Gamma Ray greatest power metal ever????

panzermastery

May 10, 2005
As far as output,longevity,lyrics,class,etc. I think I would probably consider them the greatest ever!!!! Anybody else agree? If not name one band who you feel is the greatest POWER METAL of all time!! Blind Guardian is probably right there also but I still think GR is best!!!!!! Helloween used to be but lately they have let me down. If GR is not your fav name one who is!!!

It's a toss up between Gamma Ray, Rhapsody, and Blind Guardian for me. Blind Guardian being my favorite out of the three. It's funny, because I was just listening to Majestic yesterday.

Gamma Ray are extremely consistent, but sadly not very innovative. I like to pretend Helloween stopped existing in 1993, so they're number 1 in my book. I still don't get why Blind Guardian are lumped in with power metal though, aside from the wizards and dragon lyrics they occasionally employ, they have very little to do with the 'power metal' style on a musical level. Truly a unique band.

Yeah rightttttttt! Have you heard the pop on their latest? I don't think you can consider the greatest to have music like that amongst their collection, my opinion. I much prefer Iced Earth, Brainstorm, Symphorce, Kamelot, Angra type power metal to those that you listed...

Bear

Gamma Ray are extremely consistent, but sadly not very innovative. I like to pretend Helloween stopped existing in 1993, so they're number 1 in my book. I still don't get why Blind Guardian are lumped in with power metal though, aside from the wizards and dragon lyrics they occasionally employ, they have very little to do with the 'power metal' style on a musical level. Truly a unique band.

A unique power metal band no doubt.

I've never been able to get into Gamma Ray actually, don't know exactly why, just haven't. I absolutely love Blind Guardian so I would say theyre my favorite but I also love the bands Brainstorm, Angra, Kamelot, and Symphorce that were mentioned also.

Edguy and Stratovarius definitely need mentions. Without Stratovarius, imo, Sonata Arctica wouldn't exist - as they all cite Strato as huge influences.

Wasn't a huge fan of Gamma Ray until the No World Order album.

I guess it depends on how you define, "power metal".

If Iron Maiden and Judas Priest aren't "power metal", what kind of metal are they?

If you want the kings of the, "rapid-fire double-bass kick overkill so much that it makes all the songs sound the same" bands, then I agree that Gamma Ray is king.

If Iron Maiden and Judas Priest aren't "power metal", what kind of metal are they?

If you want the kings of the, "rapid-fire double-bass kick overkill so much that it makes all the songs sound the same" bands, then I agree that Gamma Ray is king.
I call them traditional metal although Iron Maiden's last 3 records have been more of a Progressive direction.

Priest and Maiden are Heavy Metal

if you mean power metal as in same category as maiden, mkaiden for sure

if you mean towards the progressive side, im gonna have to say overall it would be either symphony x or maybe someone like stratovarius.

gamma ray is good but by no means the best of anything