'Great' Prog Metal Releases (2005-2009)

If you've not listened to Silent Memorial's "Retrospective" (2009), then give it a shot. It has Mike Andersson (Cloudscape) on Vocals. It's Prog, it's Metal - and it's an ass-kicker. I'm a die-hard Tomorrow's Eve/Circus Maximus/DGM/Vanden Plas fan to the core. This shit is right on target. A great album all the way through, and one of my absolute favs of 2009!

If you've not listened to Silent Memorial's "Retrospective" (2009), then give it a shot. It has Mike Andersson (Cloudscape) on Vocals. It's Prog, it's Metal - and it's an ass-kicker. I'm a die-hard Tomorrow's Eve/Circus Maximus/DGM/Vanden Plas fan to the core. This shit is right on target. A great album all the way through, and one of my absolute favs of 2009!

I agree. Great album!

Dream Theater-Octavarium
Dream theater- Black Clouds Silver Linings
Beyond Twilight-For the Love of Art and the Making\
Pagans Mind-Enigmatic Calling
Redemption-Fullness of Time
Circus-Isolate

Have more but I wanted to really try and limit it to the ones that i found absolutely "great." It was tough but these albums have meant the most to me. Also i'm sure ive forgotten one or two. More lists guys and gals!

The question of "traditional form" versus "everchanging amorphous form" progressive rock/metal would keep my idea of a list fairly short.

I could throw an album like Oceansize - Frames* very high up there, but it doesn't fit the narrow box of "traditional progmetal" a la Dream Theater style.

So, I would list The 2nd and 4th Redemption albums, but NOT the first nor the 3rd.

I'll include Ziltoid the Omnisicent and Syunchestra, no matter how many people hate either/or /both.

* to name but one example.

Several I would list are already on here (Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind)...but one I haven't seen mentioned is Psychogeist by Age Of Nemesis. Particularly like Eye of the Snake on that disc.

Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
SikTh - Death of a Dead Day
Protest the Hero - Kezia
Russian Circles - Enter
The Faceless - Akeldama
In Vain - The Latter Rain
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Sculptured - Embodiment
Arsis - We Are the Nightmare
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Long Distance Calling - Avoid the Light
Soundscape - Grave New World

The question of "traditional form" versus "everchanging amorphous form" progressive rock/metal would keep my idea of a list fairly short.

I could throw an album like Oceansize - Frames* very high up there, but it doesn't fit the narrow box of "traditional progmetal" a la Dream Theater style.

So, I would list The 2nd and 4th Redemption albums, but NOT the first nor the 3rd.

I'll include Ziltoid the Omnisicent and Syunchestra, no matter how many people hate either/or /both.

* to name but one example.

Agreed on Ziltoid. I totally neglected for some reason the Devin Townsend albums...maybe it's because I wouldn't exactly consider him traditional. Doesn't matter to me though. I hope this upcoming tour of his hits Chicago.

Agreed on Ziltoid. I totally neglected for some reason the Devin Townsend albums...maybe it's because I wouldn't exactly consider him traditional. Doesn't matter to me though. I hope this upcoming tour of his hits Chicago.

You'd be right in not calling him traditional. That's my point. I haven't really listened to traditional since '99, and even then I liked the weird outliers more than anything else.

I think there have been a good number of great traditional prog metal releases in those 4 years. Maybe not as many as before that time period, but still a great number of gems have been there for the taking. I'm thinking that as the years pass by, people get burned out or move on to other things (I know I have even though I still love the genre) with their tastes, so it's more of a change of guard.

Dreamscape - 5th Season (2007)
Hubi Meisel - Kailash (2006)
Scenes - Call Us At The Number You Provide? (2005)
Poverty's No Crime - Save My Soul (2007)
Cloudscape - Crimson Skies (2006)
Red Circuit - Trance-Like State (2006)
Vanden Plas - Christ0 (2006)
Andromeda - Chimera (2005)
Malpractice - Deviation From The Flow (2005)
Seventh Wonder - Become (2005)
Mindflow - Mind Over Body (2006)
Narnia - Enter The Gate (2006)
Circus Maximus - Isolate (2007)
DGM - Different Shapes (2007)
Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling (2005)
Sieges Even - Paramount (2007)
Threshold - Dead Reckoning (2007)
Andromeda - The Immunity Zone (2008)
Cloackwheel - The Crooked Path You've Drawn (2008)
Lanfear - X To The Power Of Ten (2008)
Amaseffer - Slaves For Life (2008)
Aeon Zen - A Mind's Portrait (2009)
Anubis Gate - The Detached (2009)
Astra - From Within (2009)
Atmosfear - Zenith (2009)
Pathosray - Sunless Skies (2009)
Planeshift - Fate Breed (2009)
Southern Cross - Down Below (2009)

A little more on the crossover/eclectic/quirky side, but still should be mentioned:

A.C.T. - Silence (2006)
Pain Of Salvation - Scarsick (2007)
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence (2006)
Wolverine - Still (2006)
Voyager - UniVers (2007)
Votum - Time Must Have A Stop (2008)