Mosh Pit's at Progpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never said weren't going to come. Believe me we are fans of many progpower bands like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Evergrey, Dungeon, Rage, Primal Fear, Savatage, Devin Townsend, Running Wild, Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Nevermore, Angra, Burning Point, ect... So you see were are fans very much of this music just like anyone on this forum.

Hell, Helloween is my fav band ever and they are the least aggressive out of everything i listen too.

anyways like I said we will not mosh. :]

moshing at a music festival like this one is stupid. i don't usually mind mosh pits as long as i don't have to participate. but i usually have to participate or be slaughtered. at this one concert i was recovering from a shoulder dislocation (did it at a swim meet) and i was hoping to not hurt myself at this concert. but people kept crashing into my shoulder and landing on my head. i like the idea of not moshing at progpower, i can pay more attention to the music that way.

I would understand moshing at Progpower if the average age of the crowd was 15. Okay, it's metal, but it's more about the music than the energy. As far as the energy goes, you can feel the energy without having to slam your ass onto that poor guy standing by you. That in my opinion is not a matter of energy, but stupidity. It's just my point of view though, not trying to ofense anyone here. And yeah, Slipknot's show would be the best to mosh. Just look at those morons beating the shit outta each other on stage.

I've seen Savatage, Nightwish, Angra, Helloween, Gamma Ray and so on in Brazil, and there were mosh pits at every single one of them!!!!! But they are not as violent as in Death metal/hardcore shows! I sincerely believe it is fun.. People who do not want to get involved either stay in the back or right up front...
I was at the rage mosh pit and I would do it again if it wasn't for the rule.

People could JUMP at least.... If any of you can get a copy of Savatage's video in SAo Paulo in 1998! It;s the greatest thing during Gutter ballet.. When the heavy part kicks in and all 15 thousand people started to jump.. The energy level is amazing..the band looks amazed on stage... It's very cool. Don't give me any of this maturity crap...

First off, I couldn't imagine moshing to any of the bands at this festival. I enjoyed myself in my seat all last year.

I do think that while moshers are sometimes irritating. I don't let them bother me as I go no where near them.

I think what is worse at shows are the people that act older than half the senior citizens that live in nearby Sun City here in central Arizona. As mentioned before, at Progpower, I just don't envision it as the type of atmosphere where moshing would be any fun anyways so the pit like at last year's Rage show looked like more of a pit you would see at a small local show. I will say I love looking at the people's faces that look all disgusted because they go to a concert, spend their money, and aren't getting the chance to stand around with their arms crossed in peace. I love prog and power alot don't get me wrong but I can see where the snobby attitude that most people think of when they think of these style of music comes from.

At Progpower, I can understand as it is mostly rare bands getting only chance to play here. At all other shows, there is a thing called having fun and everyone paying for a ticket has a right to having fun in their own way as long as they aren't harming the other patrons. I don't mosh, they never bother me, and I have tons of fun even if it means doing a tattooed polka dance while listening to the lighter moments of Pain of Salvationo_O

Angrafan said:
I've seen Savatage, Nightwish, Angra, Helloween, Gamma Ray and so on in Brazil, and there were mosh pits at every single one of them!!!!! But they are not as violent as in Death metal/hardcore shows! I sincerely believe it is fun.. People who do not want to get involved either stay in the back or right up front...
I was at the rage mosh pit and I would do it again if it wasn't for the rule.

People could JUMP at least.... If any of you can get a copy of Savatage's video in SAo Paulo in 1998! It;s the greatest thing during Gutter ballet.. When the heavy part kicks in and all 15 thousand people started to jump.. The energy level is amazing..the band looks amazed on stage... It's very cool. Don't give me any of this maturity crap...

I agree with you there 100%. I hear the Brazilian metal fans are the most dedicated and most intense and energetic heavy metal fans in the world. I think it's cool that if not moshing people can at least headbang , jump alot, and do crowd surfing at least. If i were in a metal bands that plays fast, heavy, and very energetic music and I were on stage in front of a thousand people and the crowd was doing nothing I would be like " Are they bored or something? " Trust me bands love it when they can see there fans going nuts ! Weather it is headbanging, moshing, jumping, or crowd surfing.

Glen,

Is crowd surfing outlawed as well ?

tattooedsean666 said:
First off, I couldn't imagine moshing to any of the bands at this festival. I enjoyed myself in my seat all last year.

I do think that while moshers are sometimes irritating. I don't let them bother me as I go no where near them.

I think what is worse at shows are the people that act older than half the senior citizens that live in nearby Sun City here in central Arizona. As mentioned before, at Progpower, I just don't envision it as the type of atmosphere where moshing would be any fun anyways so the pit like at last year's Rage show looked like more of a pit you would see at a small local show. I will say I love looking at the people's faces that look all disgusted because they go to a concert, spend their money, and aren't getting the chance to stand around with their arms crossed in peace. I love prog and power alot don't get me wrong but I can see where the snobby attitude that most people think of when they think of these style of music comes from.

At Progpower, I can understand as it is mostly rare bands getting only chance to play here. At all other shows, there is a thing called having fun and everyone paying for a ticket has a right to having fun in their own way as long as they aren't harming the other patrons. I don't mosh, they never bother me, and I have tons of fun even if it means doing a tattooed polka dance while listening to the lighter moments of Pain of Salvationo_O

I also agree with you. We pay alot of money for this show and we should be able to have fun any way we want as long as we aren't causing serious damage. As the Angra fan also pointed out , If you don't like mosh pits stay in the back, side, or front row.

No. It's not fun when you can only have one eye on the show and the other to watch who might plow into you. Moshing is useless and serves no purpose except to possibly cause injury. And most likely to an innocent person who has nothing to do with the pit at all.

You can jump and headbang all you want, just DON'T FUCK WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU, WHO DO NOT WANT TO BE FUCKED WITH. It's a simple, common courtesy that I'm sure anyone can understand. Don't tell us that if we don't want to get slammed into by some huge sweaty sasquatch, then we can just go somewhere else. Chances are, we've stood there for 6+ hours to make sure we get a good view of the bands we like, so don't screw the whole evening for us by knocking us down while we're trying to enjoy the show. There's a time and place for everything, but ProgPower is not the time or the place for moshing. I pay too much damn money to get there, to have it ruined by having to worry about some guy's elbow jamming into my balls while I'm watching Savatage, you know?

I don't really like or want to encourage moshing. But I do have to agree with tattooedsean666 about one thing. I just really don't get the people who make their way up front only to stand there, arms crossed, gently nodding their heads. How about a little enthusiasm/appreciation? Show some excitement. I feel sorry for some of these bands who probably look down into the crowd and wonder WTF is wrong.

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
I remember last year at progpower during Rage when myself and some other fans moshed it up for those heavy metal gods that there were people complaining about it!

I sure don't know why? It's a metal show \m/ so it shouldn;t be no surprise to anyone. There have been shows in my area with Blind Guardian, Symphony X, and even Dio and all the shows had pit's and nobody complained unlike last year at progpower. I surely like to get some mosh pit energy goin for Adiago, & Edguy. Oh btw my friends who also want to mosh it up are no fans of bands like Deicide or Suffocation . Unlike the guy who blamed death/black metal fans last year for the pit during Rage.
I'm not going to harp on you like some of the others. I started out with bands like Dio, Accept etc. then moved to thrash/speed and eventually to power and prog though I still listen to some of my oldschool stuff once in a blue moon. I used to love to mosh, and am still tough enough to stand my own in most pits at 6'1" 190 lbs. and plenty of football experience, but...... I am 35 years old. The average age of the PP attendee is about 32. Most, including myself just aren't that interested in a pit anymore. I don't think moshing is bad, but rather it's inappropriate for this particular show.

Bryant

I go to a concert to see the band. If you mosh you are too busy running around like a jackass to see the band. Moshers are lame. And honestly should not be allowed to any concert since they act like fools. You want to jump fine. Do anything you want as long as you are not distracting or molesting others. The second you do that you are interfering with somone's ability to enjoy the show. If you can not understand why that is wrong then there is something seriously wrong with your thought process.

Go enjoy the music, if you have to molest other people to enjoy music there is something wrong with you.

linving here near Tampa, Florida (dubbed the Death Metal Capital of the World) people mosh to just about anything. I was at the Cult/Lenny Kravitz show (Ceremony tour) and people moshed to Kravitz. Rediculous, yes I know, but it did happen.

Point is, I can see people moshing to PP type bands, but I'm glad that aspect of the concert experience won't be allowed at PP.

Not that I have anything against it, I've done my share of crowd sufring during Slayer, Machine Head & Biohazard shows... but I don't think it fits in with the overal cool vibe that PP has.

* a side funny note, at the above mentiond Slayer/Biohazard/Machine Head show, even the Death Metal Capital of the World has it's limits to moshing. My good friend (and now PP attendee) goes down in history as the only person I know EVER to be kicked out of a Slayer show for moshing too much. It is a TRUE story. And no, it wasn't violent moshing, just fun moshing/crowd surfing.

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
I agree with you there 100%. I hear the Brazilian metal fans are the most dedicated and most intense and energetic heavy metal fans in the world. I think it's cool that if not moshing people can at least headbang , jump alot, and do crowd surfing at least. If i were in a metal bands that plays fast, heavy, and very energetic music and I were on stage in front of a thousand people and the crowd was doing nothing I would be like " Are they bored or something? " Trust me bands love it when they can see there fans going nuts ! Weather it is headbanging, moshing, jumping, or crowd surfing.

Glen,

Is crowd surfing outlawed as well ?
I think the Greek fans would have something to say about that. =P

Bands do love it when people are into the music and feed off the energy a crowd exudes. I know plenty of bands that think moshing is stupid and don't get into it at all, while others thrive on it. There are other ways to go nuts rather than slamming into people who don't want to be slammed into... hell, I'm a headbanger and jumper. A lot of you have seen it. I play a weak air guitar, but I still do. I sing along and pump my fists, yell and clap. You don't think bands don't feed off my energy doing that just as much as you mosh monkeys? :p

Personally, I could care less as long as it's not violent and fun and the people around the pit don't care and are OK with it. Problem is, there's usually one or two jerks that ruin the pit and are there just to cause problems and inflict pain. They are the reason, imo, that ProgPower attendees are not into it and don't like it, hence the rule. Plus we're getting to be old fucks and we need more recovery time than work and life allow. ;P

So answer your own question on crowd surfing. :)

Zilla

Creeps said:
linving here near Tampa, Florida (dubbed the Death Metal Capital of the World) people mosh to just about anything. I was at the Cult/Lenny Kravitz show (Ceremony tour) and people moshed to Kravitz. Rediculous, yes I know, but it did happen.

Hey, where you at Creeps? Born and raised in Tampa, I'm now in Brandon.

This year will be my first PP. I have planned to attend the past few PP's but unforseen events have prevented this. I will be attending this year come hell or high water...or mosh pits. To each his own, but I happen to like the 'No Mosh' policy. I just don't see how this enhances the concert going experience and, all too often, seems to infringe on others enjoyment.

BTW, first post...I'm a noob.

jkohn said:
I don't really like or want to encourage moshing. But I do have to agree with tattooedsean666 about one thing. I just really don't get the people who make their way up front only to stand there, arms crossed, gently nodding their heads. How about a little enthusiasm/appreciation? Show some excitement. I feel sorry for some of these bands who probably look down into the crowd and wonder WTF is wrong.
I don't know about nop, but most fans in Japan didnt even make a peep while bands were playing a few years ago.. they waited until the song was over to show their appreciation.

TheWhisper said:
Hey, where you at Creeps? Born and raised in Tampa, I'm now in Brandon.

This year will be my first PP. I have planned to attend the past few PP's but unforseen events have prevented this. I will be attending this year come hell or high water...or mosh pits. To each his own, but I happen to like the 'No Mosh' policy. I just don't see how this enhances the concert going experience and, all too often, seems to infringe on others enjoyment.

BTW, first post...I'm a noob.
1st off - GO LIGHTNING 2-1 over the Isles woooooooooooooooooooo

2nd off I'm in Spring Hill with my other buds that travel up there, actually 1 is a police officer in northeastern Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.