early top 15

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Here's my top 15 for this year as of now. Things may change if something awesome rudely interrupts my normal programming though.

15. ReinXeed - Majestic
14. First Signal - st
13. Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
12. Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest
11. Wuthering Heights - Salt
10. Masterplan - Time to be King
09. Wicked Sensation - Crystallized
08. InnerWish - No Turning Back
07. Astral Doors - Requiem Of Time
06. Grand Illusion - Brand New World
05. Treat - Coup De Grace
04. Dream Evil - In The Night
03. Pathfinder - Beyond The Space Beyond The Time
02. Rage - Strings To A Web
01. Sabaton - Coat Of Arms

Here's mine so far. There's quite a few recent releases that I haven't gone through yet so this could easily change.

15. Disdain Leave This World
14. Accept Blood Of The Nations
13. Engel Threnody
12. Rock Sugar Reimaginator
11. Mutiny Within Mutiny Within
10. Vanden Plas Seraphic Clockwork
09. Bullet For My Valentine Fever
08. Sabaton Coat Of Arms
07. Innerwish No Turning Back
06. ReVamp ReVamp
05. Exodus Exhibit B: The Human Condition
04. Blind Guardian At The Edge Of Time
03. Solution .45 For Aeons Past
02. Soilwork The Panic Broadcast
01. Pretty Maids Pandemonium

So far, I only have a Top 9:

1. Brant Bjork - Gods & Goddesses
2. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
3. Accept - Blood of Nations
4. Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River
5. Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence
6. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
7. Ihsahn - After
8. Throes of Dawn - The Great Fleet of Echoes
9. Sister Sin - True Sound of the Underground

Edit: How did I forget Drudkh's Handful of Stars and Fracture's Dominate and Overload?

Here's mine so far. There's quite a few recent releases that I haven't gone through yet so this could easily change.

15. Disdain Leave This World
14. Accept Blood Of The Nations
13. Engel Threnody
12. Rock Sugar Reimaginator
11. Mutiny Within Mutiny Within
10. Vanden Plas Seraphic Clockwork
09. Bullet For My Valentine Fever
08. Sabaton Coat Of Arms
07. Innerwish No Turning Back
06. ReVamp ReVamp
05. Exodus Exhibit B: The Human Condition
04. Blind Guardian At The Edge Of Time
03. Solution .45 For Aeons Past
02. Soilwork The Panic Broadcast
01. Pretty Maids Pandemonium

Well we've got 2 in common in your 8 and 7 picks. Pretty Maids and Accept are also close but not in my top 15. Also like Disdain. BFMV is a huge disappointment for me. I bought their previous disk and this one didn't do a jot for me.

So far, I only have a Top 9:

1. Brant Bjork - Gods & Goddesses
2. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
3. Accept - Blood of Nations
4. Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River
5. Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence
6. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
7. Ihsahn - After
8. Throes of Dawn - The Great Fleet of Echoes
9. Sister Sin - True Sound of the Underground

Nowt in common. Also I haven't heard 6 of these with 2,3 and 7 being the exceptions.

1 Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
2 Rage - Strings To A Web
3 Overkill - Ironbound
4 Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River
5 Votum - Metafiction
6 Pretty Maids - Pademonium
7 Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
8 Grand Magus - Hammer Of The North
9 Brant Bjork - Gods & Goddesses
10 Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned
11 Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
12 Sabaton - Coat Of Arms
13 Solution .45 - For Aeons Past
14 Keep Of Kalessin - Reptilian
15 Mekong Delta - Wanderer On The Edge Of Time

Britt

Nowt in common. Also I haven't heard 6 of these with 2,3 and 7 being the exceptions.

1. Brant Bjork - Gods & Goddesses - ex-Kyuss drummer handling everything. If Hendrix was crossed with Lenny Kravitz, and it was awesome, it would be this.

4. Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River - members of Swallow the Sun, Moonsorrow, Kreator and Amorphis. The music occupies a head space not altogether different than Opeth's.

5. Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence - similar to the latest Mastodon, with more of an Avante-garde slant.

8. Throes of Dawn - The Great Fleet of Echoes - dark and Gothic. bands like Agalloch and Katatonia are good reference points for this one.

9. Sister Sin - True Sound of the Underground - sounds like Shout era Motely Crue, with female vocals

Yeah, maybe a bit quick on the Kamelot but it seems to be growing. I've played it five or six times so far.

I don't know why I like the Keep disc .. it's just something kind of agressive and catchy. It's a gym disc.

The Mekong Delta is Progressive Thrash with a high quality singer .. the dude from Tomorrow's Eve. You should give this one a chance.

Britt

Zod - thank you so much for the quick overview of Sister Sin. I've been very curious about them and your description just sold me on them. Will be purchasing this weekend at Amoeba Records!!

Drew ~

1. Brant Bjork - Gods & Goddesses - ex-Kyuss drummer handling everything. If Hendrix was crossed with Lenny Kravitz, and it was awesome, it would be this.

4. Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River - members of Swallow the Sun, Moonsorrow, Kreator and Amorphis. The music occupies a head space not altogether different than Opeth's.

5. Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence - similar to the latest Mastodon, with more of an Avante-garde slant.

8. Throes of Dawn - The Great Fleet of Echoes - dark and Gothic. bands like Agalloch and Katatonia are good reference points for this one.

9. Sister Sin - True Sound of the Underground - sounds like Shout era Motely Crue, with female vocals

Most of these are not my cuppa based on your descriptions. I actually posted about Sister Sin so know them well enough but have no interest in hearing the full album. I guess you are far more adventurous and broadminded than me when it comes to music. Avant Garde music doesn't appeal to me one iota. My brain doesn't respond to meander or musical adventure. You could say I am pop music fan with the metal and rock field.

Zod - thank you so much for the quick overview of Sister Sin. I've been very curious about them and your description just sold me on them. Will be purchasing this weekend at Amoeba Records!!
No problem bro. It's quality stuff.

Most of these are not my cuppa based on your descriptions.
Understood.

I guess you are far more adventurous and broadminded than me when it comes to music. Avant Garde music doesn't appeal to me one iota. My brain doesn't respond to meander or musical adventure. You could say I am pop music fan with the metal and rock field.
That's cool. Just curious, how long have you been listening to Metal?

I only have 10:

1. Wizards - The Black Knight
2. Gamma Ray - To the Metal
3. Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
4. David Garrett - Rock Symphonies
5. Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
6. Wicked Sensation - Crystalized
7. Revamp - Revamp
8. Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
9. Rhapsody - The Frozen Tears of the Angels
10. Scorpions - Sting in the Tail

Though I'm waiting to listen to 9 albums that will be released in the next couple months :)

Intruiging. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I finally heard the new Mekong Delta last night and its the best thing I've heard this year. I don't see anything, including the new Kamelot, unseating it either. Amazing stuff. Probably their best yet. Definitely the best singer they've had. The thrash elements are toned back a bit but there's enough there that its undeniably Mekong Delta.

I like that Mekong Delta .. the tracks that are actual songs are really killer. The intros, segues and instrumentals kind of wear on me a bit and keep fme rom ranking it real high, but overall it's a strong disc. Martin LeMar is excellent on vox.

Britt

I just checked the Mekong Delta album based on recommendations here. It has most definitely moved up to the top of my To Buy list. This is a really nice surprised.

Are their other albums like this new one?

Still working on my list but so far:

Phonomik - Soul Creeper(yea recorded in 2009 but just released by Nightmare)
Myrath - Desert Call
Sahg - III (awesome)
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Colockwork
Dreylands - Rooms of Revelation
INNERWISH "No Turning Back"
Tarot - Gravity of Light