Cover Art faves

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
I just recently got "At Vance - Only Human". Not only is it a great CD (in the old style Malmsteen/Rainbow/Dio vein with FANTASTIC vocals by Oliver Harmann), but it probably has some of the best cover art (Luis Royo) I have seen in years.

Atvance2002.jpg

Any particular favorite cover art pieces you guys have? :)

Royo is my ABSOLUTE FAVE!!!!
I would definalty like to use his talent for our next release!
Boris is also one of my other favorites. both have a unique way of bringing things to life.

I feel like a jackass because I don't know their names right off hand and I am at work and do not have access to the CD's but there are 3 or 4 other artists who are jsut as amazing!!!!

slacking off at work
Dustin

I like Blind Guardians last 2 covers: Nightfall and Opera. I love the detail on Nightfall and all the cool little fantasy creatures on a night at the Opera are cool. Both covers have so much going on. And Edguy's Savage poetry is cool too, lot's of things going on and well drawn

I'm a sucker for the horror art of Wes Benscoter who did a Slayer cover, some covers of SOD Magazine, some works for Relapse Records.

Also, Hugh Syme who did covers for Megadeth, Rush, The Tiles, Aerosmith, Warrant does a fantastic job.

Dale Beliveau who did the cover work for New Sun is excellent also.

John

Derek Riggs is good, but Luis Royo is amazing. In fact if anyone knows where I can get Royo poster art, I'd be much obliged.

Can't remember his name, but the Iron Maiden front covers are so great - Powerslave is a real work of art (both cover and album!).

Best cover ever though is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

I did try the Royo website, and although they show thumbnails of his posters, they don't allow you to order anything! Or at least I couldn't find anything...

Google is a great idea - thanks, I'll try that now! :)

The recent Rhapsody artwork is very good - especially Rain of a Thousand Flames and Power of the Dragonflame. Their web site is pretty impressive too (and funny).

"Mighty Downloads"...heh.

The art of Travis Smith his work is great! I love his cover of the Nevermore album "Dead Heart In A Dead World"

The Ionnis creation of the early Fates Warning "The Spectre Within" and "The Guardian Awakens" sleeves.
And both Onward albums, "Evermoving" and "Reawaken" done by them.

Another favorite of mine is the "Sad Wings Of Destiny" album sleeve

FYI...

Derek Riggs is the one who did Powerslave for Iron Maiden. In fact, he has done most of their classic art work.

My favs...
I like the new Rhapsody stuff, Blind Guardian (Middle Earth), and most of the Maiden artwork (see above).

Count me in for Travis Smith! I am also quickly adding Mattias Noren to my list of favs. This guy keeps getting better and better with every release. He is the one responsible for Evergrey, Star One, Wolverine and countless others. Check out www.progart.com and look at the latest Star One art. Awesome!!

I have to agree that Travis Smith and Luis Royo rule. Both Nevermore and Elvira Madigan have choosen thier artist carefully. Wish more bands would do so.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by eppst1
FYI...

Derek Riggs is the one who did Powerslave for Iron Maiden. In fact, he has done most of their classic art work.

Wow - I would never have thought. And he did the Gamma Ray CDs right? Look at Powerslave compared to, say, Powerplant. Yuk!

I have to say, I hate the old Gamma Ray covers, and I think their new ones (the spray paint graffitti style) are even worse! (No reflection on the music thankfully). :)

Somewhere in Time artwork is phenomenal. There is so much going on. And the Stratovarius Infinite cover is pretty nice looking.