Cheers/Jeers

I would agree on the jeers for the festival not officially starting until Fri and Sat. Not being able to buy the shirt is a loss of margin enhancement to the promotion itself. Loss of the CD is also a shame. The biggest shame is the loss of not being able to go to vinyl to get merch. There has to be a loss of revenue there by not being able to sell merch for the first 2 unofficial days of the festival. There is no good reason for the first two days to be called unofficial.

Big time cheers to Glenn. I met him by coincidence at a restaurant on Tuesday. I introduced myself and told him and his wife of how impressed I was by the organization of the show. How well thought out everything was and the incredibly awesome and random story of someone I met from my hometown thanks to the facebook page. anyhow. He knew I was only going to be there for two days but before leaving he checked with me on my flight plans to offer to put me on the guest list for the Fri and Saturday nights. A total class act in and out.

Reactions: Felixrox
Cheers:

Huge cheer for the BBQ place with excellent affordable food. Nice not having to leave the venue for dinner was awesome.

Most of the bands ran on-time this year.

Most of the bands sounded great. Very happy with the sound overall.

Didn't see people trying to ave seats with shirts or bags this year. All saving was done by having a friend stay behind. This is the way it should be done.

This was probably the smoothest run year of the festival in the 4 years I've been coming. Well done from and complements to all of the promotors and staff.

Jeers:

Bands don't bring enough mech. Happens every year that they run out of stuff immediately. I planned to spend a lot more than I did because bands were out of shirts my size or just didn't bring much to sell. I guess the bands didn't want the couple hundred dollars I brought home with me that I planned to spend at the mech table.

Would be nice if they did the goody giveaways and festival shirt sales on Wednesday (since Wed/Thu are suppose to be part of the official festival now).

This isn't really a comment on the festival, but they really need more trash cans in the courtyard. It would really promote keeping it clean if you didn't have to search for a trash can.

I really have no idea why Rage and Refuge don't draw bigger crowds at ProgPower. Refuge killed it, and they had one of the smallest floor crowds of the festival. Thanks Glen for booking them even if it seems like many didn't care.

Venue seemed pretty hot this year. A little more AC would have been nice.

Really? I love those songs, although I'm really curious about the line-up. :)

Are you kidding? I love those songs. Look at my screenname. No one was a bigger fan than I was when MP was in the band. I saw them 75 times before he left. Just take a look at what you wrote again. ;)

This isn't really a comment on the festival, but they really need more trash cans in the courtyard. It would really promote keeping it clean if you didn't have to search for a trash can.

I thought it was great that there were so damn many trash cans compared to previous years. They seemed like they were everywhere IMO.

Venue seemed pretty hot this year. A little more AC would have been nice.

Generally, that's for the benefit of the singers. We've had that before and it's probably a function of the outside temp to some extent. It was weird to leave the actual theater for the bar area and feel it be so much hotter out there than it was inside the theater part.

Just take a look at what you wrote again. ;)
OK, can you give me a hint? It might just be that my brain function is at, oh, around 60% today. I meant the premiere of the suite being performed in its entirety, not the individual songs. :p

OK, can you give me a hint? It might just be that my brain function is at, oh, around 60% today. I meant the premiere of the suite being performed in its entirety, not the individual songs. :p

Ooooooooh, never mind. Got it. Fixed it. :erk:

P.S. Good thing I'm off work today.

I missed out on the fest this year, as I am about to birth a fully formed human baby from my loins.
However, I wanted to share a few thoughts from the ol' armchair, as I obsessively stalked any and all #ppusa related posts:

-Cheers to Glenn and Jen for another year; knowing that this fest continues to march on each year just warms the cockles of my tar-black heart.
Same goes for the crew. Cogs in a well oiled machine. You all deserve high fives and unlimited slices of your favorite pie.
-Cheers to SwordLord and Milton for all their hard work as well; I am really stoked that the fest has become a four day event and you guys both deserve hats off from us all for your dedication to making ProgPower even more memorable.
-Cheers to Glenn specifically for guidance regarding my sponsorship once I found out I was pregnant and wouldn't be able to attend.
-Cheers to Soupy and his lovely lady Jen for carrying a print-out of me on a stick, and the #flat-danae hashtag so I could keep track of the photos. It was awesome to feel like I was there in some way with my extended family!
-Cheers to OrbWeaver for facetiming me so that I could participate vicariously in the drunken shenanigans at the venue and at the Courtyard. You da bestest.
-Cheers to the folks who used (NOT abused) the Facebook Live feature. It was great to peek into the windows from afar and see bits of the sets in real time and enjoy them alongside friends.

-Jeers to me for not being able to go, but I'm stoked for this baby so I can't be too mad, can I?
-Jeers to Crazy Mike for doing what he does every year (seeing so many posts about how he ruined things AGAIN for so many of my friends made me really sad and angry). I'm confused as to why he hasn't been banned yet as well, and the only thing I can come up with is the fact that he's the poster child for how NOT to ProgPower.
-Jeers to whoever allegedly pooped themselves during Hevy Devy's set. I'm sure more information will come to light soon, but that's just repugnant. I mean I get it; I nearly shat myself the first time I saw him live...nearly being the operative word. Then again, maybe this should be included as a cheer for Devin Townsend literally rocking the shit out of his set.

See you next year, folks!

Cheers to whoever the blind gentlemen is who attends this festival. That guy is more metal than anyone else at the festival.

Cheers to Green Carnation. Although I've owned LoD,DoD since 2002, it's never blown me away. However, it turned out to be the best 60 minutes of live music I've ever witnessed.

Jeers to those who mosh during a prog metal show. I'll happily stand on the edge of a pit all night long and push people back in play during performances of death metal, black metal, or any of the more brutal sub-genres I enjoy. But if you're moshing during a Devin Townsend set you need to learn a thing or two about the genre.

Cheers to everybody involved with putting it together and keeping it running smoothly all week long. Props to Hoyt for scoring me a replacement vendor badge after losing mine sprinting into catch the Rage set. Also cheers to meetings all the cool people at Divebomb table who wanted to talk shop, learn about our bands or just take a peek at what we had for sale.

JEERS:
1) TURN DOWN YOUR F'N PHONE BRIGHTNESS WHEN IN THE HALL. I had to yell into two people's ears during RAGE because they were looking at their Aquarium (I assume) visit photos. It's f'n rude to everyone else in a dark room and yes we can ALL see it.

That also goes for people filming leaving their FLASH ON. We don't want to see any lights other than what is coming from the stage.

2) People excusing drunk attendee's behavior because they know them. Annoying is annoying and it's not cute or funny and it could be threatening to people "not in the know". Drunk and disrespectful people should get tossed regardless of long time attendance or not. Buying a ticket yearly doesn't give people carte blanche.

Reactions: Prog_Muse
Cheers:

Glenn, Jen and crew for always putting on an amazing fest.

All the bands that destroyed this year - Devin, Gentle Storm, Scar Symmetry, Green Carnation, and Savage Messiah, et al.

The BBQ food choices in the venue this year.

All my friends and peeps who I get to hang with each year.

Jeers:

The shitty uncomfortable seats I had to sit in for hours. It's time to redo the cushioning again.

The varying sound quality from band to band. Some sounded great while others like ass. My biggest pet peeve is not being able to hear the guitar player on the opposite side of the stage from where I sit. Especially during the solos.

A personal jeer to myself for waiting too long to grab a Freedom Call shirt. Only to find out they were sold out. Same deal with Green Carnation.

Jeers to Stream of Passion and Gentle Storm for not bringing any merch. Really??

Cheers to Green Carnation. Although I've owned LoD,DoD since 2002, it's never blown me away. However, it turned out to be the best 60 minutes of live music I've ever witnessed.

This was me in a nutshell. Listened to it back in the day, have enjoyed it over the years including prepping for the fest. But that performance was as near a religious experience as an atheist can get. The band was playing so well, they had a ton of intensity, and looked like they were having a blast. The whole place was on their feet clapping at the end.

-Jeers to Crazy Mike for doing what he does every year (seeing so many posts about how he ruined things AGAIN for so many of my friends made me really sad and angry). I'm confused as to why he hasn't been banned yet as well, and the only thing I can come up with is the fact that he's the poster child for how NOT to ProgPower.

I'm feeling like this is the same guy who tried to ask me for a Days 1-2 presale code.

Should have been a warning sign right off.

Cheers:
The Gentle Storm - IT WAS MAGICAL.
Devin Townsend - I had entirely too much fun watching this set! His between-song banter was too funny!
Making new friends!
HEAVY METAL PARTY
Next year's lineup: ANGEL DUST OMFG

Jeers:
The random dude that groped me at the Artmore on Wednesday. WTF dude, you do NOT have permission to touch me. My close friends can do that, YOU can't, whoever you are. Next time, if I catch you, I will be forced to bloody your nose, asshat.

The individual that shat himself during Devin Townsend's set. I mean, if you're going to shit yourself, there's something...correct...about it happening during Heavy Devvy, but ye gads man, GO CHANGE. Don't make the rest of us smell you. The BO on the floor from other individuals was bad enough without adding your poop-smell to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prog_Muse
Cheers:
  1. Glenn and Jen for this marvelous fest (Hope you enjoy the tequila)
  2. Promoters for keeping PP alive all this years
  3. All bands for putting an excellent performance no mater what the sound was good, excellent or bad.
  4. Mr. Ernesto at Sausalito.
  5. Matthew Rudzinski at DiveBomb table for always being friendly.
Jeers:

1. All those idiots that instead of enjoying seeing a band live threaten people with this mosh or slam shit.

See ya next year
Francisco aka TlalocFJCV

2) People excusing drunk attendee's behavior because they know them. Annoying is annoying and it's not cute or funny and it could be threatening to people "not in the know". Drunk and disrespectful people should get tossed regardless of long time attendance or not. Buying a ticket yearly doesn't give people carte blanche.

I agree to that, hope next year Glenn can say a word about it.