Dark Power Metal?

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
Is there any music out there that would classify as aggressive power with a black/doom/evil like influence - but WITHOUT the brutal vocals though (such as Enslaved etc).

Perhaps it would be spawned from a Mercyful Fate type influence? The vocals don't necessarily have to be completely clean though - I just found The Grave Digger and thought it sounded awesome.

Is there anything else similar to Grave Digger?

Also, can anyone explain why Viking Metal has to sound black? I just thought that the imagery and subject matter would correspond moreso to fantasy/power moreso than death, and it weirded me out a little. Even the cover art typically resembles a power type sound as opposed to brutal.

Thanks.

Power Doom category I guess....not sure if this is accurate, but the following bands have a darker edge (and not necessarily sing about damsels in distress etc):

Doomsword
Squealer
Sacred Steel - Slaughter Prophecy
Manilla Road
Sacred Oath
Tad Morose - Undead
White Skull

Rhapsody's Rain of a Thousand Flames and Power of Dragonflame have a much darker sound - lots of 'classic horror influence in the compositions'.

Otherwise, you are drifting towards thrash at this point - and I think Kreator's "Violent Revolution" is just awesome. And then of course there is At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul...oh my god!!