Dio exploited?

Everything is more valuable when someone is dead and people Jump
On the bandwagon of RIP. Look at trivium and dimebag. They sucked the dimebag sack when he passed and have since become 4x larger in their popularity. People were buying tickets to see Michael jacksons funeral. Who runs the michael Jackson company and makes all his money?

If your in the position to do it and are whole heartedly doing so then there should be no problem, however aside from Wendy, I think there are a lot of bad examples like the ones I stated.

...Everything is more valuable when someone is dead and people Jump On the bandwagon of RIP. Look at trivium and dimebag. They sucked the dimebag sack when he passed and have since become 4x larger in their popularity...

From my end, in retail, I never see that happening. My suppliers always send out lists of titles by an artist as soon as they're deceased, but the sales never materialize. Not that I 'stocked up' on Dio anyway, but it's been my experience through the years that that doesn't happen.

I really don't have a problem with Dio merch being pushed. I honestly think that most fans would buy this stuff, because we're crazy about the guy. I think that by owning and wearing Dio merchandise we're proudly waving the Dio banner so to speak. Dio fans won't let his spirit die. As far as Wendy is concerned, only she knows her true intentions. All we can do is simply speculate.

...by the way, I'd be the first in line to buy official Criss Oliva merchandise!

~Brian~

Everything is more valuable when someone is dead and people Jump
On the bandwagon of RIP. Look at trivium and dimebag. They sucked the dimebag sack when he passed and have since become 4x larger in their popularity. People were buying tickets to see Michael jacksons funeral. Who runs the michael Jackson company and makes all his money?

If your in the position to do it and are whole heartedly doing so then there should be no problem, however aside from Wendy, I think there are a lot of bad examples like the ones I stated.

What's hilarious about Trivium is that they launched their signature Dean guitars based off the Dimebag designs. The singer's had his with the Japanese flag on his and the other guitarist had his in a weird V shape based on Dime's guitar design. That lasted like 6 months. Now they use Gibson and Jackson guitars. What the hell happened?

Since Dio’s death Dio merchandise is starting to flow out to fans as if it is coming from Gene Simmon’s ass. The Official Dio Fan Facebook is constantly advertising of the latest Dio crap that Wendy can stamp his name on for the fans to have something to remember the icon by. I guess his albums are not enough we also need a baseball with a rubber stamped signature on it. Amazingly Wendy happens to find a lot of this stuff. I think she most have started “finding” before the death cause the pimping started before the corpse would be cold in the ground.
Now Wendy and her cohorts say that this will not go the existent of KISS merchandising but album cover guitar picks are only the first step. It could not be long until we have action figures, lunchboxes, Dio heads on slippers, or Dio condoms.

I tend to agree with you. Many of the items on the official website are exploitative of his memory. But Wendy has every right to sell and market it. Likewise, you and I have every right to be disgusted by it.

On the positive side, there are many recordings and videos which will finally receive an official release.

I think a Dio action figure would be cool. I have the McFarlane Ozzy one, and it's pretty nifty.

I have the Ozzy one as well, but after the infamous Iron Maiden incident, I banished 'him' out to the garage. Hope you're enjoying the cold, Ozzy!

well see, I have an idea Dio will continue to put out albums like Tupac does.

And if these are quality re-releases this would be a problem.....why?

Is it so damn hard to understand that some people like myself think it's tasteless to see the dead whored out?
My girlfriend had a pretty good merch idea, she suggested a cancerous growth with the Dio logo on it now there is something to remember his life and death by seems to make more sense than a baseball.

Two cheers for tastelessness.

I don't know why, but this made me LOL....
I guess because it's placed so elegantly in the midst of a lot of pissing and moaning.

This is probably the first and last time the word "elegantly" has been used to describe something I've said.

And for that, I give you this:

ronnie-james-dio-statue.jpg

Shut yer faces. He's elegant, and immortalized in some European country nobody has ever heard of.

You must be kidding. Not even gonna argue this...

I've known several bands that when they play, Mexico, for example, would tell me afterwards, when they were doing autographs after the concerts, that in Mexico over half of the CDs they signed were either a CDR or a manufactured bootleg. As far as Italy, Euro laws toward bootlegs are alot tougher, and there's not nearly the bootlegs in Europe there once were. And BTW mafia doesn't have anything to do with it.

If no material were coming out at all, people would be just as likely to complain.

My advice:

Deal with it. Even if you do find it disrespectful, obviously not everyone shares that view; so what are you going to do about it? Argue on the Internet with them?

Well that's fucking productive.

by the way there already is a dio action figure:
AUTOIMAGES%5CKBD100.jpg

okay, so it's a statue. Same deal.

*EDIT*

fucking hell. I have to remember to actually read the entire thread. That shit's already been posted.

Furthermore, it's not hard to find news of RJD planning on having himself immortalized in plastic as early as 2003. Apparently he was pretty excited at the prospect but let's be honest: Who wouldn't be?

Maybe the OP is envious that his product won't sell as much as Niji's?

OH SNAP.

Maybe the OP is envious that his product won't sell as much as Niji's?

While that cheap shot is good for a few laughs from the peanut gallery, it is way off base.

Is it really so hard to understand how some fans - those who hold Dio and his musical legacy to be almost sacred - could be disturbed by the extent of the marketing that has gone on lately? Imagine an artist or album that you connected with on a very personal level or that helped get you through a tough time in your life suddenly stamped on a host of disposable trinkets.

I'm not saying that everything that is coming out is junk (that statue in particular is pretty cool), or that Wendy doesn't have the absolute right to market it (and it's admirable that she's putting a portion of the money into charity). But I do understand why it would make some fans would be uneasy.