Disturbed is back

Mardoch

Defender of the Universe
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm surprised this hasn't come up. I know there are Distrubed fans here in no small number. Personally, my tastes changed away from their sound, but they still put on a badass show and I'd go see them again.

The single:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this new song. I enjoy their last couple ones, but not the early stuff, which had some rap thing going on if I remember well.

I like this new song. I enjoy their last couple ones, but not the early stuff, which had some rap thing going on if I remember well.

You are probably thinking of "Down With The Sickness", which was kinda an exception for them. Otherwise, they have a pretty consistent sound. Generally, you know what you are getting from album to album.

I definitely respect an individual's opinion so know that much up front. However, would you mind elaborating on why you dislike the song and the band? I'm just curious.

I know there are fans of the band on here, but I seriously don't get it. I just think its really bad music. Their music to me is bland and generic, everything sounds like bad 90s post grunge mixed with nu metal.

I recall liking 10,000 Fists, but nothing else from them really captured my attention. I'll check this new tune out when I get a chance.

Britt

*update* I decided to spin "10,000 Fists" to see if I still like it ... I only made it thru 6 or 7 tracks. I guess I don't need Disturbed in my life after all, although their cover of "Land of Confusion" is quite excellent.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan; it's just not heavy enough for me. If their singer didn't have such a distinct voice, it would song just like Breaking Benjamin with a little double bass drum every now and then. So yeah it's tough boy hard rock that's maybe not as simple as Linkin Park or something, but definitely not heavy enough for me to headbang, and not thought provoking or dynamic enough for me to enjoy as anything other than background noise. People who are still into that radio rock sound from the late 90s will love this, because it's just like the Disturbed of old.

If their singer didn't have such a distinct voice, it would song just like Breaking Benjamin with a little double bass drum every now and then.
So if they didn't have their own sound, they'd sound like everyone else? :loco:

If people don't like Disturbed, I get that. Different strokes... However, you can't knock them for not being original. Draiman's voice, love it or hate it, is as original as anyone's in Metal and singers are most frequently the most recognizable component of any band.

So yeah it's tough boy hard...
Again, I think this is something of unfair criticism. Their lyrics are better thought out than most of what's discussed here:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/disturbed/anotherwaytodie.html

And the lyrics to "Out of Line" (from Draiman's solo album) were some of my favorite of 2013:

Their Machiavellian minds
Concoct their wicked designs
They think they're standing on the side of destiny
Constricting freedom again
They've wrought the ultimate sin
They've made pariahs of the sons of liberty

And in the name of their God
They wage their war and applaud
The deadly dogma that controls society
Who fucking gave you the right
To spread perpetual night
Your holy rationales have never made sense to me

It seems destruction is a form of success for you
These tragic visions of loss will never leave me
You try to justify the pain that you've brought
But you're out of line

I kinda view them as the modern version of AC/DC: There isn't much surprise from album to album, but no one else really sounds like them.

Even as a fan of Disturbed, I still get amused by this:

Even as a fan of Disturbed, I still get amused by this:...

Wow, that was great! :D

Seriously though, I've always thought that Disturbed stood out from rest of the late 90s/early 2000s radio metal crowd with a unique sound and better lyrics. Liberate and Prayer are two of the best radio songs to come out of that era IMO. If I have to listen to popular metal from that era, I'll take Disturbed over 90% of the other bands.

I love them from Ten Thousand Fists on up. Especially, Indestructible. Old school metal sound, excellent vocals, and finally the appearance of guitar solos. I've seen them twice and both were great shows.

I kinda view them as the modern version of AC/DC: There isn't much surprise from album to album, but no one else really sounds like them.

Even as a fan of Disturbed, I still get amused by this:

thanks for posting this video, it saved me from looking for it. I'll have to check out the new tune.

Okay that was a pretty cool song and not exactly within their normal formula, but not far from it either. The video is shit, just Dorito-impacted beer shit. I'll get this upon release I suppose.

I love their stuff from Believe on out, as long as Draiman keeps the monkey noises in check. I was slightly disappointed by the only time I saw them live in 2010, but only because the set was cut way short due to the multi-band bill with Avenged Sevenfold and Stone Sour.

Fair assessment, Zod. Draiman's voice gets to me after a few tunes. It's distinct, but not to my taste at all.

I have seen them live, however. And they are a damn solid live act. So I won't knock their success. Very deserved.

I love their stuff from Believe on out, as long as Draiman keeps the monkey noises in check. I was slightly disappointed by the only time I saw them live in 2010, but only because the set was cut way short due to the multi-band bill with Avenged Sevenfold and Stone Sour.

Completely agree with you on both those points. I've seen them 3 times and that was the last tour I saw them on--very weak set consisting of their singles, which I generally find to be their weakest songs. I didn't really listen to much music until probably freshmen year of high school around the time Believe came out. That was the first album I bought and a big part of my musical beginnings. Loved Believe and TTF, but the albums after that tend to have a few tracks I often skip.

I find the new song to be pretty generic and it doesn't sound that much different(maybe a little) than a lot of their prior stuff, yet Disturbed isn't a band to really expect much progression from. The video is actually dreadful and probably ruined the song for me, haha. But I'm sure the rest of the album will meet my expectations and sate any need for to-the-point hard rock/metal.

If people don't like Disturbed, I get that. Different strokes... However, you can't knock them for not being original. Draiman's voice, love it or hate it, is as original as anyone's in Metal and singers are most frequently the most recognizable component of any band.

I agree that Draiman's voice is unique (even though I can't stand his vocals) but musically they aren't original, its as generic as nickleback.