Guess The 2015 Roster

I think they only played 2/3 of the Gettysburg trilogy at ProgPower in 2008, but the 2004 tour with Ripper was pretty awesome, they closed the set with the Something Wicked trilogy, then encored with the Gettysburg trilogy + Iced Earth. Not sure how excited I'd be about hearing Stu sing that material although in fairness, I'm not sure Matt ever sounded perfect on it either and I'm an unabashed Matt fanboy.

hence my request that they bring in Ripper for that song :) this was about fanboy dreaming, right? LOL

Thursday

Edguy (playing Theater of Salvation)
Orphaned Land

Friday

Kamelot (playing The Black Halo)
Unisonic
Riverside
Flotsam and Jetsam
Gloryhammer
Dynazty

Saturday

Blind Guardian
Royal Hunt
Voyager
Brainstorm
Santa Cruz
Amoral

I'm still holding out for Poets of the Fall. New album coming soon, large discography, interesting videos, a good live reputation... probably doesn't cost THAT much to book...

That would be an amazing choice for an oddball!

I'll give it a go....

Friday

6. Damnations Day
5. Tierramystica
4. Cage
3. Suspyre
2. Anubis Gate
1. Dragonforce

Saturday

6. Armory
5. Maestrick
4. Dynazty
3. Voyager
2. Scar Symmetry
1. Helloween

Rehiring Barlow was a terrible mistake as it ended up with him leaving after the insanely mediocre Crucible of Man album. Hmm... Barlow also quit after the equally mediocre Horror Show.
I instinctively wanted to disagree with your assessment that he ruined IE by rehiring Matt, but after some thought, I only partly disagree. However, I don't think Matt was the cause by any stretch, merely a coincidental player in the sequence of events. A few thoughts:
1) No vocalist could've saved "Crucible of Man," the songwriting was uninspired and the album lacked energy and intensity. It's honestly a bit sad that Jon saved the Something Wicked storyline for so long because of label issues and whatever else, and then the final product ended up being subpar.
2) Ripper would've eventually moved on anyway, whether by choice or not. He had songwriting aspirations with Beyond Fear and we know how it goes when a member of Iced Earth wants to be a songwriter.
3) Barlow's return and subsequent departure served as a necessary transition period for the band from the tumult of the mid-2000s - Jon's neck problems, label changes, somewhat stagnant popularity as a headliner that couldn't break through to new fans - to a far hungrier version of the band today. Say what you will about the direction that Jon has taken the band, but the period that Matt was back really reinvigorated Jon and he seems to be far more driven now.

Personally, I think Stu is inferior to both Matt and Ripper in the context of Iced Earth, but they've been reaching new fans through far more persistent touring as a support band - something that didn't seem to be on Jon's mind during the Ripper era, and something that wouldn't have been logistically possible with Matt. I think there are a lot of things Jon could do to improve the band and their output, but the evolution of the band from 2008 to 2010 probably extended IE's lifespan.

The one thing I will say is that I'm tremendously glad I saw them in September 2010 in Hollywood, at what ended up being Matt's last US show with the band. They were absolutely on fire, played a crushing setlist, and it was easily the best IE show I've ever seen. The performance of "A Question of Heaven" they did that night still gives me chills.

1) No vocalist could've saved "Crucible of Man," the songwriting was uninspired and the album lacked energy and intensity. It's honestly a bit sad that Jon saved the Something Wicked storyline for so long because of label issues and whatever else, and then the final product ended up being subpar.
Agreed. I've had the chance to interview Jon twice. During one of those interviews he made it very clear, it's not about the vocalist, it's about the songwriting. In hindsight, the double-album concept story was overly ambitious.

2) Ripper would've eventually moved on anyway, whether by choice or not. He had songwriting aspirations with Beyond Fear and we know how it goes when a member of Iced Earth wants to be a songwriter.
I think you're accepting Jon's account of the issues with Tim. Tim was all set to go and record the new record, when he got the call that he was fired. Short of Tim stating that he wasn't intending to stick with IE for the long haul, I'd say it's all just speculation.

3) Barlow's return and subsequent departure served as a necessary transition period for the band from the tumult of the mid-2000s - Jon's neck problems, label changes, somewhat stagnant popularity as a headliner that couldn't break through to new fans - to a far hungrier version of the band today. Say what you will about the direction that Jon has taken the band, but the period that Matt was back really reinvigorated Jon and he seems to be far more driven now.
I would say that this is a case where correlation does not equal causation. While I agree Jon needed to get his house in order, I'm not sure the singer turmoil aided this process. I think the new album is a solid effort, but not exactly a return to glory.

Personally, I think Stu is inferior to both Matt and Ripper in the context of Iced Earth, but they've been reaching new fans through far more persistent touring as a support band - something that didn't seem to be on Jon's mind during the Ripper era, and something that wouldn't have been logistically possible with Matt. I think there are a lot of things Jon could do to improve the band and their output, but the evolution of the band from 2008 to 2010 probably extended IE's lifespan.
Agreed on Stu. He's an excellent singer, he's just not on par with Matt and Tim. Then again, few are. I also agree that his presence has provided the band with a healthy energy.

So if IE had wanted Ripper to do nothing but IE, then yes, he would have left at some point. But if they accepted he could do multiple projects, like the guys in DT do between tours, Ripper would have been there for the long haul. Even being 'fired', Tim has gone out of his way to say good things about his time in IE. And he still believes that Gettysburg is his best recorded performance of all time. I agree. :)

Why notb savatage headline both nights
Zak Friday and Jon Sat?
Or something

That's a GREAT idea, but I think the Sava thing is dead. Have they announced the lineup for Wacken?? Also, I can't see getting Oliva, Pitrelli, Caffery, Middleton and Plate together at a time TSO is kicking into gear. A GREAT idea, though. Criss (RIP) era one night and post Criss era the next. :loco:

Chris :headbang: