Make your final predictions for Prog Power 5.

My thoughts are:

Conception/Kamelot- One of these is a definite based on Glen's passion for Conception, Tore's schedule and Kamelot's lack of dates\

Sonata Arctica- This a perfect time in their career to try for the states. They have to be here.

Edguy/Pain of Salvation- I think it is obvious that of the PPIII bands, these are the two ones with the most appeal from the fans and best reception- My bet is on POS, for the Prog part of the show.

Adagio- I agree- it is time to get these guys here!!

Jon Oliva solo??- I don't see this one up here, but even w/ the C2C guys, I think it is new enough to be different from last year.

Magnitude 9- The US contingent has to make it- Even though Corey sang w/ Redemption last year, I think they will make it.

Tad Morose - or something of the sort- need the Mercenary like band w/ some POWER.

Wandrail said:
How likely/possible do you think it would be to see Skyclad on one of these bills - is anyone besides me interested in 'em?

Would have preferred them with Martin Walkyier still in the lineup, but oh hell yeah...

I fucking LOVE Skyclad.

Ryan

Wandrail said:
How likely/possible do you think it would be to see Skyclad on one of these bills - is anyone besides me interested in 'em?
I have a few Skyclad albums. While I really liked them when I bought them and I still like the music in them a lot (especially the first two), I can't listen to them anymore because of the lyrics. Politically, I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian and Skyclad's lyrics are about as far left and opposite from my views as possible. They also occasionally endorse violence. I put Martin Walkyier in the same catagory as those environmentalists who burn down laboratories that experiment on animals or who drive nails into the trunks of trees that will be cut down so the saw bounces back and kills the lumberjack - basically, a wacko. I am not saying that environmentalists are totally wrong but some of them (including Walkyier) are way too extreme. His lyrics prevent me from liking the band and totally ruined some really awesome music. If Skyclad is one of the bands playing at PPV, it would not prevent me from going (provided that the other bands are good) but at the say time, I would not be chearing for them at all.

Ninkasi said:
I have a few Skyclad albums. ... I can't listen to them anymore because of the lyrics. Politically, I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian and Skyclad's lyrics are about as far left and opposite from my views as possible.

yes, he's probably crazy, but as far as the lyrics, despite the message, his wordplay is sheer brilliance at times!!

Ryan

Ninkasi said:
If Skyclad is one of the bands playing at PPV, it would not prevent me from going (provided that the other bands are good) but at the say time, I would not be chearing for them at all.

you do realize Walkyier isn't in the band anymore...

Ryan

Oh Man, Skyclad would be a dream come true! It's a shame Martin ain't in the band anymore, they were one of my favrorites..

About the lyrics; not only they are brilliantly written, I love the messages as well...

I don't often see them mentioned, but with the (almost) original lineup back together, how about SIEGES EVEN? And with that lineup, maybe some early SE as well like 'David'...

And Watchtower, just to match the pair together (they are playing Europe at festival together as well)

holdfast said:
I don't often see them mentioned, but with the (almost) original lineup back together, how about SIEGES EVEN? And with that lineup, maybe some early SE as well like 'David'...

And Watchtower, just to match the pair together (they are playing Europe at festival together as well)
Either or both would be awesome. I have all five of the Sieges Even albums and would really like to see them live. The last I heard was that several members of Sieges Even were working on a side project - I guess they must have scrapped it in favor of bringing Sieges Even together again. I wonder if Oliver Holzwarth is still going to play bass for Blind Guardian if he's back with Sieges Even?

Ninkasi said:
I have a few Skyclad albums. While I really liked them when I bought them and I still like the music in them a lot (especially the first two), I can't listen to them anymore because of the lyrics. Politically, I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian and Skyclad's lyrics are about as far left and opposite from my views as possible. They also occasionally endorse violence. I put Martin Walkyier in the same catagory as those environmentalists who burn down laboratories that experiment on animals or who drive nails into the trunks of trees that will be cut down so the saw bounces back and kills the lumberjack - basically, a wacko. I am not saying that environmentalists are totally wrong but some of them (including Walkyier) are way too extreme. His lyrics prevent me from liking the band and totally ruined some really awesome music. If Skyclad is one of the bands playing at PPV, it would not prevent me from going (provided that the other bands are good) but at the say time, I would not be chearing for them at all.
Yeah, that is true, I have always tried to ignore that aspect of it, but that guys out anyway, isn't he?? I'm quite the right-winger myself, and a christian even so I take issue with alot of things in my preferred musical areas :lol: but oh well. Listen to Neal Boortz much (speaking of atlanta)?

Politically, I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian

^^^^ is such a thing even possible? Those are nearly diametric opposites. ;)

jaimek said:

I don't want to get too much into politics here but libertarians and liberals are very different. Libertarians generally support both individual freedom and economic freedom. Liberals traditionally support individual freedom (to an extent) but not economic freedom. There are many sites on the interent that describe these political philosophies in more detail and I won't do so myself.

Wandrail said:
Yeah, that is true, I have always tried to ignore that aspect of it, but that guys out anyway, isn't he?? I'm quite the right-winger myself, and a christian even so I take issue with alot of things in my preferred musical areas :lol: but oh well. Listen to Neal Boortz much (speaking of atlanta)?
Generally speaking, I ignore the lyrics if I don't like them (which is oftentimes the case when the author speaks English as a second language - I suppose mine would be really bad if I tried writing in their language ;) ) or don't agree with them. However, when the lyrics are a very important part of the band's music as in the case of a band such as Skyclad, I can't ignore them. Even when I do disagree with the lyrics, they still don't bother me much as long as they are not at the extreme edge of the spectrum (as is Walkyier's lyric's case).

No, I don't know who Neal Boortz is.

jaimek said:

I'm kinda surprised that you'd say that, Jaime. :)

Libertarians can generally be classed into two groups: "right-approaching" and "left-approaching" libertarians, based on how they "come into the fold" of libertarianism. Right-approaching libertarians believe most strongly in fiscal -- but probably not social -- conservatism: "that government is best which governs -- and taxes -- least." Left-approaching libertarians are those who believe most strongly in social liberalism, but aren't as emphatic when it comes to government control or taxation.

Neither is a perfect fit with the Libertarian Party's official platform, which is one reason why the Party never seems to accomplish much: their stances are too extreme.

What's the difference between a Libertarian and an anarchist?

Why, none. But the anarchist has kewler hair. Check out the mohawk."

:D

I never post here, but some of you know me... I fully plan on being at PP this year, only have made it to the innaugural one in Illinois so far. Here's who I'd like to see -

1. Angra
2. Sonata Artica
3. Adagio
4. Nocturnal Rites
5. Rhapsody
6. Kamelot/Conception
7. Shaman
8. Edguy
9. Section 16
10. Theocracy

JH

Hope goes like this