livequake DVD. It's a winner.

Britt

If anyone has some money that's burning a hole in their pocket get yourself their Livequake DVD. It's a winner.

Britt

I saw they had a live album out, but I'm one of those weird people I guess that if I know I'm gonna see a band live, I really don't want to hear anything live from them until I see them live. Wow, that sounded more complicated than I meant but you get the point. I'm gonna have to do some research on their discs though. It seems people have an issue with their newer ones, so I'm gonna have to see if I agree or disagree with that assessment.

I know where you're coming from, Simon. Some people prefer that surprise element when it comes to seeing a band live for the first time.

I like their last several discs as much as anything they did when they were more of a prog act. Good band that always seems to fly under the radar a bit.

Britt

Arcturus... based on what I saw in the video, this will be socializing time. I don't even care if the music is good, I don't wanna see some strange bizarre freakshow with my metal.

I went to check, but I think you're stereotyping them since they have a black metal influence in the music. Found this picture. They don't seem to have that freakshow type of black metal that usually is the case with those types of bands you're referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arcturus_2005.JPG

Therion, Arcturus, Mob Rules are all huge favorites of mine.... the first 2 being in my all time top 10... So I'm good... I know a few others and will definitely get into a few more... BUT I"M GOOD! :D Thanks for getting Arcturus... And bringing the mighty Therion back....that is awesome! Mob rules will slay the place live... They are an awesome live band!!

Therion, Arcturus, Mob Rules are all huge favorites of mine.... the first 2 being in my all time top 10... So I'm good... I know a few others and will definitely get into a few more... BUT I"M GOOD! :D Thanks for getting Arcturus... And bringing the mighty Therion back....that is awesome! Mob rules will slay the place live... They are an awesome live band!!

Radical Peace is enough for me to come to next years fest. That album still floors me.

Glenn, as for next years roster, are you still selling the cds for next years bands or should we get them from our usual places? Thanks.

I'd say I am still not happy with the lineup ... unlike many who post only happy thoughts on this board. But I will take the time to explore the artists and listen to their material. Glenn's recommendations are worth at least a listen.

I personally think this change in tactic will be risky ... trying to pull in mostly younger and newer fans. But in the end, it is Glenn's festival and his own skin is in the game. So the ticket sales will do the talking.

To me this is a great opportunity for other festivals to step-forward and fill a niche for the older PP audience. Like the Triton Cruise before it was cancelled or the first two BarFest shows.

For me, the appeal of PP has been a chance to see some bands only available at this festival. They were bands I was familar with but rarely if ever toured the States. And then the few unknowns bands on the lineup were an opportunity to explore new bands. But PPXI and now PPXII are mostly composed of unknown bands with limited appeal to me. I suspect I will like some of them and others will be a beer or food run ... which is becoming more frequent every year.

Yet having said that, rarely have I enjoyed the big headliners. My favorites have been the middle bands such as Balance Of Power, Threshold, Vandan Plas, Evergrey, Symphony X, Ark, Angel Dust, Superior, Edguy, CIIC, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Dreamscape, Conception, Circus Maximus, Jorn, JOP, and Seventh Wonder.

Yet I also recognize that part of Glenn's success has meant more metal bands are touring the States in at least a limited capacity and I live in an area they frequent. So there are more opportunities for me to see the bands I like ... outside of the PP festival.