Mosh Pit's at Progpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenebre said:
I go to a concert to see the band. If you mosh you are too busy running around like a jackass to see the band. Moshers are lame. And honestly should not be allowed to any concert since they act like fools. You want to jump fine. Do anything you want as long as you are not distracting or molesting others. The second you do that you are interfering with somone's ability to enjoy the show. If you can not understand why that is wrong then there is something seriously wrong with your thought process.

Go enjoy the music, if you have to molest other people to enjoy music there is something wrong with you.

I take total offense to that. I have been into metal since 1982. I have absolutely no respect for ANY mosher that demonstrates his/her aggression toward anyone that does not want it. I have been moshing since about '84 and to this day I will hit the biggest, baddest, strongest person in the pit there is with all the force I can give, but I will hit the smaller guys with less force and will not involve people who do not want to be involved. I don;t go around hitting people who are not in "the pit." I also have never been involved in any "pit" at Prog Power because I don't think it is appropriate for the style of music.
The only people I have ever hurt in my life in the pit were the drunk or drugged up, or simply obnoxious assholes that liked to make "the pit" dangerous to those in the pit or those that aren't involved. I'm the kind of guy that will take a knee in my back helping someone up or get in someone's face for hitting people that don't wan't to be involved.
I can't stop someone from knocking the shit out of someone who isn't involved in the pit, but I can make him pay for doing that. I don't tolerate bullies.

Bryant

moshing is ridiculous, IMO and bottom line....... I watched it so often (unvoluntarily so) and always thought I was watching a bunch of aggressive, un-educated, braindead apes (and yes, you can take offense all you want, I take offense in being hit and trampled on by those uhmmmm people just "by accident".....while watching a concert). And NO ONE can really, honestly, and with GOOD and STABLE arguments, state that moshing has ANYTHING to do with music.......or is needed to enjoy music. It is and always will be just ridiculous......Put them in a Zoo, play them some metal if they think they need to mosh to it and lock the cave........problem solved.

:)
let the bashing begin..........

" I'm the kind of guy that will take a knee in my back helping someone up or get in someone's face for hitting people that don't wan't to be involved. "

Problem is that is 1% of moshers at most shows. I never get in a pit since I am always in the front row. But I feel the people behind me getting beat on all night long at most shows. Then there are crowd surfers... but thats another story altogether.

Yes, if everyone was like yourself it woudlnt even be a problem. But you should be able to realize that most people dont give a rats ass about anyone elses enjoyment of the show.

Do any of you guys who go to regular metal shows never expect moshing to happen or do you guys happen not to go to many metal shows? Gosh not matter what kind of a metal show i go to i expect the unexpected. wether it is moshing., crowd surfing, ect... I mean come on it doesn't matter what style of metal it is. I am not one of those moshers either that hit people who don';t want to be involved in the pit. i happen to help out anybody i see in trouble in a pit who did nothing to deserve being hurt. I mosh becuz metal fuels me! I also do it to show bands on stage appreciation for there music. I mean come on people i think more metal fans ( not saying all ) showed show the bands on stage putting on a show for YOU more energy!!! People do get hurt in mosh pits all the time but hey it happens ya know! Also the pit at Rage last year as I said was NOT violent. So i don't know what the fuss was about? Many of you guys either must not go to many metal shows or you only go to metal shows where people only stand and do nothing.

point is you can head bang, fist pump, or many other things and show teh same energy without bothering other people. I dont care is people mosh. Many people smoke crack. In fact, even metal heads. Doesnt make it any less idiotic.

Ttd666, it boils down to this. Glenn said anyone moshing will be out on their ass. No ifs, ands, or buts. So, the discussion about moshing is a moot point right now. We don't need moshing and we don't want moshing. Let's just move on.

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
WTF does smoking crack have anything to do with my discussion about moshpits?
It's called an analogy.

I.E. Some people smoke crack, but not all people smoke crack. Just because some people smoke crack doesn't make it right or particularly intelligent.

Some people enjoy moshing to um, Edguy and Pain of Salvation, but not all people enjoy moshing to Edguy and Pain of Salvation. Just because some people enjoy moshing to Edguy and Pain of Salvation doesn't make it right or particularly intelligent.

Get it?

moshing blows... I want to listen to the music and have fun..not worry about somebody trying to kill me from behind. Im glad that moshing was the least of my worries when I went last year. But I wasnt down in the pit area during Rage either...I just heard about that moshing.

(I know...Im quite late...just expressing my very late and obvious opinion. lol.)

If Anyone Is Complaining About A Mosh Pit, Punch Them In The Face. Metal Is Used To Get Aggression Out By Many, Including Me. Into Eternity Will Bring Out A More Aggressive Crowd. Ive From Albany, Ny. And We Like It Heavy Up Here.

oh......very intelligent remark, suits moshers though IMO.

Seems you can afford an expensive ticket for a great festival even though you know beforehand that you will get kicked out early??
Give the money to charity, make some sense and save everyone from this stoopid shit.......

Now, before you read my post and get all uppity - I'm not going to mosh.

There seems to be a few unwritten rules about what to do at metal concerts - as for power metal, it's definately the whole fist pumping, mild headbanging thing. I don't like to generalize, but a lot of power metal fans I've seen have been the stereotypical scrawny geeks. Then again, there are some buff dudes...doesn't matter...the point is, it seems for stuff like Nightwish, Kamelot, whatever, it's only stationary limb movement.

The weird thing is, the rules seem to get bent once a band reaches iconic status. Sure, Iced Earth is power metal, but you definately DO get mosh pits there. Maiden, Iced Earth, whatever...I don't think it's why it happened for Rage though. Power metal pits are weird for another reason, which is that they're much more friendly than something like a punk concert. There, you gotta make sure you don't die. At every metal show I've been to, people moshing around have been considerate, although you may all think that's an oxymoron..

It's 4 in the morning and I have an exam tomorrow...I can't do anything but ramble....um...the problem is that numerous people like me enjoy moshing - it undeniably brings you more into the concert experience, it brings spontaneity and physicality to go along with the music, and makes you feel more like a part of some collective.

So yeah, I know people can get hurt...hell, people probably got hurt tripping down the dark stairs last year. Ideally, we could have a space up front for moshing, or at least more physical concert-going, i.e. jumping around. Problem is, then the types who bring along their camera or whatever or like to "appreciate" the music will complain, which is understandable...as brothers/sisters or metal, it IS our duty to find a compromise to make the best experience possible for everyone at the concert. As I recall, Metallica was a band that had the right idea a few years back - they had the seperate pit on the interior of the stage, I think. I know it's totally out of the question for Atlanta, and I'm not asking to mosh, I'm just sort of typing as I go.

As a bandmember, I can say that it DOES feel nice to have some movement in the crowd...it's hard to tell when you're half-blinded by lights whether the audience is enjoying it or not, and general running about like mooses in heat accomplishes that.

Wow, I totally forgot what I started typing about. Sorry people, maybe I'll post in a coherent state next time.

I suppose it would be unfair to say something along the lines of "Stay in your seat if you don't want to get jostled"? I guess there aren't enough seats...

But whatever Glenn, it's your baby, you call it like you want. We wouldn't complain if we didn't love you so much :)

If everyone could see everything, it would be fine...I don't think it's so much the danger of getting thrown onto a bunch of beer bottles (I saw Into Eternity!), but somebody enjoying the concert in their own way who doesn't notice a mosh pit forming around him/her. I wouldn't want that to happen to someone, as I'm sure it might be intimidating for somebody who doesn't know what it's all about or is unprepared for it.

Actually, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few people thrown out for moshing for the first band (IE). It shouldn't, but it does amaze how some metalheads can be so intelligent and outgoing, and some look very, very stupid.

I didn't read all the other posts so you might've answered this, but I have a question for you, Glenn. Why are you against moshing? Is it a personal thing, or a risky endeavor from a professional standpoint, i.e. injuries and lawsuits? Or are you just one of the "Moshing sucks. Period." people?

Edit: I was reading over the posts in this thread...maybe it's an age thing, I dunno...I'm only 18. Maybe if I was one of you, I would hate the idea of a moshpit too. The problem is, some of us DO know how to get it going with very, very minimal interference in other people's space...however, there's always that slightly crazy looking 20-something year old with their mouth slightly agape who turns it into chaos by randomly bodychecking some guy drinking a beer from behind. THAT'S the moshpit you people hate, and that's not what I want moshing to be. On a positive note, it doesn't let anyone hog the space in the front since you're always rotating :p

And I think there's also an unwritten rule that you have to stop and sing along to choruses. I totally agree with the guy who was wondering what was up with the guys who go up front, lean on the rail and bob their head.

Then again, if I was moshing, I wouldn't have gotten to see Peavy look at me and say my name at the end of their set (talked with him and Mike for 15 minutes that afternoon. Made my adolescence)

OK, NOW I'M STUDYING. ARGH.

The average age of my ticket buyer is 32.
The average person that attends ProgPower spends a minimum of $500.
The average person (and majority) of the attendees have stated they do not want moshing.
The potential for injury increases with moshing and so does the lawsuit potential.

Glenn H.

"I totally agree with the guy who was wondering what was up with the guys who go up front, lean on the rail and bob their head. "

I may have been one of those guys... The front row crew (you know who you are) Have to be up front forever in order to see the bands they want to see. So during a band they may not enjoy, they are still stuck up front, so the level of energy may be low for that band, but not for the band they are watiing to see from the front row. Or it could be that there is a lack of familiarity with the band playing at the time.

I may have been one of those guys... The front row crew (you know who you are) Have to be up front forever in order to see the bands they want to see. So during a band they may not enjoy, they are still stuck up front, so the level of energy may be low for that band, but not for the band they are watiing to see from the front row. Or it could be that there is a lack of familiarity with the band playing at the time.
I think people who camp out in front during bands they don't like and stand there acting bored just so they can be there for the band they do like suck way more than moshers. You're disprespecting those other bands and you're not being fair to the people who do like those bands and would like to be up front for them.

As far as last year's Rage moshing goes, I think the main complaint about it was that ONE GUY was trying to drag people in who didn't want to mosh, and starting shit with people. He smacked my buddy in the back of the head, and my buddy was about to beat the shit out of him, but he decided not to because he wanted to see the rest of Rage's set.

Those of you who say last year's pit was all nice and warm and fuzzy are completely full of shit. If it wasn't for this one guy, I don't think anyone would have cared about the pit. There was plenty of room on the floor for it, and no one would have been forced in if it hadn't been for that guy.

They seemed pretty out of the way from where I was...I was as close as possible to the stage, and it was only when I turned around halfway through after not noticing anybody nearby that I realized there was some moshing happening...

LOCALX said:
If Anyone Is Complaining About A Mosh Pit, Punch Them In The Face. Metal Is Used To Get Aggression Out By Many, Including Me. Into Eternity Will Bring Out A More Aggressive Crowd. Ive From Albany, Ny. And We Like It Heavy Up Here.
I've been to Albany plenty of times. You've confirmed my suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.